Jump to content

Importing my car - impossible right?


tommytank

Recommended Posts

Its not impossible, it just ends up costing 2-3 times what the car is worth.

(what Thai customs says its worth, not what you say its worth)

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, tommytank said:

Is it possible to import my beloved Porche Macan Turbo from the USA?

 

I'm sure I read on here many years ago it's practically impossible, right?

forget it. its the first thing everybody wants to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, tommytank said:

Is it possible to import my beloved Porche Macan Turbo from the USA?

 

I'm sure I read on here many years ago it's practically impossible, right?

 

 

Do you enjoy putting yourself in a situation where a government agent can legally hold a gun to your head?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only cost-effective way is to break it down in the US and import as parts, then re-assemble in Thailand. But even then there's no guarantee customs won't impound some or all of the parts on a pretext, or charge prohibitive duty. And that's disregarding the huge hassle involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Pottinger said:

The only cost-effective way is to break it down in the US and import as parts, then re-assemble in Thailand. But even then there's no guarantee customs won't impound some or all of the parts on a pretext, or charge prohibitive duty. And that's disregarding the huge hassle involved.

The problem then arises when you try and register the car. The DLT will want to see import papers etc.

A car just cant just come into existence, it has to be manufactured, imported etc.

 

The only way it may be remotely possible is to buy an existing wreck of similar make/model and re-birth it.

I read somewhere that's how all the Nissan skylines exist, re-birthed  Nissan Cefiros

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

The only cost-effective way is to break it down in the US and import as parts, then re-assemble in Thailand. But even then there's no guarantee customs won't impound some or all of the parts on a pretext, or charge prohibitive duty. And that's disregarding the huge hassle involved.

i could be wrong but it is illegal to import used car parts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

i could be wrong but it is illegal to import used car parts. 

 

You may well be right, it's almost thirty years since I looked at doing it with a motorcycle.

In any case, you'd have to be sleeping with a car to want to go through the hassle I describe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i could be wrong but it is illegal to import used car parts. 

A lot of people build model cars for a hobby,

They import model car kits, they are just an odd scale size 1: 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Importing a car to Thailand? you'll have a better chance bonking miss universe and living to tell about it then importing a car to Thailand...

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are going to end up driving on the wrong side of the road... I thought I would have trouble adjusting but I found 'steering wheel in the center' is much more compelling than my left/right instinct... I had problems adjusting on the motorcycle.. 

 

but between taxes and all mentioned above - - not a good idea... bring a photo instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You are going to end up driving on the wrong side of the road... I thought I would have trouble adjusting but I found 'steering wheel in the center' is much more compelling than my left/right instinct... I had problems adjusting on the motorcycle.. 

 

but between taxes and all mentioned above - - not a good idea... bring a photo instead. 

yes only the locals are expert at driving with drivers window nearest the opposite gutter... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

don't listen to all the negative nancys here. they are all just jealous they can't afford such an awesome ride like you. if you can afford that dope ride then the taxes and hassle of bringing it here shouldn't be a problem for you either. 

 

giver man i got a guy in customs that can help. 🙂

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pottinger said:

The only cost-effective way is to break it down in the US and import as parts, then re-assemble in Thailand. But even then there's no guarantee customs won't impound some or all of the parts on a pretext, or charge prohibitive duty. And that's disregarding the huge hassle involved.

Plus perhaps that could make it very complicated to the engine/chassis etc., numbers accepted in terms of getting it registered.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

i could be wrong but it is illegal to import used car parts. 

yes you are wrong - many used car parts are imported for repair purposes

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, tgw said:

yes you are wrong - many used car parts are imported for repair purposes

Yes, many used car parts are imported for repair purposes. BUT, some countries prohibit to bring down knocked down vehicles and re-assembly.

It sort of defeats the customs procedure. Assembled vehicles are charged a higher duty than used parts - most times, if not at all times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha...  I knew I'd get a mixed bag of replies.  I also have a Ferrari 458 Italia in the USA but would never dream of trying to import that here.


It's cool, I can leave these cars back in the USA...

I just saw a Macan today and it got me thinking how much I miss that car.  It really is a dream to drive it.

 

I guess it's either a CX-5, Everest or Fortuner for me then.  How dull.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, tommytank said:

 

I refuse on principal to pay double the cost back home. 

Up to you as we say,  as in Rome if you buy here you get what the buy and sell market is here. 

If you want try getting your car over to Thailand it may well cost triple never mind double and also there is good chance of you not getting it out of customs and not being able to send it back US. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Up to you as we say,  as in Rome if you buy here you get what the buy and sell market is here. 

If you want try getting your car over to Thailand it may well cost triple never mind double and also there is good chance of you not getting it out of customs and not being able to send it back US. 

That all depends if the customs officer valuing the car fancies a Porsche to drive around in..... Then the value is inflated so you leave the car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...