Teaching Jobs

rott

Is it really possible at age (approx) 60, without a degree or teaching

experience, (''O'' level English 40 years ago!) to just do a TEFL course

and get work as a teacher?

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and employers would give preference to experienced applicants, but does it happen?

Sorry if I caused confusion by posting this in the wrong place yesterday.

Anything is possible. Forty years ago, did you learn grammar and syntax? Have you honed your language skills since then? Can you still run circles around a teacher who just sits in a chair reciting platitudes and vocab words into a $20 sound system? Can you make jokes and remember students' names?

Are you genuinely interested in teaching EFL in Thailand because you think you'll like it, or will it just buy you some booze and some off fees? Have you shown yourself that you (still) have what it takes to overcome obstacles? Can you stand the heat, literally and culturally? Then, welcome to the club of older teachers in Thailand who enjoy the job.

Good luck; it's a tough row to hoe.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and employers would give preference to experienced applicants, but does it happen?

Yep it happens quite a lot. Of course a degree, TEFL and experience give you a big advantage but Thailand is so short of native-speaker teachers and the demand is so great that you will find work.

I know a government university about 3 hours from Chiang Mai that is so desperate to find a conversational English teacher that they offer work permit, accommodation and 12-month contract but only require a degree OR TEFL. The vacancy has been open for around 6 months. PM if you want specific contact details There are many more.

Edited by Loaded

Hi, Rott. Your question and a few responses were moved to the Questions About Qualifications thread, because, well, it was a question about qualifications. We keep that thread pinned because otherwise your query would receive 2 or 3 answers and then fall below the first page and be lost forever. We'll keep your thread separate for awhile this time so you have time to see this answer and know what will happen.

I know of a job going in the North East of Thailand, in a medium sized school 3,000 students in a small Non falang town ( no bars no falangs and no western style shops, but Tesco Lotus only 50 k away ) It is a lovely town and the people are really friendly, but no Westerners want to go there to teach mainly because they are about 500 k from the nearest beach.

It is a hard but very rewarding life if you really want to teach.

I didn't start teaching until I was 57. I now teach 1,000 kids a week and it's great!

But I would recommend getting your TEFL first, choose a TEFL course in Thailand that will give you some hands on teaching as part of your training.

The school I mentioned are so desperate that they would take someone on and sort out a TEFL later.

I know of a job going in the North East of Thailand, in a medium sized school 3,000 students in a small Non falang town ( no bars no falangs and no western style shops, but Tesco Lotus only 50 k away ) It is a lovely town and the people are really friendly, but no Westerners want to go there to teach mainly because they are about 500 k from the nearest beach.

I didn't start teaching until I was 57. I now teach 1,000 kids a week and it's great!

But I would recommend getting your TEFL first, choose a TEFL course in Thailand that will give you some hands on teaching as part of your training.

The school I mentioned are so desperate that they would take someone on and sort out a TEFL later.

Could the school obtain a WP for someone if they didn't have a degree, TEFL or the necessary qualifications, or would they be prepaired to let the new teacher take a risk by working there without the paperwork?

Edited by aussiestyle1983

aussiestyle, in some provinces, the biggest school is the alma mater of all the movers and shakers there. Somchai calls Wachai and Wattana. They agree in their local ministries' offices, and suddenly Ajarn Nobody has a work permit, visa, and license.

Similarly I worked in a province where such formalities were simply overlooked. No paperwork, no problem (except my visa runs cost me well over 70,000 per year). In provinces like these, the rules are whatever the people in power say are the rules.

Anything is possible. Forty years ago, did you learn grammar and syntax? Have you honed your language skills since then? Can you still run circles around a teacher who just sits in a chair reciting platitudes and vocab words into a $20 sound system? Can you make jokes and remember students' names?

Are you genuinely interested in teaching EFL in Thailand because you think you'll like it, or will it just buy you some booze and some off fees? Have you shown yourself that you (still) have what it takes to overcome obstacles? Can you stand the heat, literally and culturally? Then, welcome to the club of older teachers in Thailand who enjoy the job.

Good luck; it's a tough row to hoe.

Many thanks to all who replied to my query.

Fortunately your opinions and information are far more positive and encouraging than I had been expecting, so it's looking like a 'goer'.

The jobs mentioned seem roughly as good as I had been hoping to

be offered, though a 3,000 strong school in a 'small' town is probably more logical to you than me at this stage. I have spent many a pleasant evening under the Nakhon Sawan skies so it wouldn't come

as too much of a shock.

Pity I didn't think about it years ago, at the moment I have about 4

months to do in London so I'll be planning a TEFL course for later inthe year.

Again thanks to everyone, your efforts are much appreciated.

rott

Could the school obtain a WP for someone if they didn't have a degree, TEFL or the necessary qualifications, or would they be prepaired to let the new teacher take a risk by working there without the paperwork?

Anything is possible !

Anything is possible !

thats right, but it gives me second thoughts about trying to get a degree the real way to do the right thing here. oh well, at least if i fail, i still might be able to get legal in other provinces (like im doing in bkk now anyway) without a degree if I cant in bkk when i return

Edited by aussiestyle1983

I know a government university about 3 hours from Chiang Mai that is so desperate to find a conversational English teacher that they offer work permit, accommodation and 12-month contract but only require a degree OR TEFL. The vacancy has been open for around 6 months. PM if you want specific contact details There are many more.

Government universities normally make teachers retire at age 60. But, of course, with a little creativity they could hire you as a 'consultant' instead. Where there's a will, there's a way :o

Government unis are usually pretty decent to work for, too, low stress and quite enjoyable. Basic pay is low - but then This is Thailand.

Edited by paully