Trump faces Tuesday deadline to deliver formal response to impeachment as trial looms

webfact

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Trump contradicts himself all the time, so it's par for the course.  But we can all fantasize about Trump showing up at the trial and arguing that the election was rigged and therefore he was still President.  This would remove the "unconstitutional" excuse that the Republicans have been claiming.  His lawyer would have to quietly convince him "Sir, you lost and are no longer President.  That's why they can't convict you."  And then they would have to muzzle him.  

If Trump shows up at the trial (which imo is highly unlikely, but I would pay good money to see that happen) no one will be able to muzzle him, he’s going to want to talk because he is one million percent sure that he is right. I sure would want to watch Trump run his mouth and dig a deeper and deeper hole for himself.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:
21 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Speaking of formal responses, President Trump delivered an interesting one to SAG-AFTRA...

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/SAG-AFTRAResignationLetterfromPresidentDonaldJTrump.pdf

Thats how my 10 years old will write when he been ousted from the neighbourhood marvel super heroes squad. 

And their response?

"Thank you."

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He is resigning after being kicked out, that is typical Trump logic.

I can imagine how he will talk about it: "I resigned because they were bad people, really bad people! I heard it has tremendous problems because It's infiltrated by leftists. And you know, the biased MSM.....People say...." ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

Speaking of formal responses, President Trump delivered an interesting one to SAG-AFTRA...

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/SAG-AFTRAResignationLetterfromPresidentDonaldJTrump.pdf

The last sentence of that letter - "you have done nothing for me" - just about says it all, that really sums up Trump: if you have served your purpose and you can no longer do anything for Trump, he has no use for you anymore and he will drop you like a hot potato without so much as a second thought or a thank you.

13 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I agree that the Dems had to impeach, even though they knew that it would be ineffective.  The take-home message here is that the Constitution is defective in this regard: presidential impeachment has never succeeded.  The reason is partisan politics which the Framers did not envision.

The DoJ should indeed prosecute Trump to the fullest extent possible, but we know that the Biden administration would rather not go down that path.  So, we just don't know at this point.  Merrick Garland knows, but he isn't talking.  I think the case of inciting insurrection is too difficult to prove in court, but there are a myriad of other charges that could be brought.

It seems that the FBI have Stone in their sights for his connections with the Proud Boys and their connection to planning the insurrection.  Now that Citizen Trump can't offer him any protection will he throw himself under the bus?   The problem there is that it's unlikely anything coming from Stone will happen before the trial.  I think you are right that it will be cases in the future that are going to trip him up, also that the dems really didn't have any choice but to impeach.  The majority of Americans want to see justice done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

The last sentence of that letter - "you have done nothing for me" - just about says it all, that really sums up Trump: if you have served your purpose and you can no longer do anything for Trump, he has no use for you anymore and he will drop you like a hot potato without so much as a second thought or a thank you.

I'm pretty sure VP Pence would agree with you.

• Haha 2