Trump faces Tuesday deadline to deliver formal response to impeachment as trial looms

webfact

And in his defence he never states why he should not be convicted. So no defence.

He foes say the election was rigged. It wasnt

He also says he cannot be convicted because he is out of office. That argument was already decided by congress who dismissed it and impeached him.

So that just leaves his defence which he will try to use freedom of speech. So he has no hope on that one.

I hope he gives evidence, that would be hilarious.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the Senate cannot conduct an impeach trial for a private citizen, which is what Trump is now.  The Senate should have scheduled the trial while Trump was still in office, but Moscow Mitch cannily ran the clock out.  

The reason that this is true is that impeachment is not like a criminal trial the purpose of which is to determine if the defendant broke the law and, if so, to decide that punishment to impose.  The purpose of of the impeachment process, including the Senate trial, is to determine whether to remove the president (or other official) in order to protect the Republic.  This is clear from the wording of the Impeachment Clause in the Constitution:

The Constitution, Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

The Clause makes clear that the purpose of impeachment is just the removal of the president, etc.  

Article I, Section 3, Clause 7 makes this even more clear that no other punishment beyond removal and disqualification can be imposed. 

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

So, impeachment is clearly neither a criminal nor a judicial procedure, but the president remains subject to criminal law, i.e. indictment, criminal trial, and punishment, if convicted.

I want to see Trump punished as much as anyone else, but there is nothing in the Constitution that provides the Senate jurisdiction to conduct and impeachment trial for a private citizen.  The two cases usually cited as precedents in this context, Blount and Belknap, are particularly poor precedents.  In my opinion the Democrats are making a mistake and should instead be conducting a criminal investigate of Trump in the DoJ instead.  But there is no one to stop them.  The Supreme Court has no appellate jurisdiction over a Senate impeachment trial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Chill27 said:

He called for a peaceful march. Here are his actual words that you will never see in the lying fake news media.

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard," Trump said in his speech.

Game over. He clearly called for his supporters to march "peacefully".

That bridge is still for sale !

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, cmarshall said:

In my opinion, the Senate cannot conduct an impeach trial for a private citizen, which is what Trump is now.  The Senate should have scheduled the trial while Trump was still in office, but Moscow Mitch cannily ran the clock out.  

The reason that this is true is that impeachment is not like a criminal trial the purpose of which is to determine if the defendant broke the law and, if so, to decide that punishment to impose.  The purpose of of the impeachment process, including the Senate trial, is to determine whether to remove the president (or other official) in order to protect the Republic.  This is clear from the wording of the Impeachment Clause in the Constitution:

The Constitution, Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

The Clause makes clear that the purpose of impeachment is just the removal of the president, etc.  

Article I, Section 3, Clause 7 makes this even more clear that no other punishment beyond removal and disqualification can be imposed. 

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

So, impeachment is clearly neither a criminal nor a judicial procedure, but the president remains subject to criminal law, i.e. indictment, criminal trial, and punishment, if convicted.

I want to see Trump punished as much as anyone else, but there is nothing in the Constitution that provides the Senate jurisdiction to conduct and impeachment trial for a private citizen.  The two cases usually cited as precedents in this context, Blount and Belknap, are particularly poor precedents.  In my opinion the Democrats are making a mistake and should instead be conducting a criminal investigate of Trump in the DoJ instead.  But there is no one to stop them.  The Supreme Court has no appellate jurisdiction over a Senate impeachment trial.

You are probably quite right. Trump will get off on yet another technicality but I disagree the Dems are making a mistake. Something had to be done and since he was POTUS at the time, impeachment was their best (an only) option. It also sends a clear message that this sort of behavious will not be tolerated.
Also, a criminal investigation may still happen. But I guess that will join the end of a VERY long queue of other crimanal prosecutions he is likely to face once out of the POTUS safety armour.

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

<snip>

It also sends a clear message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.

<snip>

On the contrary - it shows those MAGA sympathizers how to do it again cuz there are no consequences that stick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J Town said:

That's an assumption about the poster's heritage, and we all know about assumptions.

In the case of 45, a twice-impeached disgrace, it's perfectly acceptable, nay a good idea, to label him in infamy every given chance. Even better to ignore that loser-in-chief.

Yes. He's definitely a special case. I feel that he has so degraded the office of the presidency that any sort of respectful honorific granted to him is totally obscene. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong.

There is already a precedent of an impeachment and failed trial for conviction that happened after the accused was out of office. In this case, the first phase, the impeachment happened while the disgraced Mr. trump was still in office. That precedent has never been challenge meaning it stands!

The reason it failed is because so many "jurors" claimed the trial was unconstitutional- that the senate had no jurisdiction..

In the end, a majority of senators voted to convict Belknap, but that was short of the two-thirds necessary. Nearly two dozen senators who voted to acquit cited their belief that the Senate lacked jurisdiction. Just three said their vote was because of the evidence.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/29/961330810/there-is-precedent-for-trying-a-former-government-official-established-145-years

45 senators have said the same this time.  Remind me, how many do they need?

I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet, but here's Trumps actual response.

https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/static/2021/02/45th-Presidents-Answer-to-Article-of-Impeachment-Final.pdf

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

The reason it failed is because so many "jurors" claimed the trial was unconstitutional- that the senate had no jurisdiction..

In the end, a majority of senators voted to convict Belknap, but that was short of the two-thirds necessary. Nearly two dozen senators who voted to acquit cited their belief that the Senate lacked jurisdiction. Just three said their vote was because of the evidence.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/29/961330810/there-is-precedent-for-trying-a-former-government-official-established-145-years

45 senators have said the same this time.  Remind me, how many do they need?

You know. 

It doesn't mean they were right.

That impeachment happened and the trial happened.

If they had convicted the conviction would been legit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong.

There is already a precedent of an impeachment and failed trial for conviction that happened after the accused was out of office. In this case, the first phase, the impeachment happened while the disgraced Mr. trump was still in office. That precedent has never been challenge meaning it stands!

Actually, the two impeachment cases that are often cited as precedents are quite weak.  Senator William Blount was impeached in 1797 after the Senate had already expelled him.  The Senate trial acquitted Blount and the Senate subsequently passed the following resolution:

The court [The Senate] is of opinion that the matter alleged in the plea of the defendant is sufficient in law to show that this court ought not to hold jurisdiction of the said impeachment, and that the said impeachment is dismissed.

Belknap resigned as Secretary of War in 1876 to avoid impeachment, but was impeached anyway.  The Senate trial acquitted him, because twenty-three senators voted against conviction on the basis that the Senate lacked jurisdiction, since Belknap no longer held office.  

"Precedents" in the Senate do not have the same weight that they would have in common law.  Since there is no way that the decision of a Senate impeachment trial could be "challenged," because the Suprement Court lacks appellate jurisdiction over a Senate "trial."  Therefore, there is no implication from the lack of such a challenge.

There is a diversity of opinion on the issue among legal scholars, which I find baffling, since the text of the Constitution is reasonably clear.

Redress for the crimes of now private citizen Trump can appropriately be sought via the criminal justice system.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You know. 

It doesn't mean they were right.

Correct.  The fact that the Senate refused to convict Belknap, because they lacked jurisdiction is not necessarily "right," but it does mean that Belknap is not much of a precedent.