How deadly is Lao Khao?

Lacessit

There are several mentally-impaired teenagers in my GF's village. Fetal alcohol syndrome, quite a few heavy drinkers. Lao Khao is favored, inexpensive and has more kick to it than whisky or rum. I tried a taste of it once, practically pure alcohol IMO.

My GF is at the house of a neighbor, the younger brother, 47 yo, has just died of alcohol poisoning. She is helping out with the usual masses of food prepared for guests. The brother's family has just driven from Buriram to Chiang Rai in a pickup to attend the funeral, ten people, draw your own conclusions.

60 - 70 baht buys one bottle of beer. For that money, one can buy enough Lao Khao to get absolutely plastered.

I'm just wondering if the health authorities keep any statistics on how many people die from Lao Khao, how much toxic methanol is in it, and what the average alcohol content is.

Try pouring a little on the tile floor and putting a lighter to it...it lights on fire. However, it's only 20% alcohol by volume. Not sure how toxic it is, but our small village has the same story of death bu alcohol (lao kao) of two young men.

• Like 1

It's 40 degree not 20, ok if you soak ginseng in it for a couple of months. Ya dong which they sell on the road side is around 20%, some is better than others, some have honey mixed in. That's 50 baht for a small bottle and 30 for an M150 size bottle, never bought a larger one. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are several mentally-impaired teenagers in my GF's village. Fetal alcohol syndrome, quite a few heavy drinkers. Lao Khao is favored, inexpensive and has more kick to it than whisky or rum. I tried a taste of it once, practically pure alcohol IMO.

My GF is at the house of a neighbor, the younger brother, 47 yo, has just died of alcohol poisoning. She is helping out with the usual masses of food prepared for guests. The brother's family has just driven from Buriram to Chiang Rai in a pickup to attend the funeral, ten people, draw your own conclusions.

60 - 70 baht buys one bottle of beer. For that money, one can buy enough Lao Khao to get absolutely plastered.

I'm just wondering if the health authorities keep any statistics on how many people die from Lao Khao, how much toxic methanol is in it, and what the average alcohol content is.

Sad circumstances Mate. I doubt any official records are maintained or that any one else pretty much gives a hoot about it. I do know two Expat Mates who's wives both died of severe liver problems, attributed to the LK brew. Just bloody sad!! RIP.

• Like 2

I trust that most don't use the comparisons with the benzine/chemically-induced <deleted> that passes as commercial Lao Khao and real traditional home brew.

Not even close. Two different beasts. 

More authentic will be the proverbial Ya Dong made with real home/community Lao Khao.

For everyone that's makes Ya Dong, there's a different manner in which to create. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Donekys said:

Try pouring a little on the tile floor and putting a lighter to it...it lights on fire. However, it's only 20% alcohol by volume. Not sure how toxic it is, but our small village has the same story of death bu alcohol (lao kao) of two young men.

The proof  concept originated from whether a spirit distillation would burn or not. Because whether an alcohol/water mix burns is highly dependent on the temperature of the fluid, proof can vary wildly from 40% alcohol to 90% alcohol.

I doubt very much 20% alcohol would burn, wines are up to 15% alcohol. Unless the fluid temperature was raised to something like 50 to 60 degrees C.

At 22 C, an alcohol content of 60% by volume is required before the mixture will burn. Nowadays, nearly all commercial alcohol is labelled with the alcohol by volume content. Never seen any labelling on Lao Khao.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onebir said:

Apparently stills made of aluminium or tin produce more methanol than steel & copper.

Interesting, I did not know that. Aluminium and tin as metals are corrosion resistant, forming passive surface oxides. Steel and copper do not. A difference in valencies, perhaps.

I've had it probably 5-6 times. Local guys thinks it's great fun to see farang drinking Lao khao till the old lady gives me the stink eye. We would mix the whiskey with various leaves to give red color and call it medicine ahahaaa. But many of home remedies has lao khao as ingredient. I don't live in Issan any longer so really don't try it any more. Where I'm at now folks have more money and tend to drink more expensive alcohol.

A couple of small shots followed with water chaser will give a buzz.

Also curious about Sangsom as I like it and have had thais tell me it will make me crazy..

And the Elusive Sangsom Similan which was marketed as an export but not sure if it ever got out of the country and where its being stockpiled as ive found a few dusty bottles..

I also have come upon the Blue label Premium Sangsom...seems a bit lighter...and also dusty bottles that are 8 yrs old...aged!!!!  555 ????

Premium is a lighter version so less hangover it seems..the similan is more vanilla coconut and more of a hangover in my exclusive studies!

Both seem hard to find as most thais dont even know about similan and the bottles are dated from 8 yrs back....im on the hunt!   180 bt for a large

Image result for sangsom rum varityImage result for sangsom rum varity similanImage result for sangsom rum  similan

Edited by ChakaKhan

I would agree, Lao Khao is a regular killer in the villages. As others have mentioned, many locals drink it all day, every day. At any point in time I'd say 50% are drunk. The poo yai frequently announces a 'death by lao khao'.

Wife lost her father a month ago and her 76 year old, alcoholic, stepmum seems on track to be the next announcement.

When I lived in a village outside of Wang Sam Mo many years ago, there were M-150 bottles at all of the mom and pop stores stacked many bottles deep and in rows, full of the stuff.  Sold for 20 baht a bottle, and there were plenty of drunks laying around still drinking it by 9 am n the morning, and then begging for more money to buy another bottle.  Others would buy a bottle, shoot it, and head to work in the fields.  I personally had a bottle I kept for antiseptic purposes of cleaning out wounds on the dogs as it was a hell of a lot cheaper than isopropyl alcohol.  

• Like 1

I'd say Lao Khao causes many problems for Thais. It's way too cheap for the strength and damage it does. In the village, a few of the locals were always drunk with one guy totally incoherrent and stumbling about. How he lived until nearly 60 is amazing. Typically it was the shop bought stuff but occasionally it was a the "underground" brew from a jungle still. I tried both and one sip is one too many. Total gut rot. Also tried the Yaa Dong which is a bit more palatable due to the herbs and honey. The Thai government should forget about taxes on wine and instead tax Lao Khao at 1000% or more for the deadly damage it does. That's just in health let alone it's effect on dunk driving casualties. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

I don't know how deadly it is, but a spoonful go's into wy windscreen wiper water along with a drop of detergent. 

Keeps the insects off the window, and a bottle lasts a couple of years. 

We used to do that with duty free vodka in Germany. It was cheaper than screen wash.