Now the other side of the Covid expat coin

JTXR

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

There are more holes in the border than you will find in Gruyere cheese.

Most days on the other EL newspaper there are reports of illegal immigrants.

Oh the good old media.What would we do without em eh !

Considering the porous borders,and 2 other countries being less than 20 miles away,You would think people would be getting sick.Fortunately they are not.????

• Like 1

I've got mixed emotions about it. On one hand, my parents in the USA got the jabs already. I'm happy for them. On the other hand, there's no prospect if or when I'll be able to get the jab here in Thailand, and it may only be the useless Sinovac vaccine that is available.

I'm hoping there will soon be a consensus about vaccine certification for travelers allowing people to travel again without quarantine. Once that happens I'll take my chances and fly somewhere to get my jab, update my visa situation at the embassy while I'm at it, then fly back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Another big difference is that most of the expats in Thailand don't have to go out and make a living every day.  Another way to say that is that most can't work in Thailand.  Unlike most of the folks we left back home.

If they could (and had to), the Thai restrictions would look a lot more onerous, as business after business closes down.

You DO realize that the Thai population still goes to work, right? Why would a handful of expats working change the restrictions?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Puccini said:

You got your types of cheese mixed up but never mind, we would be off topic discussing this here. Go to the forum "Farang food" or whatever it is called for enlightenment.

You got me thinking that I was wrong so I Googled cheese with holes in and one of the sites that came up was this one.

https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-iq/style-highlight-swiss-cheese-with-holes/

Those holes in your cheese indicate a specific type of Swiss. This cheese’s proper name is Emmentaler because it originated in the Emmental region of Switzerland. Emmentaler is distinguished by extra-large holes and a unique flavor. So what in the world causes these gaps in your snack? They are due to a starter culture of bacteria added to the milk at the start of cheesemaking.

I thought that I was correct but I didn't check before posting.

What the name of the cheese was doesn't matter as it was about holes similar to the the holes in the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What the name of the cheese was doesn't matter as it was about holes similar to the the holes in the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

Not really.  The holes in Emmental  are completely surrounded by cheese, nothing gets through them.  

There is a great, and large, Emmental cheesery in Emmental: very much worth a visit when this is feasible.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, PGSan said:

Not really.  The holes in Emmental  are completely surrounded by cheese, nothing gets through them.  

There is a great, and large, Emmental cheesery in Emmental: very much worth a visit when this is feasible.  

You are missing the point of my post entirely,

I am using Gruyere cheese as an analogy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00PZdhQ_7U9c7EEXVM9MNnhUn34kA%3A1613908666958&source=hp&ei=ukoyYKerN9fvkgXy0ITQDQ&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYDJYyjJa3gcsVX6J-bA0p95g9NzUA6eI&q=analogy+meaning&oq=anology&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYATIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjoECCMQJzoCCAA6CAguEMcBEKMCOgIILjoFCC4QkwI6BAguEApQ4xJYnSlg3z5oAHAAeACAAegIiAGgGJIBCzItMi4zLjEuNy0xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=gws-wiz

analogy
/əˈnalədʒi/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Philosophy
Logic
Linguistics
Biology
noun
a comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies.

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Got my first jab last week but will never come back with the current restrictions and rinsing techniques employed by this rancid government it was never going to be anything different ????   

what rinsing techniques ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, clokwise said:

I'm hoping there will soon be a consensus about vaccine certification for travelers allowing people to travel again without quarantine. Once that happens I'll take my chances and fly somewhere to get my jab, update my visa situation at the embassy while I'm at it, then fly back.

Yeah the next issue on my radar is where I can go for the jab. I can go and get it in the UK sometime in May or June, but I'm only eligible for the AZ one and the way I see it that's going to be obsolete by about August anyway, so better to stay here if the situation stays the same. I can't see the US preventing the pharma companies selling to private hospitals once their population has been done, so maybe it will be possible to go there for the jab (as a non-US citizen, I mean). If they're going to be through by July that's really not that bad. If the Pfizer and Moderna jabs continue to hold up against new variants, there'll be a slack period once Europe and North America have been done, because there aren't any other large blocs that will spend the money, and boosters won't be due yet. In that scenario there could easily be supply for private hospitals in Thailand towards the end of this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1