Uk pension claim from Thailand

33 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Same here - except that I experienced nowhere near the same turn of speed as you did. Sent my claim form + birth certificate registered mail to DWP's Wolverhampton address only to discover that no-one there was prepared to sign for receipt of registered mail at that time, meaning that the whole shooting match went astray. Had to obtain a duplicate birth certificate from GRO and start the claiming process all over again. Not best amused.

I rang Newcastle about my life certificate and expressed worry about Wolverhampton not signing for registered mail.  I was assured that that was changed and they now do sign.  That was about October last year.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, Hugh Jampton said:

Hi Everyone

i am about to reach uk pension age. I realise i can apply four months before my 66th birthday. My question is, before that, how difficult is it to do online from here? And what sort of dates and documents will they require? I intend having my state pension paid straight into my Thai bank account. 

thanks in advance

RING pesion place....gice your national insurance number....thai swift code and bank account number

On 2/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, Moonlover said:

Providing the DWP have your correct address they will send you an 'invitation pack' about 4 months before your pension is due. All the details will be revealed. One thing that I do recall is that they want to see your birth certificate. If you haven't got your can get a replacement from  GRO. Details here.

Replacement birth Certificate

never asked for mine

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:
On 2/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, Moonlover said:

Providing the DWP have your correct address they will send you an 'invitation pack' about 4 months before your pension is due. All the details will be revealed. One thing that I do recall is that they want to see your birth certificate. If you haven't got your can get a replacement from  GRO. Details here.

1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:

never asked for mine

It is 10 years since I applied for mine. Things change. One couldn't even apply on-line back then.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:12 AM, Guderian said:

Just curious. My understanding was that some years ago they changed the rules so that your wife can no longer inherit your state pension when you die, so why do they want all the gubbins about marriage certificates and divorces?

Don't know if anyone else has answered, yes there is no "inheritance" AFAIK my British/Thai wife has got contributions from receiving child benefit for at least ten years in the UK so she gets a pension in her own right. Without that I don't think she would have got anything....

10 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Don't know if anyone else has answered, yes there is no "inheritance" AFAIK my British/Thai wife has got contributions from receiving child benefit for at least ten years in the UK so she gets a pension in her own right. Without that I don't think she would have got anything....

my Thai wife has an NI no as well we claimed child benifit while in England ,is she entitled eventualy.?

5 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

my Thai wife has an NI no as well we claimed child benifit while in England ,is she entitled eventualy.?

She needs 10 years of NI contributions.  When claiming child benefit she would be credited with NI contributions without actually paying, so it depends on how long she claimed and if she had any other credits through work or otherwise.  She should be able to check online.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension/sign-in/prove-identity

Guest jonzboy
23 hours ago, treetops said:

She needs 10 years of NI contributions.  When claiming child benefit she would be credited with NI contributions without actually paying, so it depends on how long she claimed and if she had any other credits through work or otherwise.  She should be able to check online.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension/sign-in/prove-identity

If someone has lived in UK for three consecutive years they will also qualify for paying voluntary National Insurance Contributions even though they are now living overseas.  In this way a person can build up the number of years of NICs and enhance the state pension upon reaching retirement age.  Currently the full pension with 35 years of NICs pays a few quid over £9,000.  For every year you pay a voluntary contribution at a cost of about £800 you will get an additional £260 per year.  It pays for itself in just over 3 years.  Worth considering if you can manage the £800 annual cost.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if you can print off the form for claiming UK state pension from abroad and fill it in manually rather than online?

They require a lot of information and I find it easier than trying to save partially filled documents online.Thanks.

12 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Does anyone know if you can print off the form for claiming UK state pension from abroad and fill it in manually rather than online?

They require a lot of information and I find it easier than trying to save partially filled documents online.Thanks.

If you can using skype or whatever, ring them as it is the quickest and easiest way to do this. Took about 10 minutes then they will send you an sms when all is completed. Did mine back in Feb this year.

34 minutes ago, worrab said:

If you can using skype or whatever, ring them as it is the quickest and easiest way to do this. Took about 10 minutes then they will send you an sms when all is completed. Did mine back in Feb this year.

Wow thanks did you phone the International pension centre +44 (0)191 2187777 on the gov.uk page?

11 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Wow thanks did you phone the International pension centre +44 (0)191 2187777 on the gov.uk page?

Yes, that is the one. Very helpful and so much easier than doing the paperwork. Can be done no more than 4 months before you can claim. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, scotsman said:

What information do you have to get ready when you phone them I know NI number  your Address in Thailand   Your Bank account. details  But anything else I will have to find before I call.

Regards 

Scotsman 

If I remember correctly, your last address in UK, when you left UK and at least your last employer. Maybe passport details, not sure. They really did not go into too much detail as it seems your NI number gives them all the info. It must be to double check that you are who you say are.    

• Like 2
17 hours ago, worrab said:

If I remember correctly, your last address in UK, when you left UK and at least your last employer. Maybe passport details, not sure. They really did not go into too much detail as it seems your NI number gives them all the info. It must be to double check that you are who you say are.    

Makes me wonder why anyone would do it differently considerering the hassle saved.

• Like 1

I've just called the International Pension Centre (+441912187777) and claimed my UK state pension which is due in 3-4 months. Very helpful lady on the end of the phone. Similar experience as @scotsman above. I was connected immediately, no waiting in the queue. All done in less than 20 minutes. Very good service. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng
1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just called the International Pension Centre (+441912187777) and claimed my UK state pension which is due in 3-4 months. Very helpful lady on the end of the phone. Similar experience as @scotsman above. I was connected immediately, no waiting in the queue. All done in less than 20 minutes. Very good service. 

Excellent thanks..

On 8/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, scotsman said:

I have made my claim by phone the usual questions that others have said but they also asked me if I was married and her full name and date of birth also the date we got married.  They asked me the date I left the UK the Date I left my last employer and If I had claimed any benefits in the UK.  I was told it will now take up to 13 weeks to process the claim due to Covid but may take less.  You can make a claim up to 4 months before your pension date if you live overseas but only 2 months if you live in the UK, I did not know this or I would have made my claim earlier, I hope this info is of some help to others.

Regards 

Scotsman  

Very helpful thanks.

• 1 month later...

Applied for mine early July by phone and took around half an hour of questions and still haven't received it. I rang the International Pensions a couple of weeks ago, they told me that processing times could now take up to 19 weeks due to Covid and that they were currently processing claims from April.

Still waiting after 12 weeks.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: I contacted the DWP last week asking for a progress report on my pension claim using a web enquiry form (it's been nearly 15 weeks since I claimed). Got a reply last night saying that my claim has NOT been received. What the ferk? 

Edited by Mutt Daeng
grammar
18 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: I contacted the DWP last week asking for a progress report on my pension claim using a web enquiry form (it's been nearly 15 weeks since I claimed). Got a reply last night saying that my claim has NOT been received. What the ferk? 

Strange. I received an SMS to tell me my claim had been processed. This came through about 4 weeks later. Give them a call and see what has happened.

• Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, scotsman said:

You can make a claim up to 4 months before your pension date if you live overseas but only 2 months if you live in the UK, I did not know this or I would have made my claim earlier, I hope this info is of some help to others.

Last month,

You can claim the day the invite letter arrives.

Mine came 3 months before my pension date, they refused to process by UK phone, said 'not done by phone anymore'. So I had to use a VPN as the claim website is for UK IP address only and blocked outside the UK.

Received a letter telling me how much I would get about a week later.

Read a story in the Express stating the pension claims have a huge backlog due to people claiming their pensions as COVID stopped them working.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1497356/state-pension-delays-retirement-age-moneybox-uk-2021

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Last month,

You can claim the day the invite letter arrives.

Mine came 3 months before my pension date, they refused to process by UK phone, said 'not done by phone anymore'. So I had to use a VPN as the claim website is for UK IP address only and blocked outside the UK.

Received a letter telling me how much I would get about a week later.

Read a story in the Express stating the pension claims have a huge backlog due to people claiming their pensions as COVID stopped them working.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1497356/state-pension-delays-retirement-age-moneybox-uk-2021

Thanks for the info @BritManToo.

I've just tried claiming it online. Changed my VPN connection to UK. The website says there is a problem with my invitation code (which is definitely correct) and won't proceed further.

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

that's the problem with phone calls, no proof

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thanks for the info @BritManToo.

I've just tried claiming it online. Changed my VPN connection to UK. The website says there is a problem with my invitation code (which is definitely correct) and won't proceed further.

My guess is your invite code has been marked as 'used', and they don't let you claim twice.

• Like 1