Teachers License Test?

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

The vast majority of proper international schools will want you to have overseas teaching qualifications (these qualifications also enable them to get the Thai teachers licence, if needed). The best ones would require work experience in their home country. Another possibility is satit schools that are attached to universities. There was a thread here about that a couple of years ago. 

Nope, satit schools require a teacher license.

At least when I worked at Satit Chula, the labor office refused to issue the work permit for me until I got the waiver. They said it's cos I was teaching children, despite the fact the contract was between me and the university itself.

It was quite a few years ago though. Maybe in some cases it can be done, but not from my experience.

Edited by 2009

A university doesn't need a teaching license, but for a satit school (demonstration school connected to a university) one does need a teaching license or waiver. 

Teaching without a teching license (waiver) is a seperate crime, punishable by a prison term of 1 year.

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

Nope, satit schools require a teacher license.

At least when I worked at Satit Chula, the labor office refused to issue the work permit for me until I got the waiver. They said it's cos I was teaching children, despite the fact the contract was between me and the university itself.

It was quite a few years ago though. Maybe in some cases it can be done, but not from my experience.

Varies from office to office, as many things do in Thailand.

I know of someone who was teaching at Sattit Buriram. Contract with the Rajhabat Uni but taught at the demonstration school. No problems with work permit without a waiver.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Varies from office to office, as many things do in Thailand.

I know of someone who was teaching at Sattit Buriram. Contract with the Rajhabat Uni but taught at the demonstration school. No problems with work permit without a waiver.

Yeah, it's worth a try

It is not a workaround. Some labour offices might be sympathetic and you might be covered for the requirement of having a work permit. But the requirement for a teaching license is a separate requirement (Teachers Act) and is not covered by having a work permit. One would still take a risk.

At my satit school immigration checked both work permit and teaching license of foreign teachers last year on site!

4 hours ago, Preacher said:

It is not a workaround. Some labour offices might be sympathetic and you might be covered for the requirement of having a work permit. But the requirement for a teaching license is a separate requirement (Teachers Act) and is not covered by having a work permit. One would still take a risk.

At my satit school immigration checked both work permit and teaching license of foreign teachers last year on site!

You don't need a teaching licence to get a work permit. You don't need a teaching licence to teach. There is no risk of teaching without one.

Immigration would not be interested in how or what documents were used to get a work permit. If the teacher has one, no problems.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

You don't need a teaching licence to get a work permit. You don't need a teaching licence to teach. There is no risk of teaching without one.

Immigration would not be interested in how or what documents were used to get a work permit. If the teacher has one, no problems.

Don't spread false information. If you need a teaching license to teach totally depends on the kind of school you are teaching at. Schools falling under the OBEC rules, such as satit schools, require by law a teaching license (or waiver). Many have been arrested for teaching without a work permit, less without for without a teaching license as normally no labor office will grant a work permit without a teaching license for schools where it is required. Immigration checks both work permit and teaching license. 

( I am on an extension based on marriage and in the past immigration didn't care about the teaching license. Since 2 years I now have to show my teaching license as my income is from teaching).

14 hours ago, Preacher said:

Don't spread false information. If you need a teaching license to teach totally depends on the kind of school you are teaching at. Schools falling under the OBEC rules, such as satit schools, require by law a teaching license (or waiver). Many have been arrested for teaching without a work permit, less without for without a teaching license as normally no labor office will grant a work permit without a teaching license for schools where it is required. Immigration checks both work permit and teaching license. 

( I am on an extension based on marriage and in the past immigration didn't care about the teaching license. Since 2 years I now have to show my teaching license as my income is from teaching).

So, you've changed the story. First you said one needed a teaching licence to teach. Then you changed to teaching licence OR waiver. 

My point was not false information. You do not need a teaching licence to teach. A waiver is sufficient. 

Just to double check: is there any course out there that excempts you from this test?

Or does every education graduate from 2020 onwards have to take this test?

What about an M.Ed?

On 4/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, 2009 said:

Just to double check: is there any course out there that excempts you from this test?

What about an M.Ed?

This seems to be the big question. Haven't seen any solid facts on that. It seems the courses that were previously accepted for the full license pre-2020, are now no longer enough and the tests must be done as well. Who knows if it applies to all education degrees, diplomas, and certificates?

And the big question is: how many years before they decide scrap this dumb test (again)?? So then, we can just apply with education certificates again, lol.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, 2009 said:

What about an M.Ed?

It appears that even if you've done your studies prior to the 2020 implementation, you're still required to present a teaching license (either from passing the TCT test or one from your home country). That's what I've been hearing from our local TCT office though.

by the way, I believe the recent tct test results are out, anybody here passed? 

Edited by elijaveloper

Another thing that is confusing: the Nottingham PGCEi is worth 60 credits. Whereas the Filipino Graduate Diploma in Teacher Education (through St Roberts) is 30 "units"

Both are a year of study, right? Both are post-grad courses. But one is considered a certificate and the other a diploma.

Is there a different numerical value between "credit" and "unit"? Of course, we are comparing different countries: UK and Philippines.

The Dip.Ted from St Roberts used to get you the full teaching license on its own -- did the PGCEi ever get you that?

Just wondering. I know it makes no difference now, cos we gotta do this test on top of our graduate education qualification.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, elijaveloper said:

It appears that even if you've done your studies prior to the 2020 implementation, you're still required to present a teaching license (either from passing the TCT test or one from your home country). That's what I've been hearing from our local TCT office though.

by the way, I believe the recent tct test results are out, anybody here passed? 

38 foreigners took the test. All failed.

Next chance might be in six months.

My Polish friend decided he had had enough of Thailand's BS and moved to Yakutsk, Siberia, where salaries apparently start around 60k baht.

Edited by MarcelV

On 3/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, MarcelV said:

The next test will be scheduled in February 2023. I have been told it's gonna be a once-a-year thing now. My friend failed this year's test and has decided to work in Kazachstan instead, as TCT won't give him waiver no. 5. All the other foreign test takers also failed the test.

Unless you can find employment at an international school or language institute, both of which do not ask for a teacher license, you're out of luck. It seems TCT are actively trying to drive out foreign teachers now.

Oh wow. I was told that they are thinking of setting the exam twice a year. Fingers crossed that is the case. I work at an international school and we still need the teachers licence, it's only universities, language centres and higher education (sixth form/college) which are exempt I believe.

Anyhow, it all sucks and I wouldn't put up with it anymore if I hadn't burnt all my bridges in my home country and made a life in Thailand. I'd make more money as a factory worker back there.

I obtained my Thai Teachers' Licence back in 2014, which has sadly expired.

I only had a Bachelor's degree at that time so had to take the 4 TCT tests which I passed first time due to the help of the, now defunct, Thailand Teaching Forum (thanks Stamp).

I also had to do the (joke of a) Thai Culture Course which set me back a few thousand baht and taught me nothing I didn't know already.

I heard that the corrupt TCT officials had been purged after the coup so it amazes me (not really) that another 'cash cow' teachers' test has been introduced.

I'm currently teaching in China so that I can semi-retire in Thailand until pension age. Silliness like this just makes me want to stay here until I can fully retire.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 1:09 AM, MarcelV said:

38 foreigners took the test. All failed.

Next chance might be in six months.

My Polish friend decided he had had enough of Thailand's BS and moved to Yakutsk, Siberia, where salaries apparently start around 60k baht.

Well aint those bleak numbers lol. 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 AM, GanDoonToonPet said:

I obtained my Thai Teachers' Licence back in 2014, which has sadly expired.

I only had a Bachelor's degree at that time so had to take the 4 TCT tests which I passed first time due to the help of the, now defunct, Thailand Teaching Forum (thanks Stamp).

I also had to do the (joke of a) Thai Culture Course which set me back a few thousand baht and taught me nothing I didn't know already.

I heard that the corrupt TCT officials had been purged after the coup so it amazes me (not really) that another 'cash cow' teachers' test has been introduced.

I'm currently teaching in China so that I can semi-retire in Thailand until pension age. Silliness like this just makes me want to stay here until I can fully retire.

Get ready for Thailand to move towards a future without any foreign teachers. Apparently, that is what the government wants. I cannot just leave here, but if were unattached I'd move to Siberia right now.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:05 PM, MarcelV said:

Get ready for Thailand to move towards a future without any foreign teachers. Apparently, that is what the government wants. I cannot just leave here, but if were unattached I'd move to Siberia right now.

Its either that or they're getting rid of their old folks and gonna take in the new generation of NNES (or willing NES) with more qualifications and less pay. 

Edited by elijaveloper

3 hours ago, elijaveloper said:

Its either that or they're getting rid of their old folks and gonna take in the new generation of NNES (or willing NES) with more qualifications and less pay. 

Even Filipinos, Bhutanese and other low-wage NNES Asians need to sit the exams.

Yes, but they can still get 3 waivers, right?  So that means that there will be a constant turnover of new faces every 4 to 6 years.  The only losers are the foreigners who have Thai wives and kids and will have to either take them back to their home country or leave them behind.

Of course, if someone stayed in Thailand long enough to get married, they may find getting restarted back in Farangistan a bit difficult.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Even Filipinos, Bhutanese and other low-wage NNES Asians need to sit the exams.

Not unless they have their licenses from their home country. This year we're gonna take our own exam from the Ph and take it back here to Th, since there's no way I'm gonna wait for the TCT just to fail lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, Ti4go said:

2) If you completed your bachelors of education or teaching qualification (Masters of Education, PGCE, PGCEi, St Robert Diploma etc) before 2019, you can apply for a 5-year license without having to do the test.

Thank you for your post

Was there any clarification on how many waivers they'd allow while trying to pass this test?

i.e my main worry is failing the test a couple of times and then run out of waivers and am basically locked out of Thailand

Currently it seems like many are failing that test and it doesn't look good ????

• Like 1

2. Conditions for granting permission are as follows:

2.1 Educational institutions must request permission in specific cases. Foreigners must teach in educational institutions under the control of the head of educational institutions of said educational institutions in accordance with the conditions specified in their teaching permit.

2.2 No more than two years can be allowed in a single permission period and can be extended for a total period of not more than six years.

2.3 The person granted permission to teach is required to satisfy professional qualifications for a teaching license within a period of six years from the first permission of teaching permit.

2.4 If the person granted permission to teach violates professional ethics, does not adhere to the conditions specified, or does not satisfy the professional development standards, conditions and methods specified by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand, said person’s permission to teach shall be revoked.

https://www.ksp.or.th/ksp2018/download/2348/

• Like 1

@ThaiTeacher123

I didn't ask them about waivers. But the general rule is up to 3 waivers, i.e., 6 years. After 3 it seems to be at their discretion on a case-by-case basis. I've read cases here where Khurusapha granted teachers a 4th or 5th waiver due to teachers being in the middle of their qualification, teachers who finished their qualification and are waiting for the next test, or even teachers who failed the test. 

It's best to have an exit strategy in place if you're on your 3rd waiver since no one can really guarantee what will happen after that.

Edited by Ti4go
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, Ti4go said:

2) If you completed your bachelors of education or teaching qualification (Masters of Education, PGCE, PGCEi, St Robert Diploma etc) before 2019, you can apply for a 5-year license without having to do the test.

Hmm, kinda lost on this one (here in Rayong though). My wife has a bachelor's in education way before 2019 and our HR insisted that she takes KSP's (or back home) licensure test. Talking to our district KSP branch didnt do much as they weren't able to communicate with me at all. She's on her 4th waiver.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, Ti4go said:

@ThaiTeacher123

I didn't ask them about waivers. But the general rule is up to 3 waivers, i.e., 6 years. After 3 it seems to be at their discretion on a case-by-case basis. I've read cases here where Khurusapha granted teachers a 4th or 5th waiver due to teachers being in the middle of their qualification, teachers who finished their qualification and are waiting for the next test, or even teachers who failed the test. 

It's best to have an exit strategy in place if you're on your 3rd waiver since no one can really guarantee what will happen after that.

I am gonna be (hopefully) on my 4th waiver this year, I finished my certification/1-year course on top of my bachelor's (IT) just a few months in to 2020. Had I've known of this change coming up I would've done my studies wayyyy back. Oh well.

40 minutes ago, elijaveloper said:

Hmm, kinda lost on this one (here in Rayong though). My wife has a bachelor's in education way before 2019 and our HR insisted that she takes KSP's (or back home) licensure test. Talking to our district KSP branch didnt do much as they weren't able to communicate with me at all. She's on her 4th waiver.

I am gonna be (hopefully) on my 4th waiver this year, I finished my certification/1-year course on top of my bachelor's (IT) just a few months in to 2020. Had I've known of this change coming up I would've done my studies wayyyy back. Oh well.

Maybe have the school call Khurusapha's 'headquarters' here in Bangkok? Or just insist they apply anyway?

I triple checked with the man who answered my questions here Bangkok last Friday. Bachelor of Education before 2019 = no test.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I need to start studying asap else I can't teach anymore the Krusapa told me this week. So I'm just trying to make sure wherever I study is accredited by the Krusapa.

I've been digging for days trying to find a list of institutions the Krusapa will accept but found only two so far from this forum.

1. ST Teresa College - class doesn't start until June 2023.

2. SaintRobertsGroup - I emailed days ago but still no reply from them so I'm wondering if its even legit.

Can anyone recommend me where to study or how they managed to get the 5 year license?

Cheers for your time.

Adam