What Song Reminds You of Thailand?

Neeranam

When I came to Thailand in 1992, the songs that were playing all the time in the go gos were "One Night in Bangkok" and one about "Alice".

On the islands, Bob Marley was always playing but the one that was a hit at the time was the following and always reminds me of when I came here.

What about  you? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

When I came to Thailand in 1992, the songs that were playing all the time in the go gos were "One Night in Bangkok" and one about "Alice".

On the islands, Bob Marley was always playing but the one that was a hit at the time was the following and always reminds me of when I came here.

What about  you? 

Just this week, i clicked on a number of vids, referred to in news articles, e.g The Animals, this one and so on. There is no sound. I read up on problem solving. But no joy. Anyone advise me, in plain English, ? tia.

For me this song always makes me think of Thailand. I was stuck in England for two months sorting out some business when this came out. The lyric " everything you want is just a dream away " really made me miss my wife and home here.

25 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Just this week, i clicked on a number of vids, referred to in news articles, e.g The Animals, this one and so on. There is no sound. I read up on problem solving. But no joy. Anyone advise me, in plain English, ? tia.

Is the MUTE icon showing an x.

Hey handsome, handsome handsome, where you go go go. Don't go, stay here handsome, come here.

Me, yes me, I take good care of you my handsome. Please come here and let's go to the nearest ATM, my handsome, yeah yeah yeah...

Written by Willy Banilly 

• Haha 2

In the year 2000 a song called "Sim Salambim" was everywhere all the time.

It was by a girl from Holland I think, used to be on YouTube but not anymore.

"Zombie" which I rarely hear in the US I hear all the time in Thailand.

Madonna's song "What It Feels Like for a Girl" when I hear it I have a little flashback to Bangkok what ever year that was popular.

• Like 1

What often surprises me is how clueless---or maybe it's willing----to play songs whose lyrics (in English) are as prurient and foul as can be. Perhaps the words do not strike their ears the same way they do native English speakers.

I remember driving to Pattaya a few years ago, with one of the local stations on the radio, playing "Short (nickname for Richard) Man". Afterwards the DJ, speaking in Thai, said something I did not understand recounting (I assume) what was just played and who sang it, then with a perfect English accent said the name "Short (nickname for Richard) Man" in the same tone he would have used in commenting on "Hey, Jude" or the Titanic song. Nothing in the song was bleeped out, either, so every swear and every description was played over the airways for all to hear.

For those who don't know the tune, and if a YouTube link can be noted, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrexKS8kxA

I suppose another song that is done to death here by anyone who thinks they can sing or play an instrument.......heard everywhere in bars etc.......Hotel California ! God that song is like nails on a blackboard now, but is "Thailand" whenever I here it.

• Like 2