Buffet Appetizers

The other night my wife and I went to the Plaza Athenee hotel for the buffet in the hotel's Rain Tree restaurant. The range and quality of the starters was impressive. Aside from the standards there are quite a few originals. You will enjoy it.

Now that's class.. How much did it set you back ??

1,400 baht per person. By the way, the service is also excellent.

Wow... they raised their prices .. alot .. when I went there about a year and half ago the dinner buffet was about a 1000.. dont get me wrong I think its worth it.. but thats a hefty increase. Breakfast/brunch was about 700, lunch was about 800-850, and dinner was about 1000.... do you have the new prices on breakfast/brunch and lunch?

VERY few buffets maintain the quality of fresh food.

I don't care how impresive these things look. For the price they are a rip.

I much rather have better quality and smaller portions - not to mention cheaper prices - in a regular restaraunt! :o

Looks good - the meat course may have sold it to me for my next visit in a couple of weeks

For Sunday lunch the Marriot on the river can not be beaten - very wide range like this but free flow wine, bloody mary, mai tai and beer

1500THB I think it is

Looks good - the meat course may have sold it to me for my next visit in a couple of weeks

For Sunday lunch the Marriot on the river can not be beaten - very wide range like this but free flow wine, bloody mary, mai tai and beer

1500THB I think it is

I agree. Bill Heineke (the owner) runs a fine ship. Have you been to his Trader Vics restaurant in the hotel?

I love Bangkok hotels!

I much rather have better quality and smaller portions - not to mention cheaper prices - in a regular restaraunt! :o

I agree. Many times in the hotel buffet restaurants I go for the al la carte menu. Tonight at the Shangri-La I had the snow fish...it was super. Since I live next door to the Shangri-La this is my defacto restaurant....though there is a soi food place even closer that I enjoy 2 or 3 times a week.

It is hard to eat badly in Bangkok.

We are lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. Many times in the hotel buffet restaurants I go for the al la carte menu. Tonight at the Shangri-La I had the snow fish...it was super. Since I live next door to the Shangri-La this is my defacto restaurant....though there is a soi food place even closer that I enjoy 2 or 3 times a week.

It is hard to eat badly in Bangkok.

We are lucky.

Have you been to the Novotel, Corkscrew?

I'd be interested in your opinion.

• 5 weeks later...
The other night my wife and I went to the Plaza Athenee hotel for the buffet in the hotel's Rain Tree restaurant. The range and quality of the starters was impressive. Aside from the standards there are quite a few originals. You will enjoy it.

We did the buffet at the Plaza Athenee a few weeks back but I was far from impressed. The quality of the food is very good but that is about where my compliments end.

The service was VERY poor. There were exactly three staff running around attending to customers, and while the buffet was far from full (unusual as it was a Saturday night), they simply could not keep up. They brought the wrong food to our table (even though it is a buffet, you can order certain items such as steaks, lamb chops etc which are brought to your table).

65 baht ++ is charged for a bottle of water. At the buffets at many of the 5 star hotels it is included.

At 1,400 baht ++, I thought the food was no better than what is offered at say the Sheraton on the river, Sheraton Grande, Westin or JW Marriott buffets, all which run less than 1,000 baht. Even with a 50% discount card, the cost for two ran to almost 2,000 baht.

I don't think the food on offer, nor the selection, was as good as my personal favourite, the Sheraton Grande.

There is a lot of choice in the 5 star hotel buffet market and in my opinion the Plaza Athenee does not compare well with the competition.

Stick