Advise for protecting your rental deposit

On 2/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, bear9 said:

Is there any protection from the banks when you do a bank transfer?

What kind of protection do you expect ?!!! You will have a "record" of your payment to landlord only (as proof). The fund is not reversible (and even in case of fraud reporting to police will be 1st). Bank will not take any action for your deposit to a landlord. 

On 2/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, Salerno said:

Got any links or are they walkins?

Check a friend of mine is a realtor in Pattaya they have discounted many Modern  Condo Building  in Pattaya and Bkk by 60% a month and many longterm  residence have switched over to new contracts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arick said:

Check a friend of mine is a realtor in Pattaya they have discounted many Modern  Condo Building  in Pattaya and Bkk by 60% a month and many longterm  residence have switched over to new contracts. 

Been keeping an eye on things for the past month or two (online) and prices certainly seem to be dropping but yet to see a drop from 25K to 6K which is why I was wondering if prices available on the ground are that different. Not nice for the landlords but looking good for renters for the foreseeable future.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:05 AM, Airalee said:

As I also mentioned in my post, let the landlord know well in advance that you will return the condo in immaculate condition and that you expect to get your deposit back upon inspection.   You could have also questioned the landlord as to his propensity to return deposits when tenants move out.  Yes...I know that this is backing him/her into a corner, but at least you can let him know in a round about manner that you aren’t someone to be screwed around with.  If you don’t feel comfortable with his/her answer...find a different condo/landlord.

Makes no difference! If the landlord is going to cheat you, they are going to cheat you no matter what you do. 

Just because you got lucky 1-2 times doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. 

Before I bought a place in Thailand I rented 3-4 places. I gave plenty of notice that I wouldn't renew the contract (3-4 months), the places were always clean but I still had an issue one time. Landlord made all types of excuses. Sent his brother to meet me on move out day.  The brother didn't have the deposit. I refused to give the keys. I went back the next day the door's lock had been changed and landlord would never answer his phone after that. However this was back around 2004, laws have changed on rentals a few years ago, but I'm sure like other laws it will be hard to get the authorities to take any real action.

OP All you can do is hope you get it back, if you dont you can file a complaint but dont expect anything to happen.

I do hope you get your deposit back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

Makes no difference! If the landlord is going to cheat you, they are going to cheat you no matter what you do. 

Just because you got lucky 1-2 times doesn't mean it's like that for everyone. 

Before I bought a place in Thailand I rented 3-4 places. I gave plenty of notice that I wouldn't renew the contract (3-4 months), the places were always clean but I still had an issue one time. Landlord made all types of excuses. Sent his brother to meet me on move out day.  The brother didn't have the deposit. I refused to give the keys. I went back the next day the door's lock had been changed and landlord would never answer his phone after that. However this was back around 2004, laws have changed on rentals a few years ago, but I'm sure like other laws it will be hard to get the authorities to take any real action.

OP All you can do is hope you get it back, if you dont you can file a complaint but dont expect anything to happen.

I do hope you get your deposit back!

So how much did you lose?

On 2/12/2021 at 4:52 AM, AlexRich said:

I think the best approach psychologically is to accept that you won’t get it back, however well you look after the place, but live there for a few years, so that the deposit theft is a very small sum when calculated on a monthly basis. I’m guessing that due to Covid you are getting a good deal?

When you eventually leave anything you get back is a bonus. It’s not just a Thailand issue, it seems to happen everywhere. So enjoy Thailand, and don’t sweat over a rent deposit. 

Just the best advice....succinct and not that hard to swallow.................