Rally at Thai Consulate in LA on Sunday to call for an end to racial violence

rooster59

Rally at Thai Consulate in LA on Sunday to call for an end to racial violence

D5688742-C126-4532-8591-74FEFABDC753.jpeg

Both Thai and those of other nationalities, including Americans, plan to gather in front of the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles this Sunday, local time, to call for an end to what they claim is racial violence, especially against Asian and Polynesian Americans, and to mourn the death of an 84-year old Thai man who was fatally injured in California.

The elderly Thai man, Mr. Vicha Rattanapakdi, was taking an exercise walk on Anza Vista Road in San Francisco when a 19-year old attacked him in what was believed to be an act of racial violence against Asians.  The victim was rushed to a hospital but eventually died on January 30th. The assailant was later arrested by San Francisco police and has now been charged with murder.

The victim’s family and the broader Thai community in the US believe, however, that this was a hate crime, fueled by racial discrimination against Asian Americans. Donations poured in to raise funds for the funeral of the victim.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rally-at-thai-consulate-in-la-on-sunday-to-call-for-an-end-to-racial-violence/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-02-07

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, tonray said:

They have the same guy on camera pushing down two more people after the Thai gent too. Sickening

Interesting. Were they Asian and what were the circumstances? They're pretty important points given the claims of racial, as opposed to random, violence. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nausea said:

Interesting. Were they Asian and what were the circumstances? They're pretty important points given the claims of racial, as opposed to random, violence. 

I'm not sure the article mentioned their race..but I am sure the defense team would pick up on it if they were not (random thugness vs racial motivation). Kind of sad that there is any difference

• Like 1

In the 90's I hung around a crowd that were doing things we shouldn't. (Yeah, I did some, too). Most men were black. The women were 50% white, 25% Hispanic, 25% black (no Asian that I remember). Those people were some of the most racist people I've ever met. 

Demonstrate all you want, they are not going to change.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gumballl said:

What does this have to do with the Thai Consulate in LA?

It was a rally of support, not a protest. However, it might have made a bigger impact had they assemble on Hollywood Blvd, around Normandy. 

I'd like to know more about this and the supposed other two people who were attacked. I also want to note that the guy was arrested along with someone who had a strangely Asian-looking name. I don't know if that person was actually Asian or not. Was that the person who filmed this? That's another person who we need to know.

"Also arrested was 20-year-old Maylasia Goo, who was charged with being an accessory after the fact." - from the DailyMail.

Personally, I don't doubt the attacker had some racist attitudes but most of these street thugs are just out for any weak victim or person who gives them any look. They are angry at the world more than any race or person. But in an area like San Francisco with many Asians, the attacker could just be going after Asians thinking them and easy target. I don't see this as a sign of some massive rise in racism towards Asians but more like one serial bully who targeted Asians who is now going to jail for murder.

With that said...

I checked out the tag #JusticeForVicha that was in the picture and found a clip posted on Twitter about this.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/JusticeForVicha

A couple posters had some real anger at racism towards Asians/what they see as going on.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1357620390277730304

https://twitter.com/nguyen_amanda/status/1358083831237083138

There's another tag as well #AsiansAreHuman

https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiansAreHuman

On 2/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, TooBigToFit said:

I'd like to know more about this and the supposed other two people who were attacked. I also want to note that the guy was arrested along with someone who had a strangely Asian-looking name. I don't know if that person was actually Asian or not. Was that the person who filmed this? That's another person who we need to know.

"Also arrested was 20-year-old Maylasia Goo, who was charged with being an accessory after the fact." - from the DailyMail.

So the suspect is maybe banging an Asian girl.

How would this differ with Farangs choosing to live in Asia, harbor racist views about Thais and other Asians, but then go have sex with Asians?

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, TooBigToFit said:

Personally, I don't doubt the attacker had some racist attitudes but most of these street thugs are just out for any weak victim or person who gives them any look. They are angry at the world more than any race or person. But in an area like San Francisco with many Asians, the attacker could just be going after Asians thinking them and easy target. I don't see this as a sign of some massive rise in racism towards Asians but more like one serial bully who targeted Asians who is now going to jail for murder.

With that said...

I checked out the tag #JusticeForVicha that was in the picture and found a clip posted on Twitter about this.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/JusticeForVicha

A couple posters had some real anger at racism towards Asians/what they see as going on.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1357620390277730304

https://twitter.com/nguyen_amanda/status/1358083831237083138

There's another tag as well #AsiansAreHuman

https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiansAreHuman

You could very well be correct. Not excusing this disgusting violence against an elderly man. At the same time, Asian in western countries have learned to exploit race whenever possible to advance their cause. We all know how many racially motivated deaths occur in places like Thailand against Farangs, for example, but Thailand does not have a culture and news media that amplifies the race message at every opportunity. You'd likely find that even Thais living in the US have no clue how much racial violence occurs in Thailand.

This is the power of biased, propagandist 'progressive' media in western countries.

• Sad 1

Fellow Farangs should be aware of stories like this as it is not entirely unlikely that such stories will brew in Thailand putting foreigners at risk of retaliatory violence.

Even though this piece of trash appears to be black, there have been many similar stories in western countries involving whites and even Indians.

Stay alert

On 2/7/2021 at 8:56 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

That explains why the perpetrator's race is not mentioned in the article. 

As is the case in my hometown newspaper -- the Washington Post. Most crime in the DC area is committed by blacks. Only if committed by a white would that fact be newsworthy. To leave out race in a news report is, well, misleading -- but understanding, since too many cases of black crime dilute the Black Lives Matter argument.

Sadly, Asians are seen in the black communities as usurpers, just as the Jews have been for such a long time.

Now, on the other hand, white supremacists see Asians as the source of covid -- another crazy reason to attack Asians. Just park that with the crazy "the election was stolen" mantra from the Trump crowd. Any reality?

NO! But there is reality in saying Asians have succeeded in America in leaps and bounds ahead of blacks. Says nothing about Asians pushing blacks aside -- it just says they've studied harder, worked harder, and assimilated harder than blacks

So, tho' it's no less fearful on an Asian being attacked for covid or superior abilities, an attack by a white supremacist is just nuts -- but by a black for harboring "disrespect" for the Asian's superior assimilation into US success -- says an awful lot about the plight of African Americans in today's multi-culture America. And a lot about why Asians should be careful when walking in SE Washington DC, Chicago, St Louis -- and now, I guess, San Francisco.Sad what success now gets you in America.....

• Like 1