Am I allowed to paint my garden fence?

WineOh

4 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

"Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.

1. Manual work 

there we have it!

If painting a fence isn't manual work then i dont know what is!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, WineOh said:

there we have it!

If painting a fence isn't manual work then i dont know what is!

You wouldn't be doing it as an occupation, that's what counts.  There you have it. 

But, well done on dragging this out as far as you can!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

"Note that work under the Foreign Employment Act is described very broadly, i.e. working by exercising one's physical energy or employing one's knowledge, whether or not for wages or other benefits. "

Prohibited occupations for foreigners in Thailand

"Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.

1. Manual work 
  2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision 
  3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works 
  4. Wood carving 
  5. Driving mechanically propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, exc-----"

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/translations/foreign-employment-working-of-aliens-act

But I have been seen working in the families rice field and only got thumbs up and waves

OCCUPATION | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

the job or type of job that a person has: full-time/main occupation She lists her main occupation as ' property developer '. current/previous occupation He returned to his previous occupation as a teacher. Please state your name, age, and occupation.

7 minutes ago, WineOh said:

you wanna come paint me fence fella?

seeing as tho you are so confident in the legality of it...

I believe under Thai law you could still be done as an accessary, my mate got busted for scrubbing his own chip pan.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I believe under Thai law you could still be done as an accessary, my mate got busted for scrubbing his own chip pan.

harsh that mate.

gonna have to be careful now when the mrs asks me to cook her something nice for valentines day.

Looks like it will be take away love! ???? 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Well, there is.

If someone can point to where it says I can do unpaid work legally then the brush will be out like a shot.

Thus far nobody has been able to tell me with any certainty that it is actually legal.

In your case unpaid is not voluntary.She makes you do it!!!lol.

I started building my own house 2 years ago, never had a problem with anyone, we had a visit from 2 government officers who just wanted to inspect the building work, then we had 2 local police officers came, ended up with lots of beer and a barbecue together, i think the whole village must have been around to look what I was building, i even did the electrical work myself and ended up doing rewires on other houses in the village, so just painting a fence shouldn't be a problem, next week we will start the extension on the back of the house, can't wait to see who comes around this time. 

Just now, Buri utd said:

, then we had 2 local police officers came, ended up with lots of beer and a barbecue together,

I think this is where you got off mate.

if you had turned them away (as I would have done) then they would have dobbed you in for sure! ???? 

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you're that worried, get yourself some night vision goggles, and go out and paint the fence at 2am! 

might get done for making too much noise then.

guess i'm just going to have to get the mrs to do it whilst I sit and watch with a cold beer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I think this is where you got off mate.

if you had turned them away (as I would have done) then they would have dobbed you in for sure! ???? 

Sometimes you have to be clever, i had one of the police officers brother working with me, lives about 10 minutes from me, enough said ????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

If the house is in her name, she does the f.....g painting!

yep,  once the house is in the woman's name,  they think they are the owner.

OH !   That's right,  they ARE the owner !       oops

And yes,  i know that some of you ( probably will post in response as usual) .... are thrilled to

have provided a residence for your loved ones ,  where you also reside in marital bliss. 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Absolutely you are.

It's one of the big myths among the expat community - dare to paint your garden fence and a SWAT team from the Labour  department will raid your home and lock you up for 'working' without a work permit!

Painting your fence, DIY, cutting the grass, washing  the  car or any other household chores, no problem at all.

The real question is, why would you  want to? They'll be a local guy who will no doubt do the job for a reasonable price. Let him graft, while you nip off to the pub. That'd be my advice. 

Kindly cite any law, regulation or official announcement regarding the matter? I've never seen any official source proclaiming something along the lines of what you said. It would be fantastic if there was something official that would ease peoples minds. On the other hand a friend of mine who owned a steak restaurant was fined by immigration becaused he dared to carry some box into his own restaurant where he had a legal work permit but only as a manager. Then there's this guy here who got into trouble for daring to clean his own boat in the marina.

To my knowledge something like cutting your own lawn or painting your house is tollerated in the general case but the law can be interpreted either way as the wording is very broad as to what is illegal. People around you that don't like you can press the matter or if immigration is looking for some cash collection like it happens in this area every now and then.

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Well, there is.

If someone can point to where it says I can do unpaid work legally then the brush will be out like a shot.

Thus far nobody has been able to tell me with any certainty that it is actually legal.

There is a part of family law that states "husband and wife will support each other to the best of their abilities". It covers such things as up keep of family home.

Happy painting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

I refuse to paint, I do plumbing, minor electrical, carry bags of soil and repair appliances, but I draw the line at painting

Have you seen a Thai paint? Asked my Thai wife to help once on our home. May as well have just sloshed a whole tin of paint over the  wall. Never again!

Your wife owns the house. If you paint it in return for wages or 'other benefits' (e.g. sex) then this is prohibited since a Thai person could easily do the job and receive the wages or 'other benefits' from the owner of the house.

If you do it for free (e.g. no 'other benefits' are involved) then it falls into a grey area. It might be considered 'volunteer work' be some (for which a permit is required), but such work normally provides a benefit to someone materially worse off then yourself.

It could be considered as part of the general marriage contract - an exchange of benefits between husband and wife to further a synergistic relationship. But you would need to prepare a contract of the benefits to be exchanged between man and wife to ensure the work you do (painting) cannot be construed as paid work (e.g. with benefits beyond that expected in a normal marriage).

I'm sure you can engage a reputable lawyer to draw up such a contract.

19 hours ago, WineOh said:

afternoon everyone.

Quick question regarding doing some DIY on my house.

Am I allowed, by law, to paint my garden fence?

the mrs has been pestering me for weeks to get it done but I told her I best check what the law says first.

The house is in my wifes name.

Cheers!

one advantage of the retirement extension/visa is that it is stamped no work allowed - 555