WHO director-general says COVID-19 vaccine nationalism harmful for all

webfact

WHO director-general says COVID-19 vaccine nationalism harmful for all

2021-02-02T221024Z_1_LYNXMPEH111P5_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-WHO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a news conference organized by Geneva Association of United Nations Correspondents (ACANU) amid the COVID-19 outbreak, caused by the novel coronavirus, at the WHO headquarters in Geneva Switzerland July 3, 2020. Fabrice Coffrini/Pool via REUTERS

(Reuters) - COVID-19 vaccine nationalism is harmful for all, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Tuesday, and said weak cooperation between nations is a major barrier to achieving worldwide vaccination at the scale needed to end the coronavirus pandemic.

"Despite the growing number of vaccine options, current manufacturing capacity meets only a fraction of global need," the WHO director-general said in a piece published in Foreign Policy magazine.

"Allowing the majority of the world's population to go unvaccinated will not only perpetuate needless illness and deaths and the pain of ongoing lockdowns, but also spawn new virus mutations as COVID-19 continues to spread among unprotected populations," he wrote https://bit.ly/3oGW3Qd. 

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-03

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually one should read the article rather than the bit in the OP. What he is saying is 100% correct and morally correct.

For those who can't be bothered to read what he says but are more than willing to slag him off ...... he is saying open source it all, it should not be about control or profit.

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TSF said:

Yes but he's lost all credibility, nobody is even interested in reading anything from him now, nobody takes anything he says seriously. He should resign immediately. If not he should be removed immediately. I suspect the sole reason he's managed to hang on to his position is because he's African.

I was going to reply but realised I was just as bigoted against Trump so it would be quite hypocritical of me.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

"Allowing the majority of the world's population to go unvaccinated will not only perpetuate needless illness and deaths and the pain of ongoing lockdowns, but also spawn new virus mutations as COVID-19 continues to spread among unprotected populations,"

actually he is absolutely right! yet there are comments here calling names. morover i'm surprised no moderator rejects or delete this kind of comments! i remember being told by a moderator" here we don't speak like that!" because my answer to one comment i found inaprpriate was "why don't you shut up if you got nothing to say?"

• Haha 1