Will my Thai SIM work outside of Thailand

connda

You need to contact True, open international calling, then international roaming. They may be unwilling to do that if you just bought it recently and they have no credit history on you. But if SIM is prepaid, you can top-up first and then choose promotion you want (a package of calls/data in the country you wish to use it at). As you haven't mentioned whether your card is prepaid or postpaid and which country you plan to use it in, it's hard to give any more information.

In a gist though - you need to open international calls first. Once you're able to call internationally, then open the international roaming. This is required on both prepaid and postpaid. If post-paid there's a limit set on how much you can use abroad, before services stop. If pre-paid it depends on how much you top-up.

It is always good to get their package as it's way cheaper than using as you go calls/data.

https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_service/travelling_abroad?ln=en

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You need to contact True, open international calling, then international roaming. They may be unwilling to do that if you just bought it recently and they have no credit history on you. But if SIM is prepaid, you can top-up first and then choose promotion you want (a package of calls/data in the country you wish to use it at). As you haven't mentioned whether your card is prepaid or postpaid and which country you plan to use it in, it's hard to give any more information.

In a gist though - you need to open international calls first. Once you're able to call internationally, then open the international roaming. This is required on both prepaid and postpaid. If post-paid there's a limit set on how much you can use abroad, before services stop. If pre-paid it depends on how much you top-up.

It is always good to get their package as it's way cheaper than using as you go calls/data.

He can't just get True to turn roaming on? If I went abroad I would just want to receive texts, I wouldn't be making phone calls

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He can't just get True to turn roaming on? If I went abroad I would just want to receive texts, I wouldn't be making phone calls

They won't enable roaming if you don't have international calls enabled. I guess he could enable both at the same time. It doesn't mean he has to make phone calls, or send or receive texts. It just means that his number will be accepted by other carriers outside Thailand. Last time I had to do it in a hurry (with True) was when I changed phone number and remembered at the airport that I didn't turn it on. Called True while walking to boarding room and when I landed it was working. So it only takes minutes to enable. But - if post-paid, they will set a limit, which is based on credit history and length of time on contract. For prepaid it's simpler as it's only deducting from quota that is topped up.

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My AIS sim has never worked outside of Thailand, even after the purchase of a so called 'roaming package' for Europe.  Its hopeless. 

Never had a problem outside Thailand and never bought a package, had the same pay as you go AIS number for about 12 years.

You used to be able to access your AIS account through the website but they discontinued that and now you must use the phone app called 'My AIS', available from play store.

To access your account enter phone number and they send OTP.

I have always had on my account a Value Added Service? called 'Freedom Planet', and that is still the case. On the app however, unlike the website, I cannot see access to these services. I did notice however that if you go to 'Packages', right at the bottom of Roaming packages there is one called International Service and on my account that is switched ON. It is not something I have done and would suggest you check your account, switch on and see what happens. Good luck.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Never had a problem outside Thailand and never bought a package, had the same pay as you go AIS number for about 12 years.

You used to be able to access your AIS account through the website but they discontinued that and now you must use the phone app called 'My AIS', available from play store.

I have always had on my account a Value Added Service? called 'Freedom Planet', and that is still the case. On the app however, unlike the website, I cannot see access to these services. I did notice however that if you go to 'Packages', right at the bottom of Roaming packages there is one called International Service and on my account that is switched ON. It is not something I have done and would suggest you check your account, switch on and see what happens. Good luck.

No voice/sms packages I see and not obvious how to switch roaming on apart from calling them

Screenshot_2021-02-03-11-00-47-023_com.ais.mimo.eservice.jpg

I had AIS sim and had just bought a VIVO phone there  outside the BIG C hang dong...it would send my texts-sms to pay again-top off after I had come home to the states...

Also there was an app built into vivo OS that I could hook up to another cell company and run it thru them (ATT)....I never tried it but should have since i had unlimited

data for 200/month in LOS...not sure what the cost was to run my thai sim thru ATT..can find a phone shop that sells VIVOs and ask a rep about it..phone was 3000...nice

I did set up google voice in the states and allows me to make calls and send texts back home via wifi...free and handy indeed....but must be set up first in states i heard

When I am abroad I can still use my AIS SIM to, for instance, receive a onetime password (OTOP) from my Thai bank in order to make a credit card payment. You have to check with True if they have the same service. Note that for AIS I had to activate 'international use' (can't remember how this was done). Best to go to a True service station. Making calls when you are abroad on a non-native SIM card may occur horrific costs. Many countries have cheap SIM cards (like Lebara in Europe) which you can use without registering and which offer very low rates for international calls (i.e. 4-6 minutes for 1 Euro to Thai mobile number). Furthermore, when you top-up (even if it is only 5 Euros) they will double the amount.  

Edited by cormanr7
spelling error

12 hours ago, connda said:

I've got a SIM and telephone number for my smartphone through True.
I know I'm ignorant on this subject but will my phone still work outside of Thailand?

Pre-paid or post-paid?

You may be able to turn it on/off within the mobile app?

WiFI Calling is the way to go if traveling abroad. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo

On 2/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, scubascuba3 said:

No voice/sms packages I see and not obvious how to switch roaming on apart from calling them

Screenshot_2021-02-03-11-00-47-023_com.ais.mimo.eservice.jpg

Not sure what you are looking at, This what mine looks like.

Bottom line is International Service, which is just an ON/OFF button.

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My AIS sim has never worked outside of Thailand, even after the purchase of a so called 'roaming package' for Europe.  Its hopeless. 

That's strange because mine has worked for at least 20 years and, apart from North Korea and Cuba, in every country I have been to. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

That's strange because mine has worked for at least 20 years and, apart from North Korea and Cuba, in every country I have been to. 

Must be me and my knowledge of the phone . As i have no intention of leaving here for the foreseeable future, its really not an issue 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

You don't necessarily need the app. Just go online to myais.co.th and then same as above.

On that site under the heading Service, International Service, there are 2 tick boxes for International Roaming - active or Inactive.

May be useful to @Pilotman :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

only  if you have paid for ROAMING !!!

Meh.

With WiFi Calling (and a WiFi signal, and capable phone) you can make/receive calls and send/receive texts with "domestic" rates.

Yes, I'd enable International Roaming (but turn off mobile data with True, AIS or DTAC, done with a code). True is *113*1# -ON, *113*2# - OFF.

But maybe better to get a local SIM for calls and data there?

Some of the IR plans are actually pretty good. You can also buy a travel SIM. 

https://truemoveh.in.th/travelsim/

I guess these can be applied to an existing SIM, with the code. Did not know that.

It really depends on where you're going, for how long, what do you need to be able to do. With these details a decent recommendation can be made.

Edited by mtls2005

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Meh.

With WiFi Calling (and a WiFi signal, and capable phone) you can make/receive calls and send/receive texts with "domestic" rates.

Yes, I'd enable International Roaming (but turn off mobile data with True, AIS or DTAC, done with a code). True is *113*1# -ON, *113*2# - OFF.

But maybe better to get a local SIM for calls and data there?

Some of the IR plans are actually pretty good. You can also buy a travel SIM. 

https://truemoveh.in.th/travelsim/

I guess these can be applied to an existing SIM, with the code. Did not know that.

It really depends on where you're going, for how long, what do you need to be able to do. With these details a decent recommendation can be made.

I think the *113*1# is specifically for data/Internet; though with Truemove H, who knows?

18 hours ago, topt said:

You don't necessarily need the app. Just go online to myais.co.th and then same as above.

On that site under the heading Service, International Service, there are 2 tick boxes for International Roaming - active or Inactive.

May be useful to @Pilotman :biggrin:

The web address you posted cannot be reached. The one I used to use all the time is https://myais.ais.co.th/home

I have just logged in again, says the last time I logged in was 16th August 2019. Can still see my account but the lines on the service menu are marked inactive and cannot be clicked on, just the way it was when I stopped using it.

Would much rather use the website, fingers like cow's tits and make too many mistakes on the phone.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The web address you posted cannot be reached. The one I used to use all the time is https://myais.ais.co.th/home

I have just logged in again, says the last time I logged in was 16th August 2019. Can still see my account but the lines on the service menu are marked inactive and cannot be clicked on, just the way it was when I stopped using it.

Would much rather use the website, fingers like cow's tits and make too many mistakes on the phone.

Apologies did not use the full address. For others use /login instead of /home to go straight to login.

Not sure why yours is inactive as just tried mine again and no issues. 

Perhaps try a different browser? 

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

my app looks different to yours, maybe different sim or something. I have the latest app version 

Screenshot_2021-02-03-16-38-21-004_com.ais.mimo.eservice~2.jpg

You were right about the version, I had version 8.6.6 and when I went to Play Store it said there was an update. I updated and now the same as you posted, cannot see any sign of the 'International Service' button anymore. If you do not already have that on looks like you have to buy a package. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, topt said:

Apologies did not use the full address. For others use /login instead of /home to go straight to login.

Not sure why yours is inactive as just tried mine again and no issues. 

Perhaps try a different browser? 

I was in the account when I copied the address. Bit strange that it just suddenly stopped working about 18 months ago when they brought out the app. What I can see is correct and balance up to date. I use Chrome and maybe have a look at another but I don't use it enough to be too concerned.

May be useful for some as now I have updated my phone app the International Service button is no longer available.