New Car/SUV recomendation for Koh Samui

tommytank

Greetz!

I have just moved back to Thailand and need to buy a new car / suv to get around Samui.  When I lived there previously I had a Ford Everest which was a brilliant car.  I loved it.

I'm currently renting a honda civic and would consider a small car like this but the issue is ground clearance.  I build villas and yesterday I visited a site and nearly grounded the damn thing on a terrible road.

I'm open to all suggestions.  I would definitely consider an Everest again, but not sure if I really need something that big.  I also don't need a pick-up truck as I wouldn't use the bed in the back.

My car back in the USA was a Porsche Macan Turbo.  I wish I could haven't brought it with me, it was an amazing SUV and would be perfect for what I need here.

So all suggestions welcome, thank you

I know you said no pickup, but if you want something cool, really good handling (off road and better than an Everest on road), then get a Ford Raptor and all your ground clearance problems have gone away. Granted it is big but has a much more sporty image than an Everest and it stands out from the rest of the pick ups in terms of performance, looks and image. I've got a roll up cover on the bed and so the bed can be used for throwing in lifestyle items when you go to the beach etc and be kept out of prying eyes, freeing up the inside for people . (the bed is also good for carrying smelly Thai food LOL).  The best thing is with the  coil suspension and Fox race shock absorbers, when you encounter potholes or bumps, you don't need to slow down at all. The faster you hit them the better actually. It just goes straight over with no fuss. On Baja mode on sandy tracks it is a real hoot too. Coming from a Macan, you will definitely notice the lack of power but then again the Raptor has the same 210 hp 500N/M Bi turbo as the top spec Everests and for the price and most Thai road conditions, I think the power adequate if not stellar.  I would think Raptor would out-handle the Macan on the rough stuff which let's face it, is pretty much everywhere in Thailand. Ford servicing costs and convenience vs Porsche? No brainer there too.

My current Samui cars are a John Cooper Works Mini Countryman and an Audi TT.  I adore them both, but the lack of local service/repair facilities is always a bit of a worry, although I travel within Thailand a lot so at least on the service side I can use Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, etc.  If you plan to drive frequently to the mainland you could definitely consider a Macan, but the model offered here, if I recall, isn't top end, and would set you back +/- THB5 million.

I had a Honda CRV dual-turbo diesel (model DT-EL 4WD) for a couple of years, but sold it last May when I got the JCW Mini.  The Honda is a pretty impressive SUV, probably the best of the non-truck-based SUVs, with adequate ground clearance for most Samui conditions, and great to drive when you get off the island -- and local servicing, of course.  Surprisingly, my Countryman has the same ground clearance as the CRV and loads of space, plus electrifying performance (306hp) -- so if you are into that sort of thing it could be another option. 

When I bought the Honda a couple of years back, I also looked and and drove the Everest, Fortuner (which I had owned before), Pajero and Mazda CX-5.  The Mazda CX-5 was pretty impressive, and I nearly went for it.  I believe Mazda now have a turbo version of the CX-5 if performance is important to you.  And they now offer the Mazda CX-8 in Thailand -- don't know much about it but worth a look I would think.  

If you do decide to go for a truck, the latest Isuzu spec looks really impressive and may be worth considering.

As many here will likely tell you, if you plan to change cars fairly frequently and if resale value is highly important, then Toyotas and Hondas tend to lead in that regard

Good luck with your search

Morning All,

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not bothered about looks, sportiness, etc.  The Macan Turbo I have in the States was an amazing SUV, the handling was superb.  I also have a 911 GTS and a 458 back there.  I could afford to buy a Macan here if I wanted but I refuse to pay double the price back home. 

In the end I've decided just to go with the Mazda CX-5 2.5 Turbo SP AWD.  It will be fine for what I need.

BR. Tom.

23 hours ago, tommytank said:

Greetz!

I have just moved back to Thailand and need to buy a new car / suv to get around Samui.  When I lived there previously I had a Ford Everest which was a brilliant car.  I loved it.

I'm currently renting a honda civic and would consider a small car like this but the issue is ground clearance.  I build villas and yesterday I visited a site and nearly grounded the damn thing on a terrible road.

I'm open to all suggestions.  I would definitely consider an Everest again, but not sure if I really need something that big.  I also don't need a pick-up truck as I wouldn't use the bed in the back.

My car back in the USA was a Porsche Macan Turbo.  I wish I could haven't brought it with me, it was an amazing SUV and would be perfect for what I need here.

So all suggestions welcome, thank you

Off topic i know BUT you're still building villa's in Samui? who's buying them?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Off topic i know BUT you're still building villa's in Samui? who's buying them?

Sorry I shouldn't say I build villas as I won't be any more.  These are three villas that were commissioned a long time ago that are still in the process of being built.