British Passport Renewal: Urgent - Can anybody recommend a Trustworthy Reliable Agency to deal with my application and visits on my behalf to VFS, Trendy Building, Bangkok

Although my British Passport does not expire until December, I will need a new British Passport by July 2021 when my Visa Extension is due.

My Health mainly breathing  means it is impossible for me to travel to Bangkok to renew my passport and I need the services of a reliable trustworthy agency that a member feels able to recommend, to assist me with all the processing.

I have been in contact with one Agency I found on the Web some time ago,  but for some reason after initial contact early January and a speedy reply, I am now ready to apply BUT the agency has not answered 2 emails sent in the last 10 days. There may be a perfectly valid and reasonable reason for this, so I will not mention name as that would be unfair. However, naturally it is not helping my confidence.

Consequently, I feel I need to find other recommended Agencies that members have and used successfully and trust to give me new options. With COVD-19 I feel I cannot delay much further, nor do I wish to be without a passport for any longer than reasonably necessary and unable to communicate with an Agency for advice/updates.

Obviously not knowing your location or circumstances, but you do realise that you don't need an "agency" for this, a good friend or associate can submit the application and collect the passport on your behalf.  The hardest part if you are out in the sticks may well be getting a good photo.

You would not be left without a passport. When applying for a new passport at Trendy you retain you existing passport as an active one until you collect your new passport when it arrives a Trendy from the UK.

You don't say where you live, but the whole process would involve two journeys, each lasting less than an an hour. The first to deliver the application and the second to collect the new passport. Everything else is completed via email, and, as Upnotover says, you can nominate a friend to complete those journeys. 

56 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

You don't say where you live, but the whole process would involve two journeys, each lasting less than an an hour.

The subsequent post to yours states that he lives in Khon Kaen, that is a 5/6 hour journey each way, each time.

A good trustable friend might be the answer, but I understood that it must be applied for in person, but can be collected by ANOther, maybe it's changed.

I must admit the last time I obtained a new passport (3 years ago) it was a lot harder then the previous time when it had to be applied for in Hong Kong.

4 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

but I understood that it must be applied for in person, but can be collected by ANOther, maybe it's changed.

The wording is slightly odd, says must be applied in person, what it really means is applied by a person, i.e. not by mail. From the website;

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Thanks for the responses. So far nobody has said they have actually used the 2 suggested (to date) Agencies or any others.

Tanoshi has suggested trying the Thai Visa Centre, Bangkok but when I went online I did not see any reference to British Passport Renewal services or prices.

As another Poster fishtank seemed to know, I am based in Khon Kaen. Even if I was fit and healthy the cost of doing the process myself would cost more than doing it via an Agency. 

I have decent photos taken by a professional. Took me about 2-3 weeks to find one where I could park close by because being 160 Kg and getting totally out of breath if I walk 30 or so meters makes it impossible to go out and about.  I had this problem when I was 42 and the solution was to lose weight (I know its my fault and in my own hands).

I have completed my Renewal Form, Debit form, have photos (no need for counter signatory as although younger looking in my current passport it is obvious my new passport photos are me ????.  I had intended to have sent the documents to the Agency I trying to regain contact with but first needed a few questions clarified so I can avoid making the mistake of not sending all that the Agency needs that is acceptable in one go.

It is possible the Agency I have contacted has seen this post and if so I'd greatly appreciate a response to my emails if received (they were reported as received when I sent them - but who know with technology).

Maybe members here know the answers to two questions I have.,

1) I believe I need proof of my Thai address (which is on the Renewal Application Form) BUT this is not straight forward as most Thai post  received is in Thai and in my wife's name for convenience as i do not speak a word of Thai (well maybe a couple or so words ????)

I have received my Vehicle renewal documents from MSIG Insurance, Thailand only two weeks ago and am wondering if the received Receipt/tax invoice with my full address would be satisfactory. I also have a UK State Pension Proof of Life letter with my Thai address. That was dated Aug 2020. I received another Proof of Life request Letter from my main pension provider in UK dated mid Nov (received Mid Jan 2021)  Would any or these that be new enough and satisfactory.  I cannot use UK Bank statements or letters because statements are online only AND the Bank I use insisted on a UK address (I use my sister's) because of its  security precautions for Thailand. Of course I have P60's but they are 10 months old. Does anybody know if any of these or a combination would meet "Proof of Address" requirements.

2) Am I correct in assuming VFS & UK Passport Office only need my original current passport and NOT my Thai TM30 and Thai Departure Card (TM 6) which is always pinned to my Passport

Once again my thanks to those who have replied so far.

5 hours ago, gdhm said:

2) Am I correct in assuming VFS & UK Passport Office only need my original current passport and NOT my Thai TM30 and Thai Departure Card (TM 6) which is always pinned to my Passport

They will give your passport back to you after you apply for a new passport. You will need color copies of it that are sent to the UK instead of your passport.

Key visa is the only agent I have heard of lately that can the application for you.

13 hours ago, gdhm said:

Although my British Passport does not expire until December, I will need a new British Passport by July 2021 when my Visa Extension is due.

My Health mainly breathing  means it is impossible for me to travel to Bangkok to renew my passport and I need the services of a reliable trustworthy agency that a member feels able to recommend, to assist me with all the processing.

I have been in contact with one Agency I found on the Web some time ago,  but for some reason after initial contact early January and a speedy reply, I am now ready to apply BUT the agency has not answered 2 emails sent in the last 10 days. There may be a perfectly valid and reasonable reason for this, so I will not mention name as that would be unfair. However, naturally it is not helping my confidence.

Consequently, I feel I need to find other recommended Agencies that members have and used successfully and trust to give me new options. With COVD-19 I feel I cannot delay much further, nor do I wish to be without a passport for any longer than reasonably necessary and unable to communicate with an Agency for advice/updates.

Sent you a PM.

7 hours ago, gdhm said:

Tanoshi has suggested trying the Thai Visa Centre, Bangkok but when I went online I did not see any reference to British Passport Renewal services or prices.

Apologies. I actually meant Thai Visa Express, which @theoldgit has just posted.

I used them for a different reason, but can recommend.

12 hours ago, beet man said:

Key Visa Pattaya can do it for you for 5000bt. It takes about 8 weeks to come back to Thailand. And hey send it to you ems.

Key Visa, Pattaya did my son's UK passport without problems. We live in Phuket and everything was done through EMS. Not a fast process, but efficient and I would use them again.

OP, I am currently using Key Visa for a UK passport renewal. I am in Pattaya so just delivered the docs to their office. This was about 3/4 weeks back and I subsequently received an email from VFS, on 14th Jan, that they had sent my application to HMPO. at same time I also received confirmation from my UK credit card that the fee had been deducted from my account.

I used the UK state pension proof of life letter, dated around September 2020 for the address proof. That seems to have been accepted without any problem.

As others have said, KV charge 5k for the service and they also do the colour copies as part of the service. 

I have used them in the past for other services, Embassy pension letter for one, and had no complaints.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Khon Kaen has a airport. Flights are not all that expensive.

True but apart from the fact that I am scared of air flights (have been all my life ) you need to add on travel in Bangkok plus possible 1 night hotel/ guest house  stay each trip (not to mention all the time taken) and costs are comfortably more than for example Key Visa charges.

Anyway its academic because I have said in both my posts I am not in good health. Not to mention the risk of travelling to a COVID-19 outbreak area.

14 hours ago, fishtank said:

The op is in Khon Kaen and yes it is a pain in the nuts applying for a new British Passport as the Embassy has let us down big time.

Don't think that you can blame the Embassy here. It's those grossly incompetent clowns at HMPO back in the UK who are solely responsible for inflicting all the cumbersome bureaucracy on us Brits at passport renewal time.

13 minutes ago, gdhm said:

True but apart from the fact that I am scared of air flights (have been all my life ) you need to add on travel in Bangkok plus possible 1 night hotel/ guest house  stay each trip (not to mention all the time taken) and costs are comfortably more than for example Key Visa charges.

My reply to a post stating it was a 5 or 6 hour trip to Bangkok from Khon Kaen.

I have made many day trips by air to Bangkok to get thing done at my embassy. No need to stay overnight. There is nothing I can do at it using an agent and passports are applied for by mail to the embassy now.

9 hours ago, gdhm said:

I also have a UK State Pension Proof of Life letter with my Thai address. That was dated Aug 2020.

This will definitely suffice in complying with HMPO's utterly pointless "proof of address" requirement. Since they don't mail your new passport directly to the address of which they require you to provide suitable evidence, I can only surmise that this is a case of pure bureaucracy for pure bureaucracy's sake.

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Don't think that you can blame the Embassy here. It's those grossly incompetent clowns at HMPO back in the UK who are solely responsible for inflicting all the cumbersome bureaucracy on us Brits at passport renewal time.

Sure this delay isn't caused by International mail delivery.

Last year Thai Post refused to handle any International mail for a period due to Covid.

Bags of mail bound for Thailand were stuck at departing airports for weeks.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

Sure this delay isn't caused by International mail delivery.

Last year Thai Post refused to handle any International mail for a period due to Covid.

Bags of mail bound for Thailand were stuck at departing airports for weeks.

I believe VFS/HMPO use DHL for their UK passport renewal service. That is included as part of the fee paid to HMPO.

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

This will definitely suffice in complying with HMPO's utterly pointless "proof of address" requirement. Since they don't mail your new passport directly to the address of which they require you to provide suitable evidence, I can only surmise that this is a case of pure bureaucracy for pure bureaucracy's sake.

You assume wrong.It is simply a method, along with other checks, of ensuring the new passport is issued to the right person.

7 minutes ago, dabhand said:

I believe VFS/HMPO use DHL for their UK passport renewal service. That is included as part of the fee paid to HMPO.

If that is so, you may want to explain how a new Passport application submitted in December,  his new Passport is still stuck in a bag in the UK waiting delivery.

Passport expires and new one hasn't arrived yet ...how does it affect my non-O? - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

My reply to a post stating it was a 5 or 6

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You assume wrong.It is simply a method, along with other checks, of ensuring the new passport is issued to the right person.

hour trip to Bangkok from Khon Kaen.

I have made many day trips by air to Bangkok to get thing done at my embassy. No need to stay overnight. There is nothing I can do at it using an agent and passports are applied for by mail to the embassy now.

Seems crazy to me that having proved Thai address that the British Passport office in UK cannot DHL (or whoever) direct to the proven address, rather than making citizens call back to Bangkok to collect.  Especially as Agents or personal representatives are allowed to be used I fail to see how proof of address ensures passport reaches passport holder as that is down to the Agent or personal representative. Not only that but Agencies and most personal representatives themselves will have to post the passport once collected. So current system seems to me more likely for passport delays/losses in post..

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If that is so, you may want to explain how a new Passport application submitted in December,  his new Passport is still stuck in a bag in the UK waiting delivery.

Passport expires and new one hasn't arrived yet ...how does it affect my non-O? - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa

Strikes me that the OP of that particular thread may be a victim of bungling HMPO and/or DHL ineptitude and incompetence, which will no doubt be conveniently blamed on COVID-19.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Is that example for a UK passport renewal? Not indicated by that poster. Mention of 'Foreign Ministry' and 'lack of funds' makes no sense for a UK passport renewal.

Other posters have reported, in the last few days, receipt of new UK passports here in Thailand........

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

But when you collect your replacement passport you are required to produce your existing passport for cancellation. Surely that alone should be sufficient in ensuring that the new passport is issued to the correct person without the need for a raft of additional potentially burdensome checking mechanisms on HMPO's part? A simple comparison of the photopages on the old and new passports by VFS would be all that was needed, I would have thought!

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That poster is not from the UK.

Is that explanation sufficient for you?:biggrin:

Archived