With Republican firewall, U.S. Senate acquits Trump of inciting deadly Capitol riot

rooster59

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

That could be the 'beauty' of it......... he is free.......he will can now go to extremes that even republicans will find unacceptable.

Nope. He already went WAY past those extremes but his base has consumed the Koolaid, are now spiritually dead, and will never waver. The former president could throw kittens into a woodchipper, broadcast it live, and they would find a way to justify it in their minds. Or not, they just seem not to care.

• Like 2

Just now, mtraveler said:

Correction:  The impeachment process is completely separate from REALITY.   The impeachment process is completely separate from any semblance of justice.  From the behavior of jurors, to the behavior of lawyers.  What a waste of time.  

(I'm not contradicting you, cmarshall.  I'm just pointing out the truth of what a disgrace the impeachment process is.)

I've come to realize (after it was said multiple times) this was NOT a criminal process, it was political. A fancy "vote of confidence."

However it was NOT a waste of time. I and others have explained this ad nauseum. Please read through previous posts to understand this concept.

Edited by J Town
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, J Town said:

First, he was impeached - twice. I understand this is a confusing concept, took me a long time to wrap my head around it. Impeachment is like getting a speeding ticket - it really doesn't mean anything unless you're forced to pay it. The former president's sycophants made sure he didn't have to pay the price politically.

Having said that, the two-faced McConnell DID set a foundation for civil courts to prosecute the former president. He most likely will be held accountable for anything and everything that happened in this terrorist attack.

He was Half impeached, it takes both the House and the Senate to impeach him in both venues.  Yes did the House impeach him, of course they did, but did the senate concur and impeach him as well, No they did not, which begs the questions was he truly and completely impeached, or just half impeached with no consequences within the bounds of the Political process.  Hard one I know, Just like a court arraigning someone based upon evidence, but then a jury finds them not guilty.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

as their Party just make it A-ok for a defeated POTUS to incite a mob to lynch them

Doesn't have to be POTUS, defeated or otherwise......he is free to do the same again as a private citizen.....now that would be interesting!!!!

His base would be up for it....STOP THE STEAL

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You really should read the constitution before writing nonsense on an Internet forum. 

He was impeached by the House and Not convicted of the crimes by the Senate that the House filed against him.

IMPEACHMENT | U.S. Constitution Annotated | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Interpretation: Article II, Section 4 | The National Constitution Center

List of efforts to impeach presidents of the United States - Wikipedia

Try again.  Should he be kept from ever running for office again, that unfortunately is the 64K Dollar question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

President Trump was impeached twice.  In both those cases the Senate acquitted President Trump. BTW, the Senate does not impeach the president.

They failed to convict him in the sense of the law and the way the constitution is written.

“It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree.

Guess who has just released this statement!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

A bit harsh to call him an absolute coward. He stood up and said Trump is clearly guilty and he would have voted as such if not for the fact that you can't get a conviction for impeaching a former president. 

An easy way out maybe, and most disagree, but in his speech he supported the Republicans who voted to convict and noted that Trump can still be held to account outside the Senate.

Strong words, and add to that Senators from Republican strongholds such as  Louisiana and North Carolina voting to convict, and I think it's enough to take the wind out of the sails for a while for Trump supporters. 

He's still got his base but I think he's lost at least a decent share of thinking Republicans. 

It is not a fact, it is an opinion not shared by many constitutional scholars and has no grounding in the law or the use of rational thought, should be tested in the Supreme Court.

I agree with the rest of your post.

• Like 1

It is so sad to see this occurring, it is just like his reality show, it never stops.  Most of the former presidents slowly and quietly slid into retirement and were barely heard from for awhile afterwards unless they were put in the spotlight again because of something they were doing, much like Jimmy Carter and his Habitat for Humanity outreach.  Clinton stayed alive because of his wife and of course his making millions for speaches and the Clinton foundation.  Obama slid into retirement and not much was heard from him except when he was sucked into the recent election chaos.  But then maybe I am wrong and they always stayed in the spotlight, I just can not recall that happening like it is now and will unfortunately continue because people wish to live in the past and not move forward.

1 hour ago, ExpatOK said:

This case should have never been prosecuted. We all knew Trump would be acquitted and it further divided the country contrary to what biden SAYS he wants.  Shame AGAIN on Nancy for bringing this meritless case.

Very sad when both sides of the isle are a mess, is'nt it! Says a lot about the country as a whole, though I'm sure things can only improve moving forward, they surely can't get any worse!