Opposition chief whip sued for defamation over allegations made during censure debate

webfact

Opposition chief whip sued for defamation over allegations made during censure debate

FBE50E74-B4C2-470C-B10A-6A1B74C7E52E.jpg

Former Transport Minister Suthep Thaugsuban filed a defamation lawsuit with the Criminal Court today, against opposition chief whip Suthin Klangsaeng, for implicating him in causing 26 billion baht in damage to the state over the termination of the contract for the Hopewell elevated rail project.

Accompanied by his lawyer, Suthep told the media at the court that he had to file the defamation suit against the Pheu Thai MP to protect his name after the MP, speaking during the censure debate in parliament on Wednesday, accused Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha of helping Suthep to avoid accountability by deliberately delaying the case until the statute of limitations has expired.

Suthep claimed that the decision to terminate the contract had the consent of the Office of the Attorney-General and relevant agencies, after the project’s owner, Hopewell Company, could not fulfil the contract and repeatedly asked for a review of the terms, which was rejected.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/opposition-chief-whip-sued-for-defamation-over-allegations-made-during-censure-debate/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-02-18
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Absolutely unbelievable, what happened to the so-called parlimentary priviledge, oops stupid me i forgot where i am.

To think about the person bringing the action, well enough said.

How is the Police station case with Suthep coming along....

• Like 2

Had some stuff stolen from my Property. The Police suspected one of the Contractor we had doing some work had stolen the stuff and took him to criminal court. He sued for defamation against us. After several months, he lost his court case. five months after that,  we received a court notice saying he was appealing We had to go back to court again. He lost again. Would not want to go through that again. Defamations Laws are used as punishment and plenty of Thai lawyers willing to launch these cases.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Suthep claimed that the decision to terminate the contract had the consent of the Office of the Attorney-General and relevant agencies, after the project’s owner, Hopewell Company, could not fulfil the contract and repeatedly asked for a review of the terms, which was rejected.

No Parliamentary privilege?  Nice to know the Office of the Attorney General still works after the Boss debacle.