Hotels call on CCSA to scrap booze ban after long weekend failed to boost revenue

webfact

I can only assume it’s hotels in Bangkok that are complaining, as usual, the article is unclear. 

The whole ban is totally ridiculous, having spent the weekend in a seaside town, partying, drinking and doing whatever you want. You then return to Bangkok to live the sober life, which is somehow due to high risk of COVID in certain locations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Mrs Nunbhakdi said this ban shouldn’t apply to those who simply want to dine at a hotel and enjoy a meal.

The government have no ability for lateral thinking... next time you know what to do at the ballot box.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Can't see the point of bars closed hotels and restaurants can't serve alcohol in Bangkok when it is available in shops and else where

Plus people can travel to other provinces and drink there

Looking at the Chinese New Year last week not many people travelled to Pattaya spending their money  as the Government hoped for 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They knew what to do last time, but we all know how that went.

Maybe just maybe some hard lessons have been learnt, and this time around people will vote a bit more wisely as they can see it will affect their lives... unlike last time it was done without forethought.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

This ban is so asinine and causing so many businesses in the capital to shut up shop, that is makes me wonder if CP and the Generals are planning a massive venture into the hospitality business, shortly before things miraculously open up again.

In the meantime, I like many others will simply leave the capital for the weekend to go somewhere where the ban is not in place (for the third weekend in a row). How that is supposed to help stop Covid I have no idea.

You shouldn't be going anywhere if you live in a red zone. Responsible person NOT. 

• Haha 1

Enough is enough. Please, lift this silly ban already. The Thais are kicking back Leos in front of 7-11. They’re throwing parties in their condos. I see the chicks coming down all dressed up and tipsy, making beer runs for more. People are drinking and socializing anyway.

Meanwhile, look over in the recent teacher haircut child abuse news thread. The farangs are going stark raving mad being cooped up for so long. Keyboard warriors coming to blows. Let them have their pubs again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keesters said:

You shouldn't be going anywhere if you live in a red zone. Responsible person NOT. 

I'm simply following the government guidelines and supporting domestic tourism.

They are actively encouraging it with extra holidays etc. 

Who am I to question the government's policies? I suggest you follow them as strictly as I do if you're as responsible as me.????

• Like 1

I recently went to Hawaii.

They have a system that Thailand could learn from.

In my humble opinion, as long as you follow the rules, it's a Win-Win situation for both visitors and businesses.

You have to follow the directions to the T but it's not difficult.

Basically, you have to be tested only through the testing company listed the Hawaii Safe Travel Hawaii website and you must test within 72hr and of course, not be covid positive before entering. It was kind of a hassle to upload all the information onto my phone and do a zoom meeting but I'll take it over having to do a mandatory quarantine any day.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/

image.jpeg.a96d506f8003ded5f40baa352fe972f7.jpeg

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

I have thought ban is still only in bangkok (and samut sakhon), the rest of red provinces, and everywhere else, were lifted at the end of january.

if drinks at hotels are allowed all the punters will move there.

and bars and restaurants will follow and also demand lifting ban.

the way for hotels is improving their service and lowering prices. Guests will stay longer, and come back.

I still pay at my favourite places same as before pandemic, but only because they are exceptional and reasonable priced

Yes, high risk, high control areas only...as it states in the report

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The point is that many people won't go if they can't enjoy their favourite tipple with their meal.

I used to go to various hotel restaurants around Sukhumvit quite often e.g. The Huntsman under The Landmark hotel. A decent Sunday roast for me and the girlfriend, maybe a dessert and a few pints or a couple of glasses of wine. Spend around 2500 Baht all in.

If I'm going to be told I can't have a draught beer or a glass of wine with my food I simply won't go. It's part of the experience. May as well cook at home and save the hassle of driving and parking if I'm going to be treated like a kid and told that Uncle says I must have soft drinks with my meal. Just the principle is enough to stop me going, let alone the fact the meal experience is enhanced with a couple of nice drinks.

So they don't lose the sale of the alcohol. They lose the whole lot. And for what? I am more likely to get Covid because I have a glass of wine instead of a Coke? It's ridiculous.

The logic of a bunch of tinpot soldiers in "government" playing at being politicians. :cheesy:

• Like 2