Yellow book, but no longer living at the residence, do I need to turn it into the Amphur or what?

Title pretty much says it all.  Due to a divorce and placing the house in my daughter's name(1/2 Thai 1/2 American), and then moving out to Bangkok years ago, I was just mailed the yellow book by my now ex-father in-law, which I had left in the house.  There is no cancelation inside of the book, or anything indicating it has been voided.  My pink Id card is based upon that residence as well, but I was informed by Immigration that I could have the address changed on it to my current residence by going to the local Amphur here in Bangkok.  

Does anyone know what needs to be done with the yellow book, or is it still valid for the residence since the house and property are in my daughters name, although she is in the US, and the ex In-Laws are now residing in the house caretaking it, at the request of my daughter and ex-wife, who is now remarried in the US.

You don’t really ‘need' to change it.

The pink ID and Yellow Tabien Baan house book are of use to you and thus may be worthwhile keeping if you don’t mind them being registered at your daughters address. 

Alternatively you can speak with the ‘house owner’ of your current address and see if they will accept you being registered at that address, it may involve a similar process of providing owners ID, Blue Book etc and visit to the Amphur office with the owner. 

While you do not have to change it, it is no longer serving the desired purpose of proving your place if residence so you might want to go through the process of cancelling the old one and getting a new one at your current address. But, you will nto be able to do that without the help of the landlord.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

The yellow book belongs to the house, not to you.

According to the law (which isn't enforced), the housemaster has to get your name removed from it if you move out.

I do understand what your saying, but the home is still considered mine, but has been transferred into my daughters name, she is now 13, as per the divorce agreement with her mother.  When she turns 18 she can do what she wants with it and the land.  However, my Pink Non Immigrant card I have had for many years, and is still valid for a few more, also has the house residence address and is registered in the Government database and my bank accounts are tied to it as well.  I think that's why the local Amphur here did not know what to do as far as changing the address on it when I dropped by today, as each Amphur has their own numbering system for the ID's, and the one I currently have is tied to my yellow book for the other residence, and not for the Yellow book I have for the condo which I own.  I do not think I can have two Pink Non Immigrant ID cards with different numbers on them.  All I was trying to do with the ID card was align the address o it with my two Driver licenses I just renewed in September at DLT.  DLT here in Bangkok would not accept the yellow book as proof of residence and I had to have a COR for my new residences I have lived in for the past 2 years.

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I'll take it and hang it up ín my vege garden.  Yellow scares away bugs that eat pumpkin and cucumber leaves.  Cant think of any other use for a Yellow Book, well not in my area at least.  :cheesy::cheesy:

My apologies, I got that in reverse,  Yellow attracts the bugs but it needs to be sticky to trap the bugs.  So no, there is no use for a yellow book after all (in my area).

6 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I'll take it and hang it up ín my vege garden.  Yellow scares away bugs that eat pumpkin and cucumber leaves.  Cant think of any other use for a Yellow Book, well not in my area at least.  :cheesy::cheesy:

What do you use for proof of residence when you need it? (i.e. renew driving licence etc).

You obviously don’t mind paying 10x at a national park, or just don’t visit them, so that point is moot. 

The yellow book is not needed, neither is the pink ID. But it does come in handy.

I'm in the same boat, retired in MaeTaeng, 2019 got yellow book and pink card at wifes Moms place ( in her name now) , ended up moving to Sattahip, she bought our forever home here. Now all my Thai ID, drivers license, pink card yellow book show me living up yonder....Just renewed extension of stay/retirement visa and it never came up. My mind says change things so all addresses are correct. This is the final stop. Now perzackly how in the heck do I do this...roll over and get a lawyer????

47 minutes ago, yankyoakum said:

I'm in the same boat, retired in MaeTaeng, 2019 got yellow book and pink card at wifes Moms place ( in her name now) , ended up moving to Sattahip, she bought our forever home here. Now all my Thai ID, drivers license, pink card yellow book show me living up yonder....Just renewed extension of stay/retirement visa and it never came up. My mind says change things so all addresses are correct. This is the final stop. Now perzackly how in the heck do I do this...roll over and get a lawyer????

Not as simple as from whence we came from.  Just leaves one to wonder why sometimes when it should be so easy. 

I got my yellow tabien ban in Thalang, Phuket and when we moved I got a letter from Thalang amphur to give to the new amphur in Kantharalak, Sisaket and by giving that letter to the new amphur I got a new yellow book and later a pink card.

When you have got a Thai ID number it stays with you and will be the same in all new yellow books and pink cards. 

I have had good use of especially the pink card when bought MC, cars, renewn drivers licenses and got Thai prices many places. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I do understand what your saying, but the home is still considered mine, but has been transferred into my daughters name, she is now 13, as per the divorce agreement with her mother.  When she turns 18 she can do what she wants with it and the land.  However, my Pink Non Immigrant card I have had for many years, and is still valid for a few more, also has the house residence address and is registered in the Government database and my bank accounts are tied to it as well.  I think that's why the local Amphur here did not know what to do as far as changing the address on it when I dropped by today, as each Amphur has their own numbering system for the ID's, and the one I currently have is tied to my yellow book for the other residence, and not for the Yellow book I have for the condo which I own.  I do not think I can have two Pink Non Immigrant ID cards with different numbers on them.  All I was trying to do with the ID card was align the address o it with my two Driver licenses I just renewed in September at DLT.  DLT here in Bangkok would not accept the yellow book as proof of residence and I had to have a COR for my new residences I have lived in for the past 2 years.

Your daughter need to be 20 years old, before "she can do what she wants with it and the land."

A House Book belongs to the house, and it's only the "house master" that can accept names to be placed into a house book. Who is house master?

The ID-number both my girlfriend and my half-Thai daughter have, are the same after we moved, and they were de-registered in the old house book, and registered in a new, in another province. Today ID-numbers are in a central data-base.

When someone is registered in a new house book, the tessa ban office – not amphor, but the amphor issue ID-cards – will send a letter to the old house, asking the house master to bring the house book(s) to be updated, i.e. name(s) crossed out.

You might not need to live in the house where you are registered at. Numerous Thais are registered in a rural village, but lives somewhere else; however, it might be different for aliens that need to report address every 90 days (I have no experience or knowledge).

To my knowledge you need to be registered in a (yellow) house book to have an (pink) ID-card issued; i.e. you need to bring an authorization letter from the tessa ban office to the amphor office. If you (officially) change address, your old (pink) ID-card will be void, and a new will be issued.

For DL you can get an address confirmation letter from the immigration office, where you probably also report your current address to, normally it will cost you 500 baht.

In principle you should not be able to be listed in two house books at the same time, or have two ID-numbers, as they should be glued together with a passport number. Changing passport might require a lot of places to be updated with a new number, and it might cause difficulties if not updated; for example in a bank, where the passport number can be paired with the bankbook, so if you show a passport with another number, you are not the real owner of the bankbook.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:06 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Title pretty much says it all.  Due to a divorce and placing the house in my daughter's name(1/2 Thai 1/2 American), and then moving out to Bangkok years ago, I was just mailed the yellow book by my now ex-father in-law, which I had left in the house.  There is no cancelation inside of the book, or anything indicating it has been voided.  My pink Id card is based upon that residence as well, but I was informed by Immigration that I could have the address changed on it to my current residence by going to the local Amphur here in Bangkok.  

Does anyone know what needs to be done with the yellow book, or is it still valid for the residence since the house and property are in my daughters name, although she is in the US, and the ex In-Laws are now residing in the house caretaking it, at the request of my daughter and ex-wife, who is now remarried in the US.

Contact the amphur and ask exactly what to do. Foreigners disappearing or selling property then not returning yellow tabien baan, leaving them with dead files are a reason some amphur don't easily give yellow books to farnags

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, my Pink Non Immigrant card I have had for many years, and is still valid for a few more,

This is interesting because as far as I know, my Pink Card does not have an expiry date.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

This is interesting because as far as I know, my Pink Card does not have an expiry date.

Pink ID cards are good for 10 years and then need to be renewed.  Look on the bottom of the front under your photo, it will have the date issued and the expiry date next to it.  Of course it is in Thai and has a Thai date on it.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pink ID cards are good for 10 years and then need to be renewed.  Look on the bottom of the front under your photo, it will have the date issued and the expiry date next to it.  Of course it is in Thai and has a Thai date on it.

Sorry to pop your bubble but Next to The date of issue written in Thai according to my wife's translation to English, it says, and I quote "You die" so it is for life.

IMG_1643.JPG.db613ba3960382a1f01dd6010002625e.JPG

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry to pop your bubble but Next to The date of issue written in Thai according to my wife's translation to English, it says, and I quote "You die" so it is for life.

IMG_1643.JPG.db613ba3960382a1f01dd6010002625e.JPG

Wow, thats an excellent Amphur that issued that one for you as you must have been over 60 at the time of issue and I was well below that age and mine is for a ten year period

Thai id card for foreigners. Pink Thai ID Card for Foreigners in Thailand – UDON A2Z INFORMATION

This card is valid for 10 years according to clause 8 of regulation in 2551. However, if you are over 60, it will be without an expiry date (also on same clause 8).

As @jackdd says, the yellow book (same as a blue book) belongs to the property not the person/s listed in it.

Adding or removing someone from a blue/yellow book is up to the owner/house master, nothing to do with the person listed in the book (unless you happen to be both). If you move to a new place it would be a matter of going in the yellow book for the new place.

Half the Thai population are still listed in blue books (and have an ID) for places they dont live in, usually mums house.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As @jackdd says, the yellow book (same as a blue book) belongs to the property not the person/s listed in it.

Adding or removing someone from a blue/yellow book is up to the owner/house master, nothing to do with the person listed in the book (unless you happen to be both). If you move to a new place it would be a matter of going in the yellow book for the new place.

Half the Thai population are still listed in blue books (and have an ID) for places they dont live in, usually mums house.

Exactly.  Wasn't sure of having two yellow books like I do.  The daughter is now listed as the housemaster in the bluebook for the house.  Of course she has no problems with me being listed there.  It was when it arrived in the mail sent by my ex father in-law that got me thinking about what needed to be done with it.  Yes many Thais stay registered at mom and dads,  and return to vote in that district even though they live elsewhere.

40 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow, thats an excellent Amphur that issued that one for you as you must have been over 60 at the time of issue and I was well below that age and mine is for a ten year period

Thai id card for foreigners. Pink Thai ID Card for Foreigners in Thailand – UDON A2Z INFORMATION

This card is valid for 10 years according to clause 8 of regulation in 2551. However, if you are over 60, it will be without an expiry date (also on same clause 8).

Yes over 60 and excellent Amphur, but i'm a very special hansom man :cheesy:

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly.  Wasn't sure of having two yellow books like I do.  The daughter is now listed as the housemaster in the bluebook for the house.  Of course she has no problems with me being listed there.  It was when it arrived in the mail sent by my ex father in-law that got me thinking about what needed to be done with it.  Yes many Thais stay registered at mom and dads,  and return to vote in that district even though they live elsewhere.

Have you checked the yellow book, daughter is probably the housemaster in that book as well, give it back to her.

49 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Have you checked the yellow book, daughter is probably the housemaster in that book as well, give it back to her.

Yes, she has been placed into the book.  That's probably why the ex-father inlaw sent it to me.  My daughter told me to keep it with me as she is in the US for now going to school.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

DLT here in Bangkok would not accept the yellow book as proof of residence

Strange. This is accepted in Khon Kaen and not the pink ID. The pink ID is thought of as being for migrant workers, as I told my friend who thought he had a Thai ID card! 

I used to have a pink ID that wasn't from the same city hall as my yellow book. Now I am on a blue book and have a blue Thai ID card ???? 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

My ID and blue book are not the same province, no big deal and not against the law.

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

To list any foreigners who live at that property, Thats what a yellow book is for.

Best for him to keep it as he needs to get it cancelled in order to get a new one. 

In the unlikely scenario of another foreigner living there, they could get another book.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

What do you use for proof of residence when you need it? (i.e. renew driving licence etc).

You obviously don’t mind paying 10x at a national park, or just don’t visit them, so that point is moot. 

The yellow book is not needed, neither is the pink ID. But it does come in handy.

No one in my area even recognises the yellow book, not the traffic office, immigration, hospitals etc.  I have to get the res cert from immigration.  I havnt been to a national park for years and when I did I could show my teachers ID to get in at Thai price.  As I stated clearly and underlined in my post "in my area" no-one recognises the yellow book so pointless having one.

It is only handy if the person/dept you are showing it to recognises it.

Archived