How deadly is Lao Khao?

Lacessit

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Methanol's boiling point is 64.7 C, ethanol 78.4 C. I think you've got it the wrong way around, it would be the first fraction that needs to be discarded.

Correct. I realized I had it backwards and came to see if somebody coorected me. 

Good catch.

So the game is to  discard all the methanol along with just the begining flow of the ethanol. To get the purest ethanol you must sacrifice some of it. If that's not done then you're drinking a headache brew, or worse. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onebir said:

Apparently so:

But there still doesn't seem to be a clear account of what goes on if tin or aluminium is used...

I'm not a chemist but it's probable that you will be drinking some minute amount of the tin or aluminum ions, unbound to other elements. Especially cumulatively this could be bad. 

Silver is a germicide for instance. . Coating doorknobs with silver is one harmless way of reducing an infection vector in public buildings but isn't practiced anymore. And we all know the power of silver crucifixes if we've ever crossed paths with a vampire ????‍♂️

Many people think iron skillets add some iron to their diet. 

Many other metal ions are not so benign. 

Health and safety concerns emerged at that time after it was discovered that the lao khao distilled in aluminium or tin stills produced a by-product of methanol, from the liquid reacting with the metal; the government had to act. Methanol can cause blindness and even death if consumed in large amounts, and the government took charge. Not everyone who produced lao khao was aware of the dangers so the government took over all of the distilleries in Thailand between 1950-1960, switching to stainless steel stills in the process, which were completely safe [sic].

They got bamboozled...

State took over out of pure good of course.

Metal won't distill out, temperature to vaporize it is a 'tad' too high to obtain in a still????

Copper has some disinfecting properties, then again so does boiling and alcohol.

Hear this guy out:

Edited by Jan Dietz
Added quote
  • Haha 1

It tastes worse than detergent, it cannot be healthy! 

I've seen plenty of people who must have been on Lao Khao for decades. So, while certainly deadly, it's a slow killer. Plenty of other things to die from prematurely, from motorcycle accidents to smoking cigarettes.

9 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I'm not a chemist but it's probable that you will be drinking some minute amount of the tin or aluminum ions, unbound to other elements. Especially cumulatively this could be bad. 

Silver is a germicide for instance. . Coating doorknobs with silver is one harmless way of reducing an infection vector in public buildings but isn't practiced anymore. And we all know the power of silver crucifixes if we've ever crossed paths with a vampire ????‍♂️

Many people think iron skillets add some iron to their diet. 

Many other metal ions are not so benign. 

The only health effect from excessive tin AFAIK is the squits. And most canned goods have been sold in steel cans plated in tin for decades, if not more than a century.

The aluminium furphy came into being when high levels of aluminium were found in brain schists taken from Ahlzheimers patients after they died. Problem was, the samples were obtained using an aluminium microtome.

Cadmium , nickel and mercury are the nasty ones.

Still a mystery to me why Lao Khao distilled from tin or aluminium should have higher levels of methanol, unless it is a matter of a confounding variable being missed by whoever drew the initial conclusion. In terms of reactivity, both metals should be no worse than stainless steel, and certainly less reactive than copper or iron.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:30 PM, Catkiwi said:

Sad circumstances Mate. I doubt any official records are maintained or that any one else pretty much gives a hoot about it. I do know two Expat Mates who's wives both died of severe liver problems, attributed to the LK brew. Just bloody sad!! RIP.

Khon Kaen has the highest rate of liver disease in the world. However, it is mostly due to the somtam.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:11 PM, Orton Rd said:

It's 40 degree not 20, ok if you soak ginseng in it for a couple of months. Ya dong which they sell on the road side is around 20%, some is better than others, some have honey mixed in. That's 50 baht for a small bottle and 30 for an M150 size bottle, never bought a larger one. 

Absolutely correct.

18 hours ago, Snackbar said:

I know nothing about it so I’ll follow the tone and rant on as if I do.

Buy a 50 gram packet of 11 Tigers from the pharmacy, follow directions. Submerge in Lao Kao for 24 - 48 hours. Drink, as prescribed, 20 ml 3 times daily, before breakfast, lunch and dinner.

8544D635-7B32-4EAC-AFA2-8B4B59C48F72.jpeg

9C127F9D-65D1-4926-8E4E-BD072FE03083.jpeg

Adds a good flavor and taste to it. Even better if you ad some honey.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

So does vinegar, remind me to start drinking it, cheaper than any alcohol..:cheesy:????????

You have a point, vinegar is supposed to have a beneficial effect on the digestive system.

As it is 4-8% acetic acid, I would not use it in  windscreen washer fluid because it may accelerate corrosion.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Reminds me of when I used to drink methylated spirits and aftershave back in Scotland. Going  to AA meetings in Isarn, I know all about the bad effects of Lao Khao.

Wondered why that was so popular in the UK.

what a Hum  !!i!:cheesy:

1 - Copy.JPG

Edited by quake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nephew late 20's died from stomach cancer. We blamed it on 40 degree. He was a farm goods rep for CP and would drink the stuff on an empty stomach first thing in the morning with his customers. Its worse than metho.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:14 AM, TSF said:

Lots of local men drink it where I am (rural Korat) most are demented, they're like village idiots, but most are inbred anyway, you can see it in their features. When they take a wife they get a woman from the same village or the next one 5km away. 

can you post an example or two of these evidently inbreds?

im curious what the features are.

11 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

can you post an example or two of these evidently inbreds?

im curious what the features are.

Immobility of facial features, and they stand around a lot looking at nothing. They don't work because they can't understand the simplest instruction, their families feed them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Immobility of facial features, and they stand around a lot looking at nothing. They don't work because they can't understand the simplest instruction, their families feed them.

Perfect description of my wifes stepmum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1