Am I allowed to paint my garden fence?

WineOh

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Assuming you live there so it's your residence I'm afraid you are going to have to get the paint brush out ???? 

Of couse this is my opinion only, I've never actually seen anything in writing.

Do it at night, but if you get caught in the hours of darkness the penalty will double.????️

• Like 1

forget the fence.... i put in a MOAT with live crocodiles and a draw bridge!!!

I made the draw bridge only wide enough for my bicycle........had some close calls after a night of very, very, very, very heavy drinking.  i call that a Monday.  

so long as you only paint 'your' side of the fence? 

- like the outside of the front fence is the 'Councils' half therefore might be a problem,

unless you paint it Grey (as ???? it's a grey area) 

21 hours ago, WineOh said:

If the house is in my wifes name and I am doing work unpaid, then surely I am breaking the law?

surely?

If caught tell them your not being paid that your trying to barter for.....hmmm .

tell wifey you’ll have to paint at night with no lights so your not seen

working.. 

make sure to tell us how it goes.... hopefully she doesn’t bitch slap

you and make you paint ...555 joking ease up

we just built a new house, all in my wifes name, I did all the painting as that is my trade, doing work on your own house is not paid work, also there are no thai tradesman just brush hands so there is no one that could have done it the way we wanted it done, professionally finished and done as per my specifications using drop sheets, cutting in perfectly, no paint all over everything plus the preparation work I wanted done and all with the best brushes, rollers/sleeves as well as the correct grade of sand paper etc

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

go and ask 

1) the Toyota dealership Salesman

2) ask the fella that is taking pictures of you while you would be working, "Why are you taking pictures of me painting my fence?"

3) Local Bar mates. They are always good for an answer or two

4) Thailand Immigration Officer

I recall a young German man was cooking (unpaid)at his mother-in-laws chicken stall as she was unwell, he was charged with working without a WP and deported, happened about 18 months ago.

He was photographed and highly praised in the newspapers for being a "good guy", but out he went when immigration saw it.

Now look what i found .....seems even from TVF... ( old link seems already vanished after so manny TVF updates ..)

"If you are working in your or your partner's house then you will not need a work permit.
Both you and your wife, regardless of nationality, have the right to call a lawyer if required."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/192-ask-the-lawyer/

Bangkok: 10/1, 10th Floor. Piya Place Building, 29/1 Soi Langsuan, Ploenchit Road, Lumpini, Patumwan, Bangkok. 10330 
Hua Hin: 13/59 Soi Huahin 47/1, Petkasem Rd, Hua hin District, Prachuabkirikhan Province, 77110
Pattaya: 65/44 Moo 12 Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150
Tel: Bangkok  02 2549590
Tel: Hua Hin   032 531508
Tel: Pattaya    038 906 547 or Mobile 09 12393495
http://www.siamfirm.co.th/
Would you like to "Ask the Lawyer" another question? Please click here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/192-ask-the-lawyer/

To Contact Somsak directly, Please click here (http://marketing.thaivisa.com/contact-us/ask-the-lawyer/) 

Edited by david555

I was told that you could perform household chores but you could not do any work even unpaid if it took a job potentially away from a Thai person.  Though it seems reasonable that you can do chores around your home.  If you strictly followed that you could not do anything that  potentially took a job away from a Thai you could not even clean your toilet, cook a meal, or wash your dishes.  

Show this picture to your wife and tell her you can't take a job away from a Thai.  I suspect the wall won't need to be repainted. 

Image result for Chinese woman painting a wall

On 2/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, ramrod711 said:

I refuse to paint, I do plumbing, minor electrical, carry bags of soil and repair appliances, but I draw the line at painting

There's a clue, tell your missus your not allowed to do it because of the labour laws and hire someone for a day/couple of days.

You win. 

this same thread comes up every few months. OP evidently hasnt been in thailand long. 

you can do what you want as long as your not getting paid a salary. 

Long time ago I was worried like you as we are on a busy road and I wanted to paint the outside of our building. I asked at immigration. he actually laughed at me. he definately thought I was an idiot for asking

Hi friends.

It all depends if someone wants grass you up, as a jealous Thai might want to.. your visa is always in jeopardy in that case.

.the law clearly states that you can't do anything work wise that a Thai can do for you. . . But it fails point out that you have to find a Thai that wants to work in the first instance.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 11:45 AM, jvs said:

Are you on retirement extension?If so,it says you are not allowed to work,show your wife that and you are off the hook!

You're welcome.

It's a poor excuse that won't hold water. The law refers to work in terms of a regular job with regular salary, with income tax etc. Take care of your house and maintaining ir, does not count.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, WineOh said:

Am I allowed, by law, to paint my garden fence?

Don't know what the law states, but wife told me as long as it's private property and one isn't being paid it's OK.

As I was assisting with digging drains on the public road after a big flood and there were loads of council officials hanging around "supervising", and wasn't arrested I'd say that as long as one hasn't "annoyed" the neighbours one is safe enough.

However, if one is worried about it, one can ask the wife to find a local to do the job at a reasonable rate and feel good that one is helping a local struggling to survive.

5 hours ago, bbabythai said:

this same thread comes up every few months. OP evidently hasnt been in thailand long. 

Long time ago I was worried like you as we are on a busy road and I wanted to paint the outside of our building. I asked at immigration. he actually laughed at me. he definately thought I was an idiot for asking

Not true, which is why they have a volunteer category at immigration.

While one can probably safely paint one's own fence, one may be at risk if jamming at a jazz pub, or playing cards with friends, as farangs have discovered to their cost.

3 hours ago, fakser said:

The law refers to work in terms of a regular job with regular salary, with income tax etc. Take care of your house and maintaining ir, does not count.

Salary or not, taxed or not plays no role when it comes to the prohibition of foreign labour. The law explicitly used to define "work" as

the use of physical strength or knowledge to engage in a profession or to perform work with or without an aim to obtain wages or any other benefits.

but an emergency decree changed it to

an engagement of any profession, with or without employer

It seems a bit safer now as painting your own house wouldn't be seen as engaging in a profession by most reasonable judges but it is not 100% guaranteed. Some foreign labour laws explicitly mention that it has to be on an ongoing, recurring basis to be defined work which would be much clearer.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, WineOh said:

can you point to any legal regs that says I can?

All i can find are the regs on paid and unpaid work.

If the house is in my wifes name and I am doing work unpaid, then surely I am breaking the law?

surely?

No, they can not point to any specific legal writing that says anything you can see as a clear answer. Everything here is very diffuse och over complicated.

Most of the times, people around you will not bother and you will get away with doing some work.

In reality, you are NOT allowed to paint your fence. That is because you as a foreigner are doing a work, that a Thai person could have been doing. That´s what the law says!

5 hours ago, fakser said:

It's a poor excuse that won't hold water. The law refers to work in terms of a regular job with regular salary, with income tax etc. Take care of your house and maintaining ir, does not count.

I was just trying to help a guy get away from doing chores,not to be taken seriously!

On 2/5/2021 at 4:46 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The real question is, why would you  want to? They'll be a local guy who will no doubt do the job for a reasonable price. Let him graft, while you nip off to the pub. That'd be my advice. 

I sleep a lot better after a hard day's work and a little boom boom. The pub won't be of any help Mate.

In Phuket it's a different ball game they are right on it, If I was in open view I would not be doing it and dont care what the law says, here in Phuket they make their own laws. 

They have had many farang there was a guy building his own boat on his own land I dont know the full story but that got stopped