How to evict Tokai geckos without demolishing house?

It seems to be  the dogs barking that is your main concern. Have you thought of trying one of the many ultrasonic bark deterrents? 

Whenever a dog kicks off the machine responds with a high frequency sound that, whilst harmless to them, they find very irritating. The dog(s) soon learn to associate that terrible sound with their own barking and quickly shut up.

I installed one on the side of our house recently when the neighbour's  dogs were becoming a nuisance. We hardly hear a whimper from them now.

There are plenty of choices on Lazada.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It seems to be  the dogs barking that is your main concern. Have you thought of trying one of the many ultrasonic bark deterrents? 

Whenever a dog kicks off the machine responds with a high frequency sound that, whilst harmless to them, they find very irritating. The dog(s) soon learn to associate that terrible sound with their own barking and quickly shut up.

I installed one on the side of our house recently when the neighbour's  dogs were becoming a nuisance. We hardly hear a whimper from them now.

There are plenty of choices on Lazada.

that sounds pretty brilliant actually,

i google "ultrasonic bark deterrent"

and up came a bunch of lazada ads from 500 to 1500 baht

• Like 1

Our dogs need to bark - they have this code at night. One loud bark, (that usually wakes one of us up) followed by another loud bark about 30 seconds later. This means "I need to go out for a pee". Usually once a night! 

The neighbours have two chihuahuas that live in a sealed raised kennel in their front garden. They yap like crazy if they hear a car or bike going past. We can barely hear them, our dogs hear them clearly and join in even when they don't know what they are barking at. The neighbours are clearly fed up with this as they now shut their dogs up so then ours are quiet.

Since the Chaindrite in the roof space my wife insists she can hear a snake slithering about - she says it is scoffing Gecko eggs. As we have a resident golden tree snake I've chased out of the ceiling before with Chaindrite she could well be right, but they don't eat the electrical cables and if they keep the gecko numbers down by eating the eggs good for them. Right now we have run out of Chaindrite and apart from choking us it doesn't seem to have done a whole lot.

Think we'll try the lemon grass approach next!

On 2/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, mikebell said:

Doesn't sound brilliant to your neighbours.  I live on a supposed hi-so moobaan which is dog central.  I will be leaving as soon as my contract is up, 'hounded' out of my perfect house by thick, insensitive, deaf dog-owners.

That's me, thick and insensitive, not caring a dog's doo-doo either although I do shut them up and they almost NEVER bark at night. My dogs do play follow my leader, in this case the leader that instigates all the excitement is a pair of Chihuahuas next door that yap alarm at everything. 

But we have no problem with the ungodly coming stealing things either and neither do our neighbours, having limbs chewed by 4 large dogs - I am talking GSD and Doberman lookalikes - although our biggest looks more like a wolf in fact - does tend to discourage those who might otherwise prey on us. We tend not to have visitors except close family who they have learned to accept, but for everyone else we first lock up the dogs.

Across the farm behind our home are more homes - they have been broken into. They don't have hungry dogs prowling round you see. 

So I would be quite happy to see "sniffy" neighbours move out and keep our dogs who look after our home and us and by proximity our near neighbours too. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, Yellowtail said:

Another good reason to get a cat...

I love cats, my wife is not so fond as our neighbour has cats that put muddy paws on her clean black car. They tease the dogs something chronic too, sitting down out of reach so of course I support my dogs who would tear a cat to pieces if they caught one. If a cat is being provocative and in a place of safety I do sometimes give it a fright by letting one of the dogs out - that cat won't be seen for a day or so, or otherwise a high pressure hose will carry clear across the road (we have a powerful pumped house system I installed) and pussy will get a shower to encourage it to prance up and down elsewhere.

Shame the dogs are like that, I have had dog and cat sharing a home quite amicably in the past but these dogs are half feral and will not tolerate anything - cat, bird, snake, water monitor - in their "domain".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Thujone said:

Maybe the fact that I'd forgotten to get dressed before going out had something to do with it's decision...

i had a friend who tried that method.    he is still hobbling around with the gecko refusing to let

go of his pecker.    ( you do know that it is said once they grab hold they won't let go  ????

Having lived in the land of tokays for 24 years, here's what has worked for me:

The best solution:  tokays invariably come out at night to feed, even if they live in your ceiling space.  If you have an outdoor light on one of your outer walls, the tokays will feed on critters attracted to the light.  My gardener taught me how to catch them with a simple long thin bamboo pole using a slip knot:  https://natureprotips.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/lesson-1-how-to-noose-a-lizard/

You slowly approach the tokay from the front and gradually bring the slip knot over its head, then pull to close the knot.  Tokays have incredible sticking power on their feet, so sometimes you have to really yank them off the wall.  If you want to release the lizard, carry it to spot far away from your house......you can use a gloved hand to remove the slip knot.....and release.  If you want to dispose of the lizard, there's all ways to do so......but I'll leave that to your imagination.  

#2 best solution:  a cat.  Unfortunately not all cats are tokay hunters.  One of ours was.......the cat would patiently wait for the tokay to come down the wall and sometimes leap four or five feet up the wall and bring the lizard down......then eat it.  Our other cat has no interest in tokays but does eat geckos.

Depending on where you live (city/jungle) you may have to catch the lizards a few times a year, as they seem to be territorial.......once your home is rid of them, new ones will move in.  But catching them is a pretty simple process using the slip knot......once you get the hang of it.

12 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Shame the dogs are like that,

They are like that because you allowed them to be like that.  You proudly boast that they are half-feral; would rip a cat to pieces; scare visitors. 

Sometimes arguing with a dog-owner is too easy as you have to be lacking mentally to get a dog in the first place. 

You chose to live out in the wilds where hordes of the ungodly could raid your unprotected house.  I chose to live on a high-class estate with lots of facilities including excellent security; but I am being forced out by cretin dog-owners who value their muck-making machines more than people.

• Thanks 1