Driving Licence Question

I am interested in obtaining a Thai driving licence however I have never had one from my home country (UK). Does this mean I can never qualify? I have been in Thailand for three years and have no current plans to go home so the cost of doing so just to obtain a UK licence is out of the question for me.

I am interested in both a bike and car licence and carry a non imm visa and a work permit.

thanks in advance for any help.

The short answer is YES you can get a Thai driving license for both a car and a motorbike. The process is the same for both, though the cost is different.

You will have to take a written test at the licencing office where you live. You are given a booklet of traffic rules which are illustrated. You sit around and familiarise yourself with these rules then when you feel ready you take a MULTIPLE GUESS test. You have to score a certain percentage to pass. In Phuket it is 26 out of 30. You do this for both the motor cycle and the car license. If you pass you then take the piece of paper to the test centre. The test centre is usually located very close to the offices and there you will undergo a very simple practical driving test.

For the motor cycle it consists of driving round some markers and making a few hand signals. They love the stop signal and the right turn signal. You are usually in a line of traffic all taking this test and at the end you get signed off as passed and your papers stamped accordingly. You take these papers together with your immigration certification of your address and your passport to the office, pay your money and get a licence either within a few hours or the next day.

For the car the test consists of driving up a line of poles and reversing back down them. Then the same process for the license as for the motor bike. I have seen Thais knock the poles over and get their licenses but that would be very costly for farangs if it were even possible.

Thats it. Your first license will be for 1 year then after the year has passed you can renew the licenses for a five year period.

Thanks

I had a rough idea about the process of taking the test however most of the information available online also states that along with your passport and papers from immigration you must take your driving licence. Are you saying that I do not need this to take the test?

Thanks again h5kaf for the information

I have read the information on Thaivisa.com already and that is what is confusing me it states that

"The following are required to make the application :

4. 2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.

Procedures

5. Take the driving test (see Note 1 below). "

This suggests to me a) that anybody that wants a licence must take the test regardless of whether they have a licence from another country and :o that a licence for your home country is a requirement to make an application regardless of whether you take the practical test or not.

I have looked into the issue however everybody that I asked had a driving licence from their home country of some description which they presented when making the application.

I hope you understand what I am trying to ask now.

Thanks again.

When I got my Thai licenses, I had a California drivers license for both car and motorcycle with 4 more years validity,,And I still had to take all the tests and drive both bike and car to qualify for a license. So as far as I know,everyone has to take the tests.maybe because I was 70 at the time,but sheet,my mom is 93 and she still got a license and drives her own car and lives alone,,but I was scared to ride with her when she was 40. :o

I was surprised when she told me the other day that she was havin trouble getting her car to pass smog test,said she still drives but next year pobly won't get her license renewed as her eyes is gettin bad and she don't think she can pass the eye test. But I ain't seen her in over 20 years. :D

The rules may have changed but when I first got my Thai driving licenses I swopped my international license in and did not have to take a test. I have no idea if there is an age limit after which you have to test. I suspect that an international driving permit is the key. Having said all this if you havent got a license at all you cant take it along, can you? I am sure that this will not disqualify you. Instead of doing any more talking, just go along and see for yourself. Good luck.