Am I allowed to paint my garden fence?

WineOh

1 minute ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Absolutely you are.

It's one of the big myths among the expat community - dare to paint your garden fence and a SWAT team from the Labour  department will raid your home and lock you up for 'working' without a work permit!

Painting your fence, DIY, cutting the grass, washing  the  car or any other household chores, no problem at all.

can you point to any legal regs that says I can?

All i can find are the regs on paid and unpaid work.

If the house is in my wifes name and I am doing work unpaid, then surely I am breaking the law?

surely?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CaptainCarrot said:

To the young man considering marriage:

Treat your new wife gently. Introduce her to wifely duties slowly; make sure she has grasped cooking, cleaning, ironing, dusting etc. Then in the second year introduce important new skills: bricklaying, roofing, tree felling, painting and decorating and so on. If she is of a delicate nature it may be desirable to delay the introduction of sewer cleaning, construction of access roads, mine development etc to the third year. 

Mrs.Trans has a problem even handing me a screwdriver when I am up a stepladder, mainly because her phone is permanently attached to one hand and the other is prodding it at an incredible speed. Combined, her grey cells get overloaded.....????

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, WineOh said:
27 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Absolutely you are.

It's one of the big myths among the expat community - dare to paint your garden fence and a SWAT team from the Labour  department will raid your home and lock you up for 'working' without a work permit!

Painting your fence, DIY, cutting the grass, washing  the  car or any other household chores, no problem at all.

Expand  

can you point to any legal regs that says I can?

Statutes do not usually specify what isn't an offence, they state what is an offence, so you won't find any laws that say that you are permitted to "work" in your own home. 

If it was illegal there would be a law describing the offence.

Just now, Matreusse said:

Statutes do not usually specify what isn't an offence, they state what is an offence, so you won't find any laws that say that you are permitted to "work" in your own home. 

If it was illegal there would be a law describing the offence.

unpaid work is illegal, right?

Volunteering etc..

Would be interesting to see what would happen if the police were driving down my soi and they caught me paintbrush in hand.

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

Volunteering etc..

Would be interesting to see what would happen if the police were driving down my soi and they caught me paintbrush in hand.

The very least is that you would be gunned down, not worth the risk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Volunteering etc..

Painting your own fence is not considered to be work (in the employment sense) that is non-permissible by Immigration. Neither do they consider it to be "voluntary work". 

If Immigration saw you, brush-in-hand, they would do nothing because there's be nothing for them to do.

The answers that you are getting are clearly not the answers that you wanted but there you go.

Edited by Matreusse

1 minute ago, WineOh said:
2 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

If Immigration saw you, brush-in-hand, they would do nothing because there's be nothing for them to do.

Don't really wanna take any chances tbh.

Not much point in asking about it in your OP, then, eh?    

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Not much point in asking about it in your OP, then, eh?    

Well, there is.

If someone can point to where it says I can do unpaid work legally then the brush will be out like a shot.

Thus far nobody has been able to tell me with any certainty that it is actually legal.

Edited by WineOh

4 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Well, there is.

If someone can point to where it says I can do unpaid work legally then the brush will be out like a shot.

Thus far nobody has been able to tell me with any certainty that it is legal.

A few people have told you, with absolute certainty, that painting your own fence is legal.  What you want to do is not illegal and laws/regs do not point out what is legal. 

What you want to do is not "unpaid work" in the sense that you seem to want it to be, it's painting your own fence, that's all, no different from sweeping your own floor or doing you own washing-up.

Edited by Matreusse

3 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

A few people have told you, with absolute certainty, that painting your own fence is legal.  What you want to do is not illegal and laws/regs do not point out what is legal. 

What you want to do is not "unpaid work" in the sense that you seem to want it to be, it's painting your own fence, that's all, no different from sweeping your own floor or doing you own washing-up.

I dunno.

sounds dodgy to me mate;.

"Note that work under the Foreign Employment Act is described very broadly, i.e. working by exercising one's physical energy or employing one's knowledge, whether or not for wages or other benefits. "

Prohibited occupations for foreigners in Thailand

"Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.

1. Manual work 
  2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision 
  3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works 
  4. Wood carving 
  5. Driving mechanically propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, exc-----"

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/translations/foreign-employment-working-of-aliens-act

But I have been seen working in the families rice field and only got thumbs up and waves