Changing back to WP from Retirement Ext.

I am over 60 and have been offered 2-3 hours per week in a company that teaches a niche method of TEFL. I have lived legally with a retirement ext. for about five years.

I know that I must not work without a WP, and I don't wish to be deported, but the salary is good. Technically, do I also need a licence (I have 4 degrees)?

The company does not provide a "visa" (I guess the paperwork) for casual staff who work 2-3 hours...although the job would be regular for at least a year.

I have been down this road before: I had a very good offer last year. I was advised to turn it down, even though I have never been "investigated" for black work.

As a private citizen...OK, farang...am I able to change to an O visa from retirement? It would be nice to get back the 800,000b in my bank!

The company provides nothing, so is there a procedure? And is it worth the hassle? Is the company acting outwith the law by taking on casuals without offering documentation?

I have worked here for many years in "proper" jobs, although nobody I know has been visited or checked for the WP. I'm guessing that there are thousands of no-WP workers and only 3 officers checking on people who have been denounced to exact revenge or for assaulting children.

Eddy

The only way to do it legally would be to apply for a work permit and change to a extension of stay based upon teaching.

Applying for the work permit is where the problem would occur since you have a extension based upon retirement. The majority of work permit offices would not accept the application for one with a extension based upon retirement.

My suggestion would be to talk to a good agent, and ask them if there is a way to get this done. I believe it is theoretically possible, although (as @ubonjoe warned) most labour offices will not process your work permit application under your current extension (though there is no law I am aware of preventing them if they are assured that no work will actually begin until the basis for your extension has changed). This is the kind of situation that well connected agents can navigate.

Is the wage from 2 - 3 hrs./week enough to support yourself ?  Assuming it isn't, how will you be supporting yourself ?  Making another assumption, I presume you will be drawing down the B 800,000 you have in the bank.  Once that is gone, in 1 - 2 yrs., what will you do after that ?

I switched from an Extension for Retirement to one for Employment, but I was being paid over B 18,000/mo. or approximately B 4600/week. on a 12 month basis.  I have now switched back to Retirement.

The company wants you to work illegal, because it's not their problem if you get deported.

Without the necessary documents from the company you won't get a work permit, working without a work permit it's illegal, so you should decline this offer.

If I were you I would also report them for letting people work illegally, for suggesting such a thing to you.

The issue is not changing to an O visa. You most likely originally had an O visa and are now on extensions of stay. In any case the usual work visa is non-B, not O. But you can legally work on an O visa if it was for reason of marriage to a Thai.

Are you married to a Thai? Of so change your reason for extension to marriage and you can then apply for a WP (will need the employer's help to do so tho).

This will also reduce the amount you need to have in the bank from 800K to 400K.

But you might have to wait for next extension to do so.

11 minutes ago, allane said:

Is the wage from 2 - 3 hrs./week enough to support yourself ?  Assuming it isn't, how will you be supporting yourself ?  Making another assumption, I presume you will be drawing down the B 800,000 you have in the bank.  Once that is gone, in 1 - 2 yrs., what will you do after that ?

I switched from an Extension for Retirement to one for Employment, but I was being paid over B 18,000/mo. or approximately B 4600/week. on a 12 month basis.  I have now switched back to Retirement.

Presumably he will continue to live on his usual retirement income and this will just be a little extra money.

Switching from a retirement extension in no way prevents a person from still being retired or living in retirement income.

Archived