Retirement Ext: New rule for 800K/400K proof?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What hoops do you have to jump through for Retirement extension? 800k in bank or 65k per month or combination. Simple proof from your bank. Done. Next 90 day report, show them your bank book/ statement if they ask for it. Done.

feel the same way about the marriage. Once you've done it a few times in the same office, it's a no brainer if you've paid attention. Never understood how a few pages of basically simple paperwork could cause so much pain to so many lol..

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Am I reading this incorrectly.   Your friend dealt with the Kanchanaburi immigration but is 500 KM away from their office?

"500km return" is 250km one way... or last least that is how I understand what was written by the OP... uuups... by me????

But I am so glad you caught the essence of my post so quickly...

9 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

"500km return" is 250km one way... or last least that is how I understand what was written by the OP... uuups... by me????

But I am so glad you caught the essence of my post so quickly...

Yes Kanchanaburi is BIG my 'each way' trip is 160 Km, so 320 return. There is a sub office near to Sangkhla Buri but they will only do 90 day reporting.

I use the same office and as per my previous post, I am pretty sure this could be a simple example of a wrongly stamped card which your friend did not pick up at the time. Why would any office ask you to come back after 2 months to prove the money hadn't dipped below 800k in the last 3 months?

If he had queried it at the time he'd have got a new 3 month date to return. I have had the same two years running now and have no negative comments about the Kanchanaburi office in 4 years, but like all of us sometimes can make a mistake.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Except they told him 1st to come back in 60 days, to show money as that aligned with his next "90 day report", and then to come back and report money again at the subsequent "90 day report" making proof of money at 60 days after and 150 days after.

How many more times during the year are they going to require money proof?

"How many more times during the year are they going to require money proof? "

I hope not ,as else  i have to take the whole load the last 3 months transferring when i definitive leave Thailand and so also the ret. ext. as planned in 2009 ....for 2022 

In present system i have 10 month's to do that  7 + 2 (not filling to 800K) + (1 last month valid ext.) 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Rayong can be added to the list of rogue offices insisting on this ridiculous requirement along with Kanchanaburi and Jomtien.

I can live with that one time thing , but would not like it every 3 months together with every 90 day rapport as a new common thing ,.... i hope they don't get that idea 

36 minutes ago, david555 said:

I hope not ,as else  i have to take the whole load the last 3 months transferring when i definitive leave Thailand and so also the ret. ext. as planned in 2009 ....for 2022 

In present system i have 10 month's to do that  7 + 2 (not filling to 800K) + (1 last month valid ext.) 

Thanks for clearing that up or I may have been confused. :blink:

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Thanks for clearing that up or I may have been confused. :blink:

i thought so it might ....as not the usual immigration post , but a personal sidekick as a leaver ????.... if regular 90 days money controls would be invented ...

4 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Except they told him 1st to come back in 60 days, to show money as that aligned with his next "90 day report", and then to come back and report money again at the subsequent "90 day report" making proof of money at 60 days after and 150 days after.

How many more times during the year are they going to require money proof?

Wonder why he didn't tell the IO that it is 90 days not 60 days.

9 hours ago, Robbie63 said:

I have been here 16 years now no problems till last year. I had opened a bank account for transfer but I used 2 names on the account me and my wife. Well that is a big no no here. I went and opened a single name account but it only had 1 transfer and that was it they gave me 7 days to leave, I had already used the wife 60 day for the 2 months earlier. Had to do a border run to Myanmar. I finally got an agent no proof necessary. It was 18,000 for the O and 14,000 for the Retirement Visa. The last year I have been transferring 90,000 baht a month for over a year now. But I am going to go ahead and use the agent this year Visa is expired in May because I am tired of the Immigration Office baloney. Also they have been doing free 90 day reports only pay 100 baht for post. If anyone else is in the same boat as me PM me I will give Agents Phone Number. No more going to the bank for letters no more photo copy"s no waiting all day at CW. Everyone have a good one.

Can u pm to me 

Completed retirement extension and 90 day report a week ago at Nonthaburi.  No requirement to prove funds are maintained at next 90 day or any other time.  Surely if they wanted to catch you out it would be when you show your bank book transactions for the previous year at your next extension. Maybe it's to ensure we focus on the requirement of maintaining the funds for the specified period.

If, in the past 20 years, you were 50+ years, and you wanted to live in Thailand long-term, and you could scrape together 800k baht to deposit in a fixed account in a Thai bank, and you could legitimately establish a residence in Bangkok (regardless of how much time you spent there during the year) -- then absolutely no new requirement has been imposed on you by Immo/Bkk other than one additional statement from your bank.  What is so hard about that?

34 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Completed retirement extension and 90 day report a week ago at Nonthaburi.  No requirement to prove funds are maintained at next 90 day or any other time.  Surely if they wanted to catch you out it would be when you show your bank book transactions for the previous year at your next extension. Maybe it's to ensure we focus on the requirement of maintaining the funds for the specified period.

My guess is we will see more IOs requiring proof of funds at the 60 day and 90 day points.

Most IOs do the check retrospectively (e'g. when you apply for the next years extension) but this could be problematic if a person is found to be retrospectively non-compliant. What will the IO do? Refuse an extension and give the person 7 days to leave?

Presumably the person is non-compliant from the date their balance slipped below the required amount, but was only picked up when the IO did the retrospective check? Legally, it would be difficult to apply a penalty retrospectively? And maybe the IO could be seen as being at fault since they let the person go into non-compliance at the time by not checking in a more timely way?

Whatever ,it could be a difficult situation for all concerned.

6 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

And maybe the IO could be seen as being at fault since they let the person go into non-compliance at the time by not checking in a more timely way?

Now I have read it all.

Perhaps the io could be responsible for reminding you to pay your rent on time.

It's a simple easy compliance for people to do.

Many including myself  have placed 800k in a dedicated bank account and just leave it all year round. Not difficult.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Now I have read it all.

Perhaps the io could be responsible for reminding you to pay your rent on time.

It's a simple easy compliance for people to do.

Many including myself  have placed 800k in a dedicated bank account and just leave it all year round. Not difficult.

No argument from me.

I guess I'm just trying to say that more and more IOs may require reporting back at the 60 and 90 day points for retirement extensions based on retirement using the money in the bank method (as well as the normal 90 day reporting).

This is going to be pretty inconvenient for many people assuming it can't be done online. 

3 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

No argument from me.

I guess I'm just trying to say that more and more IOs may require reporting back at the 60 and 90 day points for retirement extensions based on retirement using the money in the bank method (as well as the normal 90 day reporting).

This is going to be pretty inconvenient for many people assuming it can't be done online. 

90 day address report has zero to do with extension dates. Your first ever extension starts your 90 report clock, after that not related. In any event 90 address report can be done online or via mail.

The 3 month report back for money in bank check is just a nonsense done by very few offices. 

All the other imm offices check the money in bank requirements at the time of your next extension.

Clearly anyone not compliant would not apply for extension knowing it would be rejected.

5 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Unless I missed it, no one has responded to the solution to OP's dilemma other than TaoNow's post of about 1 hour ago.  

There is basically no solution other than to do what immigration wants or not do them and wait to see what happens when he applies for his next extension.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Wonder why he didn't tell the IO that it is 90 days not 60 days.

I'm only guessing but probably mixed up "90 day address reporting" with the "90 day money reporting" and gave him the date of his next address report which was only 60 days away. To save him coming back again in 30 days to do money report again, allowed him to wait until the next address reporting,  90 days hence.

This isn't really mysterious. 
There actually IS a national rule that 800K baht retirement extension applicants MUST have at least 800K in their account for three months after each extension.

The optional area as far as local offices is the checking and enforcement.

Check/enforce compliance at the three months mark or wait until the next extension where compliance or non-compliance will eventually be detected.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This isn't really mysterious. 
There actually IS a national rule that 800K baht retirement extension applicants MUST have at least 800K in their account for three months after each extension.

The optional area as far as local offices is the checking and enforcement.

Check/enforce compliance at the three months mark or wait until the next extension where compliance or non-compliance will eventually be detected.

I don''t think people are bothered about the new rule . What they are bothered about is the returning after 90 days to jump through another uneccessary hoop , when it , as you and others have said " could wait until the next extension for compliance " . Surely it is no skin off their noses if you comply or not. 

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

I don''t think people are bothered about the new rule . What they are bothered about is the returning after 90 days to jump through another uneccessary hoop , when it , as you and others have said " could wait until the next extension for compliance " . Surely it is no skin off their noses if you comply or not. 

Well I can relate to that. I've been ordered to do that twice already. It's annoying. But we're really not in a position to complain. Know your place as is the Thai way. 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well I can relate to that. I've been ordered to do that twice already. It's annoying. But we're really not in a position to complain. Know your place as is the Thai way. 

Are you saying that on renewing of your retirement extension in Jomtien, you were told twice already to show your balance 90 days later?

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Are you saying that on renewing of your retirement extension in Jomtien, you were told twice already to show your balance 90 days later?

Probably for two extensions. One in 2019 and another in 2020.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably for two extensions. One in 2019 and another in 2020.

I asked because I do my extensions in the same office, and have never been required to report back.

My next renewal is due this month, so will see if I get asked this time.

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

I asked because I do my extensions in the same office, and have never been required to report back.

My next renewal is due this month, so will see if I get asked this time.

Yes. We know that not everyone has been given the required demand paper. Its a bit of a mystery as to why. An error on their part?

Archived