Hotels call on CCSA to scrap booze ban after long weekend failed to boost revenue

webfact

12 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Reminder that there is another booze ban a week on Friday (26th) for the 3-day ‘holiday’ weekend

My goodness. This here is like a camp for survival training. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madeline Thompson said:

It really doesn't make sense to allow restaurants to be open, but ban any

alcohol.  I've talked to a number of restaurant owners and they've all

said the same thing, it essentially reduces them to mostly takeaway orders. 

People by and large don't get wildly drunk in dining establishments of any kind,

hotels or individual restaurants.

It's a way for the government to avoid compensating anyone. If they ban alcohol sales all together, bars can send their staff home (restaurants can send front of house staff home) and the government has to compensate. If they close restaurants all together, then they have to compensate all.
So it's basically a loop-hole for the government to place the financial burden on anyone but them ????

This ban is ridiculous, completely over the top, and likely based far more on fear, than on science. I understand the lockdown of nightclubs, where you have alot of sweaty people in close proximity. That makes sense. This does not. There is no reason for alcohol to be banned at any restaurant or hotel, nationwide. A total over reaction, and it means huge losses of revenue, for the people who need it the most. 

A smarter policy would have been to shut down ground zero, on day one. The truly astonishing aspect of this, that few seem to be discussing, is that this could have been at least partly avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down just a small portion of Samut Sakorn province, the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? It is one of the largest seafood distribution centers in Thailand, and it would have meant the loss of a small fortune, for some. So, it came down to sacrificing a large fortune, and the nations economy, for a relatively small amount of money, coming from those seafood sales. Nothing else makes sense. No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a blatant lack of action. And there is a high degree of likelihood, the rest of the nation would have been unaffected, domestic tourism would not have collapsed, and millions more jobs would not have been lost.

So, is this incompetence forgivable? I do not think so. And I think the only reasonable thing to do is for Prayuth, and Anutin to resign immediately, and admit complete failure. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, geoffrobbo said:

and how about lifting the ban on online sales

Agree too right , or maybe just ban alcohol altogether in Thailand so at least we would know where we stand and can then venture to a more congenial country where booze is not sold at such an inflated cost . 

ps , friend in Hong Kong just sent me a pic of wine named Hardys Shiraz , 3 bottles 320 baht equivalent . Here in Thailand if you can find it double that at least for one bottle . 

• Like 1

Is there a Ministry of Stupid Ideas in Bangkok? For years the government has done everything in its power to discourage tourism, and make life difficult for retirees who inject a minimum of US$1,200 per month into the Thai economy. Now, with no tourists due to COVID, they want to stop the remaining farangs from buying a beer or a glass of wine. Get rid of Bangkok's military morons and replace them with capable young technocrats or Thailand will continue its rapid slide down the scale of World's Best Tourist Destinations and Best Countries in which to Retire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

Can't see the point of bars closed hotels and restaurants can't serve alcohol in Bangkok when it is available in shops and else where

Plus people can travel to other provinces and drink there

Looking at the Chinese New Year last week not many people travelled to Pattaya spending their money  as the Government hoped for 

Sure not many went to Pattaya last weekend. I just contacted my hotel in Jomtien, they said they still closed due to government order.

Bars, restaurants, massage places, and alcohol can be served since 2 weeks but hotels must stay closed.

So normal Pattaya stayed empty

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

Sure not many went to Pattaya last weekend. I just contacted my hotel in Jomtien, they said they still closed due to government order.

Bars, restaurants, massage places, and alcohol can be served since 2 weeks but hotels must stay closed.

They have got it the wrong way round surely , it's the hotels that should be allowed to serve alcohol and be open to receive tourists .

31 minutes ago, ericdiam said:

It is not like this. They gave the order to close so that it was legally enabled that the employees get financial government support. Hotels can be open if they want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

It is not like this. They gave the order to close so that it was legally enabled that the employees get financial government support. Hotels can be open if they want. 

Stupid idea . A real catch 22 situation .  Would be more sensible if there were a government subsidy based on a selected amount of hotels and having a minimum room occupation ,  then that may see a few patrons going to Pattaya and getting a room for the night + hotel workers and owners all getting paid .. 

The whole ban has become a joke in Bangkok anyway with the "underground bars " serving 

behind closed doors or stacking them in in back rooms (which is having  the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to do.

Let the bars open with the same rules as before allowing all parties to look, regulate, police & ensure rules being obeyed.

At present the bars that are obeying "lockdown" are being discriminated against & are the ones that will obey all rules in regard to social distancing/ tracing  anyway

On 2/15/2021 at 9:52 AM, internationalism said:

I have thought ban is still only in bangkok (and samut sakhon), the rest of red provinces, and everywhere else, were lifted at the end of january.

if drinks at hotels are allowed all the punters will move there.

and bars and restaurants will follow and also demand lifting ban.

the way for hotels is improving their service and lowering prices. Guests will stay longer, and come back.

I still pay at my favourite places same as before pandemic, but only because they are exceptional and reasonable priced

Only in theory.  In reality, if there is a two day window for going away (a weekend) people will stay a maximum of two nights, whatever the price.  There is a lot of scope for improving service in Thailand generally, though. 

On 2/16/2021 at 10:17 AM, JonnyF said:

I'm simply following the government guidelines and supporting domestic tourism.

They are actively encouraging it with extra holidays etc. 

Who am I to question the government's policies? I suggest you follow them as strictly as I do if you're as responsible as me.????

But you did question why was travel allowed and how was it supposed to help stop the spread. An intelligent person would be able to answer that question themselves and realised that travelling especially from a red to a non-red zone was not the best way to stop covid spreading. 

As for myself I have not travelled more than 2km from home these last 14 months and then only for essential purposes, food and medicine. Most certainly not for a good time. Responsibility is my middle name. 

8 minutes ago, Keesters said:

But you did question why was travel allowed and how was it supposed to help stop the spread. An intelligent person would be able to answer that question themselves and realised that travelling especially from a red to a non-red zone was not the best way to stop covid spreading. 

As for myself I have not travelled more than 2km from home these last 14 months and then only for essential purposes, food and medicine. Most certainly not for a good time. Responsibility is my middle name. 

What a miserable existence. Besides, not everyone is in such a position to stay within 2 kms of their house.

I for example, have to travel inter provincially for work anyway. If the government bans travel then I will stop. If they continue to actively encourage it to help the economy then I'm happy to help a brother out. No need to lock myself up for 18 months. If everyone did what you are doing the whole economy would collapse, every think about that?

You can thank me later.????

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What a miserable existence. Besides, not everyone is in such a position to stay within 2 kms of their house.

I for example, have to travel inter provincially for work anyway. If the government bans travel then I will stop. If they continue to actively encourage it to help the economy then I'm happy to help a brother out. No need to lock myself up for 18 months. If everyone did what you are doing the whole economy would collapse, every think about that?

You can thank me later.????

Miserable existence... Not at all. Quite happy with my family and friends nearby. Certainly not one to travel unnecessarily on the pretext of helping domestic tourism. I do help the world economy by spending my income within my 2km radius. The world economy would not benefit because I spent it further afield as doing so would affect my local economy which is part of the world. The same goes for everyone, including you, if they spend their income. It is not where you spend, it is how much you spend that effects the economy. Ever think about that? 

You can thank me later. ????

Edited by Keesters