What happens next?

Surelynot

On 2/4/2021 at 6:45 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Amazing how many bike riders never turn there heads, or look into a side view mirror before cutting directly in front of you.  Complete disregard for others as well as their own safety.  They must truly believe the amulets and tattoos protect them.

See "Range of responsibility" in Traffic rules in Thailand and how to avoid traffic accidents

It happened to my wife. Motorbike broke here mirror.  We have dashboard cameras.  It recorded "bang" and then the bike sped by.  Could see his plate number.

Her insurance company said bikes never stop, but the guy who hit her was shocked when they collared him. ????

He paid rather than face hit and run charge.  So, get a dash cam!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, Surelynot said:

Sat, waiting at the red lights......the motorcycle taxis, Grab and Panda gangs swarm through the queues of cars like their lives depend on getting to the front .......one of them takes off your wing-mirror or gouges the side of the car..........

This hasn't happened to me, yet, but it only seems to be a matter of time......what might happen next?

Do they smile, say sorry and leave you with a huge bill......... jump off their bike and share insurance and contact details......pretend not to notice and ride on.......is there any point in clocking their number plate?

Anyone any experience of this?

Most likely gone when or before the light turns green.  Good luck getting any compensation.  And, if their bike was damaged they could look for compensation from you.  A picture of the number plate could help but don't spend the money before it's put in your hand.

• Thanks 1

My friend's car got hit by a scooter yesterday in Pattaya while waiting at red lights.

The Thai dude riding the scooter was <deleted> drunk (0830 AM), first hit friends car and bounced over in another car before crashing.

My friend got out of the car and prevented the drunk dude driving off, policeman controlling the intersection lights quickly came over and took the scooter keys and arrested the dude, a bottle of Thai whisky was found near the scooter.

Insurance man was called and all 3 persons involved ended down at the police station, car drivers driving in their cars, drunk dude transported in a police truck in handcuffs.

My friend signed some papers that his insurance man checked first. Thai lady in the other car had no driving license and classA.

My friends Class A will likely have to cover the damages to his car but insurance man will keep him updated.

Thai lady in small MG in trouble, she will get a fine and will have to pay out of own pocket to get the car fixed (one door quite badly damaged)

Drunk Thai dude very likely still sitting in holding cell here over the weekend and will see a judge next week, 555.

Always have a class A on your car here, this also cover bail-bond in worst case scenario   

I'm surprised at the apparent number of drivers here with no license. I remember teaching a class of 8 students, all adults with good office jobs. 3 of them had never had a license yet they drove to work every day. None of them thought it was a problem. None of them saw it as a potential problem.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:47 AM, jaiyenyen said:

I'm surprised at the apparent number of drivers here with no license. I remember teaching a class of 8 students, all adults with good office jobs. 3 of them had never had a license yet they drove to work every day. None of them thought it was a problem. None of them saw it as a potential problem.

No licence isn’t really ‘the’ problem or ‘a’ potential problem other than dealing with the police if stopped at a check point which happens extremely rarely and it costs 200 baht.

Even if involved in a fender-bender insurance still pays up.

The ease in which anyone can obtain a licence in Thailand makes a mockery out of the licence process such that holding a licence does not make anyone a better or safer driver on Thailands roads. Given the current requirements to obtain a licence, if everyone on Thailands roads held a licence we would not witness any difference in behaviour or an improvement to the damning fatality statistics.