Teachers License Test?

Hi everyone!

New to the forum, so I apologise if this has been brought up before. I appreciate any advice given.

Background to the issue at hand:

I completed my UoN PGCEi course and I graduated in December 2020. My paperwork (transcripts and certificate) was sent out late January and received around early February at my current school. I informed my school to apply for my teachers license as soon as they received the documents. They have since applied to get my license about a week ago. I'm not sure why the process in applying was so slow, but I guess I'll never know.

Anyways... Today, I got the news that due to my course having had started in 2019 and finishing in 2020, that I'd need to sit a "test" for the license; even though I only received my paper documents (which Kurusapa only accept paper documents) last month. The person who has been communicating with Kurusapa doesn't really understand what test or why.

Has anyone heard of graduates of teaching course needing to sit extra test(s), especially those who have attained a PGCEi? If so, what did you do and how long did the process take?

The only hope I have at the moment is that the person dealing with Kurusapa made an error and it can be all cleared up.

Thank you for any light you can shed in this issue.

• Like 1

Hi,

i believe this is your first or second teaching job in Thailand.

First lets start with the process.. preparing documents should take as long as the printer speed at school which is probably 5-10 secs. And then that documents must signed by the school principal which can be done in 1-2 days normally. But dont forget that you are a teacher at a thai school which means you have no value at all, so your documents comes the last and i mean it. So yes, 2 day process may take months and im not joking. I was teaching before but not anymore.

Now.. is this your 2nd year at this school? If so, yes you need a 5 year teacher license. Because you can teach only 2 years with a weaver letter from the KRUSAPA at the same school. Then if you want to continue there you must apply for a real teacher license. Now if you teach at university you dont need this license thing because universities are not connected to KRUSAPA. 

To get a 5 year teacher license you need to graduated as a teacher or holding a master degree in education or studying a master degree in education. I dont think (i might be wrong) that UoN PGCEi course will give you any right to get a license unless its a 4 year or similar education. This is where the test comes. This test might be the test krusapa does to give you 5 years teacher license.

Another thing is, when they see your course degree, krusapa might thought that you are applying for 5 year teacher license instead of 2 year. Decide which one you want and tell the teacher to ask krusapa again. 

good luck

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Hi,

i believe this is your first or second teaching job in Thailand.

First lets start with the process.. preparing documents should take as long as the printer speed at school which is probably 5-10 secs. And then that documents must signed by the school principal which can be done in 1-2 days normally. But dont forget that you are a teacher at a thai school which means you have no value at all, so your documents comes the last and i mean it. So yes, 2 day process may take months and im not joking. I was teaching before but not anymore.

Now.. is this your 2nd year at this school? If so, yes you need a 5 year teacher license. Because you can teach only 2 years with a weaver letter from the KRUSAPA at the same school. Then if you want to continue there you must apply for a real teacher license. Now if you teach at university you dont need this license thing because universities are not connected to KRUSAPA. 

To get a 5 year teacher license you need to graduated as a teacher or holding a master degree in education or studying a master degree in education. I dont think (i might be wrong) that UoN PGCEi course will give you any right to get a license unless its a 4 year or similar education. This is where the test comes. This test might be the test krusapa does to give you 5 years teacher license.

Another thing is, when they see your course degree, krusapa might thought that you are applying for 5 year teacher license instead of 2 year. Decide which one you want and tell the teacher to ask krusapa again. 

good luck

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify a few things:

I'm on my last waiver. I was granted an extra waiver (2 years) as I proved to Kurusapa that I was studying for a post graduate certificate. My waiver will end in June and my visa ends end of this month.

This is my second school, yes.

I have 2 colleagues who also did the PGCEi with UoN and were granted a 5 year license (a few years back). The PGCEi from UoN is on the Kurusapa list of accepted institutes and qualifications. I also know a couple ex-colleagues who did the St. Roberts diploma (the Filipino course), and that is recognised by Kurusapa. Neither of these certificates (UoN or St. Roberts) required further tests from Kurusapa. Also, one of the people I'm referring to who did the St Roberts course waited a whole two years before applying for a 5 year license (just two years ago). So me having to do a test 4 months post graduation doesn't add up ...

18 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I believe that the test is quite simple. 

You are required to wander aimlessly into the classroom a couple of minutes after the lesson is due to have begun, armed with a textbook and a whiteboard pen - if the textbook has a post-it-note sticking out of the appropriate page that is good, shows diligence in preparing the lesson.. Tick off a couple of boys at the back for not wai -ing correctly during the "Good Morning teacher" routine. Open the textbook and read aloud for twenty minutes, scribbling the odd phrase on the whiteboard; note if you are teaching English or another subject (maths or science) in English then don't do that as it will embarrass you in front of the foreign teacher teaching the next class - you NEVER ever clean the whiteboard after a class, although you ALWAYS complain if a foreign teacher hasn't done so. Then instruct the class to complete the exercises on page xyz. and sit down at the teachers desk, open Facebook.

When the bell rings for the end of the lesson, tell the class to put their books away (unmarked), accept their chorus of "Thank You Teacher" and wonder away, having enlisted the assistance of the prettiest girl in the class to carry your textbook and marker pen in front of you like a temple acolyte.

That at least, appears to be the standard procedure, and as they all assure me they are all fully qualified graduates with teaching degrees, from Thailand, the Phillipines and various West African establishments (many of which maintained agencies on Khao Sanh Road); whereas I am a mere part time TEFLER, (over retirement age) I can only deduce that is the requirement to be licensed.

It is remarkable though how they become energised when word gets out that the Principal (a rather austere nun) is making her rounds. You will see a rather disconcerting lady in a white habit appearing at the back of the classroom. She never speaks to me (in class anyway), I think she thinks I am mad, and is mildly amused by my antics - although she did say (after Mass) the other Sunday that she doesn't want me to retire, and the children "love me"! I said that I would keep going as long as I could manage the stairs, she replied that they could always arrange my classes for the ground floor! That is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me for a while!

This gave me a chuckle

12 hours ago, CraigJM said:

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify a few things:

I'm on my last waiver. I was granted an extra waiver (2 years) as I proved to Kurusapa that I was studying for a post graduate certificate. My waiver will end in June and my visa ends end of this month.

This is my second school, yes.

I have 2 colleagues who also did the PGCEi with UoN and were granted a 5 year license (a few years back). The PGCEi from UoN is on the Kurusapa list of accepted institutes and qualifications. I also know a couple ex-colleagues who did the St. Roberts diploma (the Filipino course), and that is recognised by Kurusapa. Neither of these certificates (UoN or St. Roberts) required further tests from Kurusapa. Also, one of the people I'm referring to who did the St Roberts course waited a whole two years before applying for a 5 year license (just two years ago). So me having to do a test 4 months post graduation doesn't add up ...

hi again,

yes, this clears few things now. I really believe they want you to take a test for your 5 year teacher license because your all waiver letters are.. dead. 

Now you said the course you took is recognized by krusapa and no need to take any test but directly teacher license. Maybe few things changed since im not teaching anymore but back then i knew few teachers with some kind of legit teaching degree but had to take the exam. the reason was about some kind of lesson credits which they had not enough. There must be a certain number of lesson credits you should have after completing the course. Im sorry cannot remember the number. you might have the same problem, although you mentioned your friends or some ppl you know got the same course and got their license without any problem.

another option is maybe krusapa not accept those courses anymore.. 

another option which is also very common is, the teacher at your school just ignored and not bothered to explain your situation clearly to krusapa. This happens because of the thing i mentioned you before.. you are nothing and have no value for thai teachers there and simply they dont want to spend their time for you.

So, i strongly suggest you to go to Krusapa by yourself, and ask the people there showing the documents. Being there changes many things, trust me. Thats why i always personally went to krusapa by myself while other farang teachers were laughing at me and having fun of me. But they got their lesson at the end of the day when they saw i have the license but they couldnt because of miscommunication between school and krusapa)

About the test; i never took the test tbh. but i know lot of ppl took it. The common comment was it was really hard. If you are not graduated as a teacher it will be really hard one. If i remember correctly, there were class theories or analyzing them, etc. things in it. So if you dont have some really good educational or academical background it will be a nightmare. I had some friends took it 2-3 times to pass.. some friends couldnt and gave up, some played lottery with choices and got it.. 

good luck

Edited by problemfarang

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

hi again,

yes, this clears few things now. I really believe they want you to take a test for your 5 year teacher license because your all waiver letters are.. dead. 

Now you said the course you took is recognized by krusapa and no need to take any test but directly teacher license. Maybe few things changed since im not teaching anymore but back then i knew few teachers with some kind of legit teaching degree but had to take the exam. the reason was about some kind of lesson credits which they had not enough. There must be a certain number of lesson credits you should have after completing the course. Im sorry cannot remember the number. you might have the same problem, although you mentioned your friends or some ppl you know got the same course and got their license without any problem.

another option is maybe krusapa not accept those courses anymore.. 

another option which is also very common is, the teacher at your school just ignored and not bothered to explain your situation clearly to krusapa. This happens because of the thing i mentioned you before.. you are nothing and have no value for thai teachers there and simply they dont want to spend their time for you.

So, i strongly suggest you to go to Krusapa by yourself, and ask the people there showing the documents. Being there changes many things, trust me. Thats why i always personally went to krusapa by myself while other farang teachers were laughing at me and having fun of me. But they got their lesson at the end of the day when they saw i have the license but they couldnt because of miscommunication between school and krusapa)

About the test; i never took the test tbh. but i know lot of ppl took it. The common comment was it was really hard. If you are not graduated as a teacher it will be really hard one. If i remember correctly, there were class theories or analyzing them, etc. things in it. So if you dont have some really good educational or academical background it will be a nightmare. I had some friends took it 2-3 times to pass.. some friends couldnt and gave up, some played lottery with choices and got it.. 

good luck

Hi again,

Yes, turns out I'm not exempt from doing the test. Their reasoning is because my graduation year was last year. Perhaps PGCEi graduates who apply for a license in the same year as their graduation are exempt. Even though I graduated in December, only 4 months ago, I still can't get my license straight away. Safe to say the last few days have been a headache...

So, my current situation (bear in mind I have a PGCEi qualification and Khurusapah currently have my docs, transcripts and cert. atm, so they're in the know)

I may be granted a final 2 year waiver. This is on top of my already 8 years (6 years waiver, and 2 years study waiver). I may be granted this due to the fact that I physically cannot do the test as they haven't opened testing sessions yet, and I have my proof of PGCEi completion. So, to penalise me would be unjust and unfair (which it already is unfair as is). But, with rules changing on a whim, perhaps things will settle down in time and they'll remove this absurd requirement again.

I can only see this being bad news for Thai schools as many foreign teachers may turn away from the extra hassle, especially after going through a PGCEi, or even an in country diploma. You start to think if this is even all worth it.

I'll return to this thread when I find out what I'll need to do next.

Thanks again for your input. Any information can be of use at this point

hi,

well, sad to hear that. i hope you can take the test soon.

tbh its nothing for thai schools.. or means anything to them. because if you go.. there are another 10000000000 farang on the list waiting for a job. and they like students see new faces. you will understand what im talking about in the coming years of your teaching experience in thailand... 

best you can do at the moment is to look for another school.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, problemfarang said:

hi,

tbh its nothing for thai schools.. or means anything to them. because if you go.. there are another 10000000000 farang on the list waiting for a job. and they like students see new faces. you will understand what im talking about in the coming years of your teaching experience in thailand... 

Hey,

Yeah. Figuring out the next steps now.

Oh, I'm well aware that I am disposable here. If I leave tomorrow, they won't care who replaces me. As long as they're young, fresh faced and "handsome man".  I'm just an old part of the machine at this point that can be easily replaced (not old in age, but old to them as I've been at my school for so long now). I found that out a few years back when I had some visa issues then and I was pretty much left to fend for myself. It can be a cruel and unjust system. So, I'm reassessing my options and I am in talks with another school atm.

Like I said before, I'll return here to give a follow up on the visa/license situation soon.

But, in regards to your experiences, I hope Thailand didn't leave you too jaded and that you can still enjoy the country for what it is. The way foreigners are treated here definitely needs "reevaluating", to say the least, however I bet we'll never see that in this lifetime. Just gotta keep fighting the broken system one day at a time

Thanks again for your help and best wishes for my situation. I need all the luck I can get right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, problemfarang said:

hi,

Or another country, where your input will be better received.

So...

Here's that follow-up:

Today, I was informed that I will be granted one more waiver (*subdued 'yeah...'*) ... but let's not celebrate too early, not until I get that WP in my hands. I have made sure to keep contact with the agent at Khurusapah who stated this as back up just in case Thailand throw another curve ball; which out of experience, I'm completely expecting. This will be my 5th waiver, which is only being granted on the fact that I have actually graduated from my PGCEi course and have demonstrated academic growth. This waiver is designed to grant me the time to complete the Khurusapah test within the next 2 years, which should be doable if they don't change their plans again. Once I have passed the test then I should be able to apply for the 5 year license and be granted one.

The latest test that they had was last month (Feb, 2021). They decided to inform my school after the fact... or so my school claims. The next test is scheduled to be, maybe (with a capital "M"), in October of this year (2021). Khurusapah is in charge of certifying all the school teachers in Thailand and they don't even know when their own tests are scheduled. I would say that this is quite alarming, but it's in no way surprising anymore. Hell, the test is probably tomorrow, knowing my luck.

So, all I can do now is hope and pray that I have no issues with my new school when they apply for my Non-B visa and workpermit. I have evidence that they have said that this should be fine and my current school has had multiple staff be told this by Khurusapah just today.

Well, I guess that's kind of it.

Thank you everyone for your input. Inform those who you know of my experience if they're indeed ready to apply for their license. Make them aware if the possible headaches that may come.

This ordeal has been a bit of a nightmare. I did everything right, jumped through all the hoops they wanted, completed a fairly respected and internationally recognised course, and it's still not good enough. I didn't do anything wrong but was treated like scum when asking for help. Forgive my jaded tone, but I've pretty much had all I can take. Any more issues and I'll probably go somewhere else. I love Thailand, but the bureaucracy and inconsistencies are becoming unbearable. In a time where teachers are in a high demand, they certainly aren't doing much to draw them in or keep them.

Well, wish me luck, anyway!

Cheers for now,

Craig

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am certain if you cant take the test due to scheduling/covid issues, your school representative can talk to them for giving you an additional waiver of 2 years( A big maybe though) , During which you take the test and then you get the 5 year license.  Yes, it is a new requirement( for courses taken in 2020 and up), however, I have a feeling this might go away soon as it did in the past (7-8 years ago) when teacher's had to sit for a test in lieu of a teaching degree. This went nowhere and was cancelled later. I suspect the same to happen in future. 

On 3/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, CraigJM said:

Hey,

Yeah. Figuring out the next steps now.

Oh, I'm well aware that I am disposable here. If I leave tomorrow, they won't care who replaces me. As long as they're young, fresh faced and "handsome man".  I'm just an old part of the machine at this point that can be easily replaced (not old in age, but old to them as I've been at my school for so long now). I found that out a few years back when I had some visa issues then and I was pretty much left to fend for myself. It can be a cruel and unjust system. So, I'm reassessing my options and I am in talks with another school atm.

Like I said before, I'll return here to give a follow up on the visa/license situation soon.

But, in regards to your experiences, I hope Thailand didn't leave you too jaded and that you can still enjoy the country for what it is. The way foreigners are treated here definitely needs "reevaluating", to say the least, however I bet we'll never see that in this lifetime. Just gotta keep fighting the broken system one day at a time

Thanks again for your help and best wishes for my situation. I need all the luck I can get right now.

You are overestimating how many farangs like here and are willing and able to do the work. 20 years ago, before the TCT and twxhing licences, there was a steady flow of young westerners coming here to teach for a year or 2 then moving on. Not so much now. It's much easier for schools to get Philipinos who are qualified teachers and immediately qualify for the 5 year licence. Some parent complain about that, but usually the moaning dies down after a while - this transition happened in my school over several years. If there are hundreds of western qualified teachers (those with the 5 yr licence) willing to work for 40K a month, let me know. I haven't haven't come across any for a number of years. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, CraigJM said:

So...

Here's that follow-up:

Today, I was informed that I will be granted one more waiver (*subdued 'yeah...'*) ... but let's not celebrate too early, not until I get that WP in my hands. I have made sure to keep contact with the agent at Khurusapah who stated this as back up just in case Thailand throw another curve ball; which out of experience, I'm completely expecting. This will be my 5th waiver, which is only being granted on the fact that I have actually graduated from my PGCEi course and have demonstrated academic growth. This waiver is designed to grant me the time to complete the Khurusapah test within the next 2 years, which should be doable if they don't change their plans again. Once I have passed the test then I should be able to apply for the 5 year license and be granted one.

The latest test that they had was last month (Feb, 2021). They decided to inform my school after the fact... or so my school claims. The next test is scheduled to be, maybe (with a capital "M"), in October of this year (2021). Khurusapah is in charge of certifying all the school teachers in Thailand and they don't even know when their own tests are scheduled. I would say that this is quite alarming, but it's in no way surprising anymore. Hell, the test is probably tomorrow, knowing my luck.

So, all I can do now is hope and pray that I have no issues with my new school when they apply for my Non-B visa and workpermit. I have evidence that they have said that this should be fine and my current school has had multiple staff be told this by Khurusapah just today.

Well, I guess that's kind of it.

Thank you everyone for your input. Inform those who you know of my experience if they're indeed ready to apply for their license. Make them aware if the possible headaches that may come.

This ordeal has been a bit of a nightmare. I did everything right, jumped through all the hoops they wanted, completed a fairly respected and internationally recognised course, and it's still not good enough. I didn't do anything wrong but was treated like scum when asking for help. Forgive my jaded tone, but I've pretty much had all I can take. Any more issues and I'll probably go somewhere else. I love Thailand, but the bureaucracy and inconsistencies are becoming unbearable. In a time where teachers are in a high demand, they certainly aren't doing much to draw them in or keep them.

Well, wish me luck, anyway!

Cheers for now,

Craig

What a nightmare indeed. The inconsistency and lack of communication is truly beyond believe. I finished my PGCEi (Nottingham) 4 years ago and got a 5-year license with no trouble (well, with relatively few problems that is). But now everything seems to have changed again. A bit of a warning for everybody even thinking about qualifying indeed. Why bother spending 190.000 THB and a full year of your time only to be thrown another curve ball? 

You might want to consider picking up teaching at a university of a demonstration school where you will be far away from the clutches of Khurusapha. I wish you good luck indeed!

4 hours ago, Puut Yak said:

What a nightmare indeed. The inconsistency and lack of communication is truly beyond believe. I finished my PGCEi (Nottingham) 4 years ago and got a 5-year license with no trouble (well, with relatively few problems that is). But now everything seems to have changed again. A bit of a warning for everybody even thinking about qualifying indeed. Why bother spending 190.000 THB and a full year of your time only to be thrown another curve ball? 

You might want to consider picking up teaching at a university of a demonstration school where you will be far away from the clutches of Khurusapha. I wish you good luck indeed!

A demonstration school also falls under the requirements for a teaching license. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am in the situation as you. I completed my iPGCE course in 2020, received my degree, transcripts and required documentation from the University earlier on this year, applied to TCT for the 5 year licence, and was told that all postgraduate qualifications completed post-2019 now require an additional exam sitting with the TCT, but they haven't scheduled any yet for this year. Has anyone else sat this exam or does anyone have any further details? My school is trying to find out more, but there isn't much being made available to them at the moment and I really need to ensure that I sit (and pass) this exam within the next two years.

Thanks

On 3/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, CraigJM said:

Hi again,

Yes, turns out I'm not exempt from doing the test. Their reasoning is because my graduation year was last year. Perhaps PGCEi graduates who apply for a license in the same year as their graduation are exempt. Even though I graduated in December, only 4 months ago, I still can't get my license straight away. Safe to say the last few days have been a headache...

So, my current situation (bear in mind I have a PGCEi qualification and Khurusapah currently have my docs, transcripts and cert. atm, so they're in the know)

I may be granted a final 2 year waiver. This is on top of my already 8 years (6 years waiver, and 2 years study waiver). I may be granted this due to the fact that I physically cannot do the test as they haven't opened testing sessions yet, and I have my proof of PGCEi completion. So, to penalise me would be unjust and unfair (which it already is unfair as is). But, with rules changing on a whim, perhaps things will settle down in time and they'll remove this absurd requirement again.

I can only see this being bad news for Thai schools as many foreign teachers may turn away from the extra hassle, especially after going through a PGCEi, or even an in country diploma. You start to think if this is even all worth it.

I'll return to this thread when I find out what I'll need to do next.

Thanks again for your input. Any information can be of use at this point

So did you get the 2year extension? Sorry to bother you but I am in the same situation.. 

On 3/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, CraigJM said:

The way foreigners are treated here definitely needs "reevaluating", to say the least,

Most foreigners are treated better than they deserve. They are allowed to keep their jobs yoy. It's more than I'd do for 85% of the teachers I've worked with. Really doesn't matter if they're making 30k or 60k same irresponsible behavior. I often think many of my students are in some ways more mature than the childish teachers I work with.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, fin5prtw said:

Hello,

I am in the situation as you. I completed my iPGCE course in 2020, received my degree, transcripts and required documentation from the University earlier on this year, applied to TCT for the 5 year licence, and was told that all postgraduate qualifications completed post-2019 now require an additional exam sitting with the TCT, but they haven't scheduled any yet for this year. Has anyone else sat this exam or does anyone have any further details? My school is trying to find out more, but there isn't much being made available to them at the moment and I really need to ensure that I sit (and pass) this exam within the next two years.

Thanks

Hi! Following your post. We chatted last year. I am on my second module with Derby! Hope you get sorted soon.

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, Stanners said:

Hi! Following your post. We chatted last year. I am on my second module with Derby! Hope you get sorted soon.

Hi! Sorry only just saw your post! Hope you are enjoying your studies! Still in the same position - waiting for Khurusapa to announce the next examination! If you hear anything please let me know ????

• 1 month later...

They really need to get their ducks in a row. It doesn't make sense that a backpacker fresh out of college can come and teach here with no hassle whereas us who have made our homes here are left in limbo like this. A bachelors degree and a TEFL is more than enough in my opinion. I'm sure thousands of others would echo this.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:11 PM, problemfarang said:

To get a 5 year teacher license you need to graduated as a teacher or holding a master degree in education or studying a master degree in education. I dont think (i might be wrong) that UoN PGCEi course will give you any right to get a license unless its a 4 year or similar education. This is where the test comes. This test might be the test krusapa does to give you 5 years teacher license

You only need a Dip Ed (one year) or more for the license, so it has nothing to do with that.