Exporting clothes

AlfHuy

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Import duties /tax is the responsibility of the purchaser (importer).

Sending can be done by DHL or other courier service orthe Post Office.

Depends on size weight etc. as to which is better or preferred by the buyer.

If sold in bigger quantities, they might require an official invoice. Can it be done as an individual or does she need to open a company?

Any idea on how much import duties are in Europe on "in Thailand" produced clothes?

Cheers

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

If sold in bigger quantities, they might require an official invoice. Can it be done as an individual or does she need to open a company?

Any idea on how much import duties are in Europe on "in Thailand" produced clothes?

Cheers

See pm.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 5:35 AM, CharlieH said:

Import duties /tax is the responsibility of the purchaser (importer).

Sending can be done by DHL or other courier service orthe Post Office.

Depends on size weight etc. as to which is better or preferred by the buyer.

That is totally up to the agreement between buyer and seller. Most are using Incoterms.

if needed she can get an export permit at no cost(my wife got one), you can download a commercial invoice  from the web at no cost and keep a copy on your pc as well then fill in the details then just add the purchsers name etc when they buy, dhl can do the shipping although their pricing have gone up with covid, its all straight forward really

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:40 AM, AlfHuy said:

Cheers

Cannot export / import without a VAT number on the BOL

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:07 AM, AlfHuy said:

Good morning,

A Thai friend of mine has good contacts to buy quality clothes directly at source here in Thailand.

She has some people interested in Europe who would like to order from her and retail.

First, she has not a company. How would she be able to supply an official invoice, most probably required by customs.

What is the best way to send it over to Europe?

Which custom/export documents are required?

Cost of import duties in Europe?

Would be nice if someone could give some info I could pass on to her to see if it's still an option or not.

Regards,

Sea freight is by far the most economical, air is great if you're in a hurry or for perishable goods etc, but far dearer as expected. In the very early noughties I was sending multiple small consignments to Europe of cottage industry made handicrafts and filled out the post office form and declaration, very simple for small quantities (in my case usually under 200 euros at the time) and if there was any import duty and VAT the consignee paid it in their own country. The duty is not so much, but if you allowed 25% all told, you won't be out of pocket..  (taxes are paid on both product invoice cost and shipping cost added together) ..........

I sent some larger consignments to Australia and used a shipping agent (you pay for the space by cm3 volume in containers) and they were very helpful (they were in the docks area in BKK, sorry don't have their details nowadays, butthere are loads anyway) The agents sort out all the documents, eg BOL (Bill of lading) etc and they're not that dear to employ, well they weren't back then.............

Regarding official invoices you quite rightly mention, that is an important detail which you need to get right obviously and suggest that is something you take up with an agent.

If I was considering this enterprise and didn't have the exact info needed to get going (you done the right think by asking, it's a start), I would send some samples to potential clients (just using the post office) in the meanwhile to get the ball rolling and continue making more enquiries as to exactly how to execute the business plan..................................................Best of luck.................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Puccini said:

What do you mean with LTL?

LTL: http://www.acronymfinder.com/ltl.html

Less Than Load, technically less than truckload, or LCL less than container load. h

Air-freight you generally pay per unit weight, sea-freight per unit volume. If you have part of a load, sea-freight is per cubic meter. It's cheap, but you also have to pay local pick-up and delivery as well as clearing costs. 

Customs is going to look at the order and the invoice. They have a good idea how much clothing costs. So if you put down $0.10 for a t-shirt it will not work. It gets down to if they decide to check your shipment. If it is not correct you will be fined.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Customs is going to look at the order and the invoice. They have a good idea how much clothing costs. So if you put down $0.10 for a t-shirt it will not work. It gets down to if they decide to check your shipment. If it is not correct you will be fined.

if you had any experience you would know that in 20 years business I had only 2 parcels checked in USA and EU. Only people who know nothing believe that customs check more than 1% of all parcels sent and received.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, samtab said:

if you had any experience you would know that in 20 years business I had only 2 parcels checked in USA and EU. Only people who know nothing believe that customs check more than 1% of all parcels sent and received.

That depends a bit on the size of the shipment and what country it comes from. If we are talking small parcels your right. But bigger shipments like half containers or quarter and stuff do get a bit more attention. 

But smaller not that much there is a reason why a lot of drugs go through the postal system (smaller amounts). Lots of it never gets checked. But I would not base a business on fraud. I mean including fake invoices and so on. I would not do it. But that is just me.

• Haha 1

www.getharvest.com allows you to make invoices (free).

Also you can send them thru paypal as well (free) (**they do not need to pay thru paypal if you use them for invoices.  I actually would recommend AGAINST taking payments thru them if you have other routes).

Transferwise may also provide them now.  Not sure, but you can check.  They are VERY reasonable for payment/merchant fees.

You can also create sales cart pages pretty easily if you are going to have pre-set packages that you sell.  I can link you to one that is a great deal if this is the route you choose to go.

I have no knowledge of international export or Thai laws  on this though.

• Haha 1

brand name clothes or unbranded or your own brand ?

supplying over X amount due to value will possibly make her be required to be a business
what quantities or value are you speaking of ?

but top answer is more important first

Edited by patman30

On 2/20/2021 at 10:19 AM, AlfHuy said:

IMHO, I think it happens 10 thousands of times a day that people are sending merchandise all over the world through their web shop, Amazon, Lazada etc;

Don't tell me, that they have all a VAT number.

those who dont here have been getting pulled for it, read Thai social media, not TVF
and what you are talking about is low value items,
which is really not the same as import/export or much higher quantities and value, sold B2B
since January this year
websites such as amazon, ebay etc (due to EU)
are now responsible for collecting and paying the tax in each country
this is a recent change, and was not the case previously where sellers could easily get away with not paying VAT

On 4/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, samtab said:

You're lucky i get 1 out of 10 inspected in the usa. The west coast gets way less checks than the east. 

The inspection isnt bad but the costs are in the $1000s

BTW there is a world wide container shortage and sea freight has more than doubled in certain routes