Family Emergency! Avoid quarantine with a test?

Ben HM

My girlfriend is Thai national currently living in Vancouver Canada. Her mother is dying of cancer so she need to fly back ASAP. Does anyone know of any possible way that she will be able to avoid 14 days quarantine, perhaps with a test or something?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Its a very hard time for her to be in this situation at the moment.

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Ben HM said:

Does anyone know of any possible way that she will be able to avoid 14 days quarantine, perhaps with a test or something?

To date, none whatsoever. Sadly, she isn't the first nor I doubt the last in this situation in various countries around the world.

• Like 1

Although I'm unaware of any provisions for returning without ASQ, I'd call your local Thai Embassy and check.  I suspect that even if there were a provision for emergency return, without a death certificate, I'd guess that's a game changer.

Apply for COE, state ASQ, and get her on the first available flight.  

3 hours ago, Ben HM said:

If she cannot visit her mother because of quarantine and she dies in that time then the whole trip would be pointless for her.

Funeral, consoling family and friends, dealing with the paperwork, family holdings. 

Think positively, urge her to return, and get through the quarantine process ASAP.

What is the mother's diagnosis and prognonsis? The mother is in a hospital? Receiving any treatment?

Certainly arrange a LINE video call ASAP. Most people who've lost a loved one have reflected positively on the ability to have a video call before a passing.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this situation, and know how difficult this situation is. Just had to check this recently. My mother-in-law unexpectedly passed away, and we could not find any way to get an exemption. We started to look for options when she was still alive - but she passed away 24 hours later. As a result she could not attend the ceremonies and the cremation about a week later, and had to follow all through a video call without any family members close to her. Very hard - but while some other countries have exemptions in these situations - Thailand appears not to have any.

Depending on the situation and diagnosis she probably should consider to go there as soon as possible and hope she is there in time. One thing to take into account though is that in case things turn bad quickly, that she may be stuck by herself in quarantine (if you are not joining her) and having to deal with the bad news by herself without any support.

Can second mtls2005's suggestion of setting up a video call. In my mother-in-laws case she (unexpectedly) passed away within 24 hours after a surgery, but the ability to say goodbye by video call while she was in the ICU was very important. We also ensured that a videographer/ photographer was there at the ceremonies - which I would highly recommend as well.

We always went with the assumption that in case of urgency the distance is max. 24 hours and perhaps a very expensive last minute ticket, but the reality now is that Thailand it is 17 days travel to see family. Now decided to go for the 100 days ceremony rather than arriving after the fact - and plan the quarantine hassle accordingly...

I think others are essentially correct.  At present there is no known exception policy to ASQ or SQ.. That said, the CCSA, as the primary entity with jurisdiction over the whole ASQ/SQ process, I suspect would be the entity that would have the authority to issue a waiver, which would be at their sole discretion. 

but... i think (my opinion only) the odds of that are very close to zero...

however, i don’t think you have anything “to lose” so to speak by asking... so... i’d get into contact with your local Embassy as they would be the folks who might know who or what division of the CCSA you would need to contact, the process and other insights.

I would therefore start with your local Embassy and go from there.

Lastly, while i can appreciate the emotional impact this issue carries, I don’t know that i’d endorse the idea of intentionally and willfully “breaking” quarantine as it’s my opinion that the public “sentiment” towards non-complaint foreigners with regards to quarantine rules isn’t very positive and that might mean any violators would be handled in the most strict manner. 

Edited by new2here

I would just add one thing to this discussion.  My wife and I missed her brother's death and funeral due to the restrictions.  I would say, however, based on our experience of travelling to Thailand after the event, that one needs about 2 weeks, rather than 2 days, to get the appropriate paperwork to fly.  First there's the applications for certificates of entry (COE) for both parties, which is carried out online in two stages, each of which can take three days.  Then there's a visa for the non-Thai passport holder (even if one isn't required in normal times), which is required before stage 2 of the COE application alongwith flight number, ASQ details, and COVID insurance details.  Finally there's the COVID test and separate fit-to-fly certificate, signed by a doctor, before flight, which I don't think can be done in less than 24 hours, since the quickie lateral flow test is not acceptable. 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:43 AM, Ben HM said:
My girlfriend is Thai national currently living in Vancouver Canada. Her mother is dying of cancer so she need to fly back ASAP. Does anyone know of any possible way that she will be able to avoid 14 days quarantine, perhaps with a test or something?

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Its a very hard time for her to be in this situation at the moment.

Thanks!

My wife's mother is also very sisk, old and frail, could go at any moment, they talk on a video phone 2 or 3 times a week, but there are hundreds of thousands in the same boat due to this covid rubbish. Try to live you life the best way you can make sure she has the best care, food, etc., send some money like we do.

Also try to help others financially, there are many who don't have falang husband support.

Good luck.