Jump to content

Advise for protecting your rental deposit


Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Im currentely in the process of paying the deposit for the condo i will rent soon.

 

I have heard stories where people have found it difficult to get the deposit back from the landlord after they check out.

 

So i will take pictures of the condo on day 1 when i am doing the move in process so i have proof of the condition of the condo when i move in.

 

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?  I hope it does not come to that and everything works out well but feel it would be best to plan ahead to do everything i can.

 

Thanks for advise in advance

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Time and date stamp the photos. A walk-round video is good aswell.

 

However, the fact remains that if the lessor does not return your deposit then your only lawful option is to pay to take them to Court.

 

There are a lot of very good landlords out there, but as always the few spoil it for the many.

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, bear9 said:

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?  I hope it does not come to that and everything works out well but feel it would be best to plan ahead to do everything i can.

 

step 1 - purchase box of beer or bottle of strong stuff

step 2 - down said liquid goodness 

step 3 - come to the realization that you just made an unwilling donation 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea thanks good advise although they have asked me for a 2 month deposit.  Something i did think about is the possibility of paying it via a debit/credit card then that way i would be protected by my bank under section 75. But the landlord has asked for bank transfer as payment so im not sure but feel you may be less protected with your bank if the payment is with bank transfer. Is there any protection from the banks when you do a bank transfer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want your deposit back...don’t mess the place up.  
 

Don’t move into a ****hole and then claim that it was already damaged/dirty when you moved in.  There are enough brand new condos at every price point that this shouldn’t be an issue.
 

When you give your landlord notice (near the completion of the contract...one month before moving out), let him know that you will leave the place in immaculate condition and that you expect your deposit to be returned upon final inspection and move out.  Expect the standard cleaning fee to be deducted.  I have done this every time and never had a problem.

 

I have read so many “landlord didn’t return my deposit” threads where subsequently we are informed that the renter had done things like damage the wood floors with a rolling desk chair (get a floor protector) or had even painted the unit black.  Don’t be one of those types.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

If you want your deposit back...don’t mess the place up.  
 

Don’t move into a ****hole and then claim that it was already damaged/dirty when you moved in.  There are enough brand new condos at every price point that this shouldn’t be an issue.
 

When you give your landlord notice (near the completion of the contact...one month before moving out), let him know that you will leave the place in immaculate condition and that you expect your deposit to be returned upon final inspection and move out.  Expect the standard cleaning fee to be deducted.  I have done this every time and never had a problem.

 

I have read so many “landlord didn’t return my deposit” threads where subsequently we are informed that the renter had done things like damage the wood floors with a rolling desk chair (get a floor protector) or had even painted the unit black.  Don’t be one of those types.

 

 

Of course if someone messes the place up they are responsible and the landlord should keep the deposit and rightly so.  I dont need to listen to advise about messing the condo up as i have no intention of doing so this is not what the topic is about.

 

The topic is about advise for protecting yourself when you return the condo in immaculate condition and follow all the rules then the landlord still refuses to return the deposit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bear9 said:

Of course if someone messes the place up they are responsible and the landlord should keep the deposit and rightly so.  I dont need to listen to advise about messing the condo up as i have no intention of doing so this is not what the topic is about.

 

The topic is about advise for protecting yourself when you return the condo in immaculate condition and follow all the rules then the landlord still refuses to return the deposit.

As I also mentioned in my post, let the landlord know well in advance that you will return the condo in immaculate condition and that you expect to get your deposit back upon inspection.   You could have also questioned the landlord as to his propensity to return deposits when tenants move out.  Yes...I know that this is backing him/her into a corner, but at least you can let him know in a round about manner that you aren’t someone to be screwed around with.  If you don’t feel comfortable with his/her answer...find a different condo/landlord.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

As I also mentioned in my post, let the landlord know well in advance that you will return the condo in immaculate condition and that you expect to get your deposit back upon inspection.   You could have also questioned the landlord as to his propensity to return deposits when tenants move out.  Yes...I know that this is backing him/her into a corner, but at least you can let him know in a round about manner that you aren’t someone to be screwed around with.  If you don’t feel comfortable with his/her answer...find a different condo/landlord.

Thanks will let them know i plan to return it in immaculate condition before i move in

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bear9 said:

Hi,

 

Im currentely in the process of paying the deposit for the condo i will rent soon.

 

I have heard stories where people have found it difficult to get the deposit back from the landlord after they check out.

 

So i will take pictures of the condo on day 1 when i am doing the move in process so i have proof of the condition of the condo when i move in.

 

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?  I hope it does not come to that and everything works out well but feel it would be best to plan ahead to do everything i can.

 

Thanks for advise in advance

 

 

won't make the slightest difference what you do. If the owner is the often Thai landlord thief,  you  are never going to get it back, good luck.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rented 3 places , 1 would not give 2 month deposit back and there was nothing wrong with the house. 

 

My advice on damage claims would be get the owner to visit the house and agree what is wrong with it 2 months before you leave.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a detailed inventory list and have the lessor to sign it. Make pictures like you suggest already but also detailed pictures of damages present at arrival. Make pictures from the keys you get. Put the keys on the inventory list as well. Make pictures from electric and water meter. Ask price of water and electric per unit.

Something wrong go to tourist police.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good advise on this post. I would ask the landlord to verify the date stamped photos that you take, and give them a copy.

I would say, that having managed property rentals for expats whilst working here , I found the expat landlords to be as bad as the Thais.

Most are good and fair landlords but you always get the bad apples, and they will come up with extortionate prices to fix things and find all kinds of reasons not to agree the condition on move out.

not sure about the 2 months deposit. I thought only 1 month was allowed now, but could be wrong.

Anyway , good luck.

PS If it does go south at the end of the rental period, tell the landlord you are going to check if he / she has declared the income to the inland revenue folks. That sometimes stimulates them to be more reasonable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

not sure about the 2 months deposit. I thought only 1 month was allowed now, but could be wrong.

 

1 month deposit and government water and electricity rates if landlord has 5 or more properties.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, bear9 said:

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?  I hope it does not come to that and everything works out well but feel it would be best to plan ahead to do everything i can.

 

Make plenty of merit at the local temple and pray that you get your money back! :jap:

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Some good advise on this post. I would ask the landlord to verify the date stamped photos that you take, and give them a copy.

I would say, that having managed property rentals for expats whilst working here , I found the expat landlords to be as bad as the Thais.

Most are good and fair landlords but you always get the bad apples, and they will come up with extortionate prices to fix things and find all kinds of reasons not to agree the condition on move out.

not sure about the 2 months deposit. I thought only 1 month was allowed now, but could be wrong.

Anyway , good luck.

PS If it does go south at the end of the rental period, tell the landlord you are going to check if he / she has declared the income to the inland revenue folks. That sometimes stimulates them to be more reasonable.

I think now, if you have less than 5 properties for rent you can charge 2 months rental deposit, more than 5 only 1 month, dont ask me why something I read a couple of months ago

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, bear9 said:

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?

Never live anywhere that wants more than 1 month deposit.

It won't protect you, but the loss won't hurt so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, bear9 said:

Hi,

 

Im currentely in the process of paying the deposit for the condo i will rent soon.

 

I have heard stories where people have found it difficult to get the deposit back from the landlord after they check out.

 

So i will take pictures of the condo on day 1 when i am doing the move in process so i have proof of the condition of the condo when i move in.

 

Is there any more steps which is advisable i could do in order to protect my deposit if there is problems with it an the end of the contract?  I hope it does not come to that and everything works out well but feel it would be best to plan ahead to do everything i can.

 

Thanks for advise in advance

 

 

It won't matter you will end up scratching something or cleaning dirt of something and they will keep all of the deposit. In Bangkok I rented only two places for over a year each never so a penny of deposit so just stay longer and don't pay the rent in your last month I negotiate don't pay over a month deposit in these times. If they don't like it go get another place. And also remember they are rented beautiful places that normally are 25,000 a month for now 6, 000 a month. Don't be stupid think smart.... I get tired of giving suggestions. I am owed 800,000 in rent arrears since last year's 

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Make plenty of merit at the local temple and pray that you get your money back! :jap:

When you get it back you will be so grateful you will give it ro the temple 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, arick said:

And also remember they are rented beautiful places that normally are 25,000 a month for now 6, 000 a month.

 

Got any links or are they walkins?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best approach psychologically is to accept that you won’t get it back, however well you look after the place, but live there for a few years, so that the deposit theft is a very small sum when calculated on a monthly basis. I’m guessing that due to Covid you are getting a good deal?
 

When you eventually leave anything you get back is a bonus. It’s not just a Thailand issue, it seems to happen everywhere. So enjoy Thailand, and don’t sweat over a rent deposit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to establish a relationship with your landlord. Don't go through an agent. Make direct contact by checking phone nos on properties. Initial inspection will show you how much the landlord values their property and the condition they expect it back in. Plenty of photos of course. A years wear and rear will easily amount to more than a months rent so 2 mths deposit is a minimum. If you go through an agent then 1 of those 2 mths goes to them. If you negotiate directly with the landlord you will therefore get a better deal. For us we charge between 15-17 k through an agent and 13k without. Inspection 1 mths before the end can identify problem areas which the tenant can rectify. But you can't assess all the damage until vacation eg moving out damage stained furniture uncleaned appliances

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually renting through some company. Then I always get my deposit back. But at same time it costs about 500-1000bht more per month. 

Check the shower so it works and appliances. Ask who pays if the aircon needs fill up or repair. TV needs to be run and by all means ask who pays the yearly service cost and other surprises. Check behind sofas. Check behind paintings, curtains etc. And I would definitely ask to sleep 1 night before I take it so you won't get any surprises. I have rented condos that was 100m from a mosque. Condos where on the night heard through walls dogs, family feuds, sexacts etc etc. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically the only possible way would be to ask previous tenant, how leaving went, if they will not supply details then you know your answer. 

 

Perhaps and I say perhaps ask him to use a properrty agent.

 

Also never agree to two months deposit, one is sufficient, and only one month rent in advance, ask about who gets the water bills etc and that you do not pay an uplifted price.

 

Ask who pays for services / repairs to equipment ie Air Con etc, check for cracked windows, damp, damaged doors, refridgerator works and not too old. 

 

Does the paintwork look fresh, will he expect you to pay for repainting when leaving.

 

Check furniture is in excellent condition, check Air Con works well, ask when last serviced.

 

Check safety cut out fuses etc, check sockets do not look overheated.

 

Check out the property at night and weekends for noise etc.

 

Say hello to neighbours and ask them some questions.  Any dogs nearby?

 

Anyway I'm sure others might have advice, good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When it's time to move out soon (at least one month in advance) contact your landlord and tell him to deduct the last months rent from your deposit. Like this there is only one month deposit at risk (even less than this, you have to deduct electricity and water charges).

If you have caused any damages, inform the landlord beforehand, so that he can get a repair quote. In case you don't agree with his quote you can also get a second opinion and have time to discuss about this with your landlord.

On the day of moving out have a third person with you who can act as witness. At this point everything regarding repairs should be clear between you two, so there is no reason why he can't return your deposit on the spot (check the meter readings for electricity and water, and do the math as two how much you owe him based on the last bills yourself).

If he has any excuse why he can't return your deposit on the spot, take a piece of paper and write everything down. Let him confirm in writing that everything with the condo is OK (or in case there are damages, detail what they are and how much you agree to pay for them), and that he will return your deposit within a week or something like this (+2% interest per month if he fails to do this)

If he refuses to give you the deposit and also refuses to sign such a paper, just tell him that you won't move out and hand over the keys until you get your deposit back, because he could access the property and cause damages when you are not there anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...