Tourist Visa vs Special Tourist Visa

Currently in Canada and wanting to get back to my condo in Jomtien.

Viewing the Vancouver Consulate website - http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/visa-coe-during-covid/ shows there is a TR - Tourist Visa and a STV - Special Tourist Visa.

With my objective to enter Thailand (COE/ASQ) and after ASQ complete check the state of the condo and then have an agent convert the entry visa into a Long Term Visa (retirement) if required to stay longer than the 90 days.

What is advantages/disadvantages of either TR or STV ?

Been going to Thailand for 17 years with no issue as my visits were always short stay. But this time I may require to stay longer in these times of uncertainty with Covid.

Andrew

TR_Tourist Visa Thailand.pdf STV - Special Tourist Visa Thailand.pdf

There is big difference in the requirements for single entry tourist visa and a STV.

Best to go with the single entry tourist visa or even a 45 day visa exempt entry (75 days with 30 day extension)

A big factor is that you would not be able to change to a non-o visa with a STV since that is not allowed.

OP, do not obtain STV. Would limit your options.

My vote goes to visa exempt entry. 

With an extension you would have time to organize a non 0 (retirement). The current 60 day covid extensions most likely be available and you could obtain one of those to give you more time to organize. Do you have and existing Thai bank account?

10 minutes ago, silicastorm said:

Jack, yes I have a Thai Bank Account 

In that case it's easy (imo).

Enter Thailand visa exempt. 45 day (15 added to normal 30 for quarantine). Have your funds organized for transfer to Thai bank from Canada. 800k baht in bank on day of application for non O (retirement). That gives you a further permission of stay 90 days. 

After the money has been seasoned in bank for 2 months you are ready to obtain 12 month extension based on retirement. Walk in the park.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In that case it's easy (imo).

Enter Thailand visa exempt. 45 day (15 added to normal 30 for quarantine). Have your funds organized for transfer to Thai bank from Canada. 800k baht in bank on day of application for non O (retirement). That gives you a further permission of stay 90 days. 

After the money has been seasoned in bank for 2 months you are ready to obtain 12 month extension based on retirement.

Good advice if he plans to stay long-term.

When he foresees that he only needs to be in Thailand for a couple of months before returning to his home-country, a VisaExempt entry followed by a 30-day extension will give him already 75 days.  And he could then apply for 60-day covid extensions to bridge any additional time he needs before returning to his home-country.

21 minutes ago, silicastorm said:

DrJack54, thanks for the advice on my options,,,, looks like a solid plan going forward, step by step

Of course that plan is for ongoing stay. 

The option that @Peter Denis pointed out would also work well esp if your initial plan is for few months.

Keep in mind if you do decide to obtain annual extension and subsequently wish to return to Canada you need to obtain a reentry permit. Can obtain at immigration or airport.

There are folk that do x months in Thailand and y in home country and opt for annual extensions. That's easy especially if you plan to be in Thailand same months every year. A lot spend their home country winter in Thailand and therefore can obtain extensions without issue

DO NOT get a STV. I had one and it was a huge pain in the rear to get. At the time, it was the only viable option there was. As the others in this thread have said, you cannot change to a non-O and then get the retirement 1 year extension.

1 hour ago, toolpush said:

DO NOT get a STV. I had one and it was a huge pain in the rear to get. At the time, it was the only viable option there was. As the others in this thread have said, you cannot change to a non-O and then get the retirement 1 year extension.

Very sound advice. 

Indeed, at the time it was the ONLY viable option to return to Thailand when under 50 years of age or not married to a Thai national.

But currently, ANYBODY can return VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa.  And both of these options allow an easy one-time extension of 30-days.  After that, with border restrictions still in place, it would be just a matter to apply for 60-day covid-extensions to prolonge your stay. 

Archived