Foreigner on superbike and Thai woman seriously hurt in Samrong after song thaew smash

webfact

Who in their right mind wears shorts on a Busa? So utterly foolish. It's unfortunate they are hurt, but <deleted>, a helmet, jacket and kevlar jeans and he might have walked away. Given he was able to talk to police so soon after, looks like basic gear would have had a massive positive impact effect.

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

So, lucky then he was wearing full protective gear – flip flops, shorts etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

Just another day with the big bikes. Plenty of Thais and foreigners go down and some don't come up. Thailand is a dangerous land for driving.

nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the songtaew

turning from middle lane crossing the bikers lane while he in oblivion swirled into a soi.

all in all it just isnt worth driving on the roads lest i have an errand

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

So true ! Assume they are all trying to kill you and you'll usually fair much better.

On the very, very infrequent occasions that I drive at night, I assume all the other drivers are drunk. During daylight I assume all other motorists are on the phone. It's worked well so far after 15 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

So true ! Assume they are all trying to kill you and you'll usually fair much better.

Yes, spot on, you won't last long , unless you start thinking .they are all trying to kill you.. I do agree with  another poster in here ,about the left lane being dangerous , as i was knock off a scooter right over in the left lane, by someone , who came from a inside lane , at the last minute,  who almost miss the off road ramp and in his quick decision not to miss this off road ramp , knock me off the scooter at about 70 klm's a hour .                                                               

had more bark off me than this man on the big bike, I see in pic laying on the road in this post , his legs don't seem to have a scratch on them, he certainly was not doing a 100 kl's a hour . I had skin off my legs ,arms and when my head hit the road , it wore the complete side of the helmet right down to my eye brow ,which I had to have about 10 stitch's in my eye brow, the person who hit me did not stop, leaving me laying unconscious on the road ,coming conscious the next morning in ICU and at the age of 73 it was not a real good.   Regards ,,,,Popa

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes I completely agree with you. Riding in  the left lane is bad enough, but overtaking in it is fraught with danger.

We discussed this at length just a few days ago.

I never ride inside the solid white line, because to me this simply is not a lane. I usually sit in the first proper lane when there is no traffic or when I am simply following traffic, I use the outside lane for overtaking when required. I have never had an issue with the police when doing this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just to add, once again, this demonstrates it not about your ability etc, its ALL about the actions of others (mostly) when it comes to accidents here. 

My first 5 years in Bangkok were spent on a motorcycle.  I used to advise people that if you can't drive home at night with your lights off, you are not ready for a motorcycle in Bangkok.  No one sees you, and the ones who do don't care.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Big bikes stop better, are more stable,

Pity that it didn't stop better in this case then. Might have saved him having an accident. 

IMO this guy forgot the golden rule here. Always expect the unexpected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

They say 75% of fatal road accidents occur within 5 miles of home.......you had best move.

Thanks for injecting some humour. You are right that a high proportion of accidents happen near home.

I am not trying to eliminate risk entirely, life would be dull if I did. Just to manage excess/unnecessary risks, if I can.

In the past, I was doing trips around Bangkok and also Thailand by bike. At some certain point, that stopped feeling like a good idea and I am happy now ridng round my fairly safe local sois with cars/motorbikes running at lower speeds rather than venturing out onto the main Bangkok roads, which comes with higher speeds, and my main concern, buses & trucks. One lapse in concentration from those and you are toast, however good you are riding.

Edited by realfunster
Typo

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Disagree, a good rider sees that this could happen and takes that into account.

I love how hindsight turns into 20:20 perfection when combined with a keyboard !!!...:clap2:

Not everything can be predicted. 

Next we’ll have people saying if a motorcyclists is knocked off in the outside (right most) lane by a car cutting across him a good motorcyclist could predict this and take ’the possibility’ into account. 

Thats like suggesting ‘very good motorcyclists’ take into account that anything could happen and thus avoid accidents by not riding at all !!!... :whistling:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Absolutely, that is why you need some protective gear and not a couple of flip flops, shirt and shorts.

Lack of any protective gear while riding an absurdly large bike in BKK strongly suggests poor judgment in the first place. Yeah, he might well have been speeding. But anyway he must have known he was going to overtake the songtaew to his right--quickly, perhaps. That should have told him to exercise due caution in the kind of environment we're in. Erratic driving from songtaews goes with the territory, as I can tell from you from years of dodging them in Pattaya.

Obviously the songtaew was at fault, but I think the biker might have avoided this collision.

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

16 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

For some reason Thais HATE indicating and many accidents are because of this. Many times I nearly get an accident because they REFUSE to indicate and just turn.

I think one of the reasons Thais hate indicating is because other drivers see that as an opportunity to block you off.

I get it all the time in the car, there is a gap in the next lane over, so you indicate to move over and as soon as the car in the lane you are pulling into sees you indicate they use that as a signal to speed up to block the gap off. ????

I'm not saying that happened in this case, but just one explanation of why people get into the habit of not indicating. 

It's one of about 1000 irritating driving habits that Thais have, up there with blocking busy junctions by creeping though the lights 5 seconds after they turned red, driving 50cms from your rear bumper while flashing their lights even though you're doing 120 etc.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Just to add, once again, this demonstrates it not about your ability etc, its ALL about the actions of others (mostly) when it comes to accidents here. 

I disagree. Contrary to popular opinion I think it is almost all down to the choices, experience and know how of the individual rider. Not expecting someone to cut across you when driving fast on the left (as they drive in Thailand) is a sure sign of inexperience. Yes, other drivers do bad things to bikers but the rider needs to expect that and ride accordingly. Your post tends to apportion blame to others but the rider should look within. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrydives said:

I never ride inside the solid white line, because to me this simply is not a lane. I usually sit in the first proper lane when there is no traffic or when I am simply following traffic, I use the outside lane for overtaking when required. I have never had an issue with the police when doing this.

I could give a long list of reasons why I believe it to be dangerous to ride on the hard shoulder but most astute riders should be able to work it out for themselves.

I've been riding here for 7 years now and, like you I ride in the middle of the left hand lane and endeavor to keep pace with the general flow of the traffic around me. This, by the way is a practice taught to and recommended by UK police motorcyclists who call it 'claiming your space' or 'own your lane'. And I always overtake on the right. This practice maximizes your range of maneuverability, should you need it. And in Thailand you inevitably will do!

• Like 1

Normal day here, guy riding a rocket with too much machismo/horsepower chooses NOT to slow down, and takes out innocent because he feels the need for power.  Thx MR. Loser for messing up peoples lives.  Yet, another normal MVA day in LOS...

3 hours ago, scammed said:

nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the songtaew

turning from middle lane crossing the bikers lane while he in oblivion swirled into a soi.

all in all it just isnt worth driving on the roads lest i have an errand

Were those vehicles parked in the left lane part of the rescue crew or were they parked vehicles and the bike tried to go up the inside of the song thew before he hit them.

9 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

On the very, very infrequent occasions that I drive at night, I assume all the other drivers are drunk. During daylight I assume all other motorists are on the phone. It's worked well so far after 15 years.

in most cases, its that the other motorist just didnt see you,

that is the reason behind most bike accidents in europe

and theres no reason it wouldnt be true in thailand,

well, except the lack of understanding of right of way

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So the songteow driver saw him well enough to estimate his speed in Kph, and still cut across his lane in front of him? ???? 

:coffee1:

We all know that if the foreigner were not in Thailand, the accident could not have happened, so it is always the fault of the foreigner

Big bikers who exceed the speed limit should be banned from driving. I have seen quite a lot at traffic light junctions who run at top speed when the green lights turn on.

Luckily , the Thai girl was not on another small motorcycle or else she would have been killed by the impact of the big bike.