Jom Tien marriage visa extension!

This was my experience with my wife (running the show) yesterday 22/02, got to bank at 9.15 am waited one and a half hrs. in bank to get up to date 400.000 bht in bank proof (delay was caused by many people collecting the government hand out people were queued up outside being Monday did'nt help) went on to IO office all forms done exactly as six years before, and got rejected, needed marriage certificate updated, so onto government office to get certificate updated only to find it was closed for lunch, so onto another branch of KunThai bank to get another proof of 400,000 in bank (as first was apparently wrong and not acceptable) this bank not so crowded only took 45min. then back to government office which was now open to get marriage certificate up dated, then back again to IO this time everything seemed OK only difference being wife had to fill in a form all in Thai, one question asked was how much pension i received per month in BHT even with proof of 400,000 in bank have never seen this form before!

A hectic day, now await a phone call for home visit by emigration staff this will be a third visit by them!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

one question asked was how much pension i received per month in BHT even with proof of

If using the bank method, I would tend to say, I just bring a portion of my savings over as and when orifficer  ????. Yes I do have a pension in home country, (as proof of legitimate funds if needed) but it is not received in Thailand....

I though they were not interested in such "proof" as (for w-me) the Embassy do/may not provide verification letters.

Do I not recall reading a post a couple of weeks ago that they were perhaps lining the Danes and the Finns up for a Tax Charge on their pensions????? 

Edited by UKresonant
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Do I not recall reading a post a couple of weeks ago that they were perhaps lining the Danes and the Finns up for a Tax Charge on their pensions?

They have a DTA which, from memory, allows them to pay less tax here rather than in their home country if they avail themselves of it. Anyway that would be the Revenue office not Immigration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

Not a marriage certificate. It was the Kor Ror 2.

Document from amphur that shows that you are still married.

Has to be new every year.

OK, thanks for reply, all i was really trying to say was it was something they had never asked for before, as was the form in Thai that wife filled in stating monthly pension received even after showing bank letter for proof of 400,000bht, so a couple of more things to remember next time!

It was the girl who normally sits at the back (the normal officer was quite busy who does the checking) and takes the photo that asked for the update after checking paperwork she also said as you say a lot of fallangs are saying they are married when they are not!

13 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes so have we for the last six years, now they requiring updating yearly which was not asked for before!

Over 8 year for me. They asked for the first time in 2012. Never had one before since they did not give us one when we registered our marriage. Wife was able to make a quick trip to the local Amphoe and got the required up to date printout of it. Now a new updated one every year is needed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes so have we for the last six years, now they requiring updating yearly which was not asked for before!

Kor ror 2 is a document that shows you are still married .I have been asked for one every year , for the 4 years I have done marriage extensions. 

I think you may have just been lucky they haven't asked for one previously.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, maxcorrigan said:

This was my experience with my wife (running the show) yesterday 22/02, got to bank at 9.15 am waited one and a half hrs. in bank to get up to date 400.000 bht in bank proof (delay was caused by many people collecting the government hand out people were queued up outside being Monday did'nt help) went on to IO office all forms done exactly as six years before, and got rejected, needed marriage certificate updated, so onto government office to get certificate updated only to find it was closed for lunch, so onto another branch of KunThai bank to get another proof of 400,000 in bank (as first was apparently wrong and not acceptable) this bank not so crowded only took 45min. then back to government office which was now open to get marriage certificate up dated, then back again to IO this time everything seemed OK only difference being wife had to fill in a form all in Thai, one question asked was how much pension i received per month in BHT even with proof of 400,000 in bank have never seen this form before!

A hectic day, now await a phone call for home visit by emigration staff this will be a third visit by them!

I read about the hoops required to be jumped through and I shudder. 

Thai immigration are making it plain that they are not encouraging Farang to stay in the country. 

4 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I though they were not interested in such "proof" as (for w-me) the Embassy do/may not provide verification letters.

But they weren't interested in such proof, and they didn't ask for any, as he was applying on the basis of bank deposit. Try to keep up.

1 hour ago, rosst said:

Thai immigration are making it plain that they are not encouraging Farang to stay in the country. 

Rubbish.

Pretty easy to comply with the reasonable requirements.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UKresonant said:

If using the bank method, I would tend to say, I just bring a portion of my savings over as and when orifficer  ????. Yes I do have a pension in home country, (as proof of legitimate funds if needed) but it is not received in Thailand....

Do I not recall reading a post a couple of weeks ago that they were perhaps lining the Danes and the Finns up for a Tax Charge on their pensions????? 

They have a double tax agreement 

2 hours ago, rosst said:

Its not that big of a deal, the marriage requirements have been consistent for the last 5-10 years with no major changes. 

4 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I just did my annual marriage extension, this time they didn't want the house book photocopies anymore, so they took them out and I adjusted my list of what to do for the annual extension, e.g. deleted the house book photocpies.

The time before they asked for the Kor Ror 2, never before in 3 years, but everyone told me after that it has always been the case, so I took note, something to add to the list, updated Kor Ror 2, we went to the local Amphur and just made it before they were closing, if they closed, we would have to come back on Monday as we live 1 and a half hours away from immigration, we also just made it back there as well, it was frustrating as we didn't know where the Amphur there was.

I do what I can best to have my paperwork up to date and in order, but not once has it, there is always something different.

I am surprised you are getting a 3rd visit, I have only ever had one, that was 4 years ago, maybe because we live so far from them, either way, I remember the 1,500 baht we had to give them for petrol money....lol

You, I and everyone else knows that the system could be simplified much easier, for example, no 90 day reporting to immigration, annual marriage extension to be as follows:

1) Copy of front page of passport and TM6 entry card

2) Bank letter confirming funds of 400,000 baht in account 3 months prior or pension method with 12 months worth of statements

3) Recent photos of self

4) Copy of wife's ID card

5) Updated Kor Ror 2

6) Pay fee

End of story as they have everything already, so no need to repeat, but then again, their computer systems are probably not up to being able to handle us having personal files.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Can only imagine that the Bank verification letter was "incorrect" and so IO wanted to see if instead you received B40,000 a month as a pension.

My local IO (PT) not only requires the Bank letter, but 3 months of printed bank statements# (signed too I think....120Thb) AND photocopies of the bankbook pages going back 3 months.

Plus a small transaction in/out of the account that day with bankbook updated then and there. 

And, naturally,  Kor Ror 2 from the local Amphur.

# usually get these papers from the bank.the day before to save a rush.

Seems to be acceptable (to this IO)

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just did my annual marriage extension, this time they didn't want the house book photocopies anymore, so they took them out and I adjusted my list of what to do for the annual extension, e.g. deleted the house book photocpies.

The time before they asked for the Kor Ror 2, never before in 3 years, but everyone told me after that it has always been the case, so I took note, something to add to the list, updated Kor Ror 2, we went to the local Amphur and just made it before they were closing, if they closed, we would have to come back on Monday as we live 1 and a half hours away from immigration, we also just made it back there as well, it was frustrating as we didn't know where the Amphur there was.

I do what I can best to have my paperwork up to date and in order, but not once has it, there is always something different.

I am surprised you are getting a 3rd visit, I have only ever had one, that was 4 years ago, maybe because we live so far from them, either way, I remember the 1,500 baht we had to give them for petrol money....lol

You, I and everyone else knows that the system could be simplified much easier, for example, no 90 day reporting to immigration, annual marriage extension to be as follows:

1) Copy of front page of passport and TM6 entry card

2) Bank letter confirming funds of 400,000 baht in account 3 months prior or pension method with 12 months worth of statements

3) Recent photos of self

4) Copy of wife's ID card

5) Updated Kor Ror 2

6) Pay fee

End of story as they have everything already, so no need to repeat, but then again, their computer systems are probably not up to being able to handle us having personal files.

I think the visit is on account of Sattahip where we are being close to the IO at Jpmtien just my opinion of course!

• Thanks 1

IN the CM immigration last year wife was talking to Immi Officer...very friendly.. when she asked her...I was there...whats your husbands pension.?...She replied your joking ..hes Scottish..no idea....and the whole place started laughing.. Needless to say we got the Marriage Extension...

On 2/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, ivor bigun said:

did ours a few weeks ago ,easy as pie ,out in about 20   mins ,immigration police came a week later ,didnt even come into our house.just got our neighbour to sign and took a few pics outside ,

Yes JomTien emigration paid us a visit today our third very friendly pair unlike last year, the word pigs would have summed them up nicely!