Legal Advice For Thai Friend

brokenmoose

My friend got an e-mail from her (British) husband, who is currently working on the other side of the world, stating that he never wants to return to Thailand ever again and wants to end their relationship. He left on this overseas contact some six days into the marriage, although they had been together in a somewhat turbulent relationship for two years( It wasn't uncommon of him to leave for up to a month at a time, then come back all apologetic) .

Anyway, she's decided this is the last time, and doesn't want him back this time. They got married at the amphur.

She needs these questions answered. Is the Amphur wedding legally recognized world wide? (I'm nearly sure it is)

What are his obligations as a husband? He's agreed to send a some money each month. If this stops (or he goes missing); is there any way to make him pay?

What is the process on getting a divorce when the foreign husband isn't present?

Cheers, Moose

Interesting.

very interesting.

What about the husband paying alimony if they get divorced?

After all, he is abandoning his wife.

Looking forward to the various boardmembers respond to this.

sailor

She should get the marriage annulled. Shouldn't need a divorce under the corcumstances I wouldn't think. What kind of monetary damages is your freind seeking? For what reason? She should count herself lucky to be rid of this guy. If he left anything behind, she may be able to sell it to recoup her salary for 6 days of marriage.

Edited by lannarebirth

I think an equitable split would be to share 50/50 the income generated over the whopping six days they were married before he took off.

Seriously six days married – does anyone think that future monthly payments are justified?

He appears to be quite the tosser for handling things in the way that he did but monthly payments for being married for SIX days?

She should not rush to divorce in Thailand until she has considered the possible benefits of divorciing in the UK.

If any of the marital wealth is in the UK she may file for divorce in the UK.

While UK divorce law does not recognize rights to alimoney, she might very well, depending on how long they have been married win a settlment that includes a share of their marital wealth in the UK.

If he/they have any combination of a house in the UK or savings/pensions then she it may be worth her persuing the divorce in the UK courts.

As a general rule she would be entitled to half of the marrital wealth if they have been married for a reasonable period, usually accepted as two years or more.

If they have any significant marital wealth in the UK then I am sure she would be able to find a UK lawyer willing to act for her on a % of settlement basis.

She can always send him an e-mail informing she is seeking legal advice regarding getting some of his wealth, if he has any.

I guess this will (hopefully) make him sweat a little bit, as he derserves it since just left and then e-mailed his wife.

Sailor

guest hous e, very informative.

6 days married!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comprehension 101.

Read the opening post again and you will find that the couple married and then after 6 days he took off, it does not say that they were married only for 6 days. They are presumably still married, hence the clock is still ticking.

Also, under UK law the period of the relationship prior to marriage may be considered in a divorce settlement.

Regardless, the question is, advice to the Thai woman.

I say she should not dismiss the benefits of persuing her rights in a UK court.

But as a general observation, this issue comes up so often there is surely a business oportunity here. Brokering legal services to Thais divorcing with foreigners.

I thought the marriage would have to be registered in the UK to be applicable under UK law. If so the question beckons whether it was?

You thought wrong.

The first ruling of any court action in the UK is to first determine if the court has jurisdiction. The court will almost always have juridiction in a divorce case if any part of the legal concerns of the marriage are resident within the court's geographic jurisdiction. So, if they couple have a house in the UK, savings in the UK or the husband has a pension in the UK then a UK court can rule on a their divorce.

This does not just aply in the UK legal system. You will recall Boris Becker had problems and indeed failed in his attempt to keep his divorce out of a US court.

Edited by GuestHouse

...after 6 days .....started to realise...wot?

Sounds as though he has gone back to his "real" wife in the UK...

Sorry... I have know a number of guys who have done that and all pretty miserable sods but.......of course no Thai Lady would ever dream of being so underhand...right..... :o

Dear all,

I am the woman of this scenario. My husband and I got married on 16th March this year, 6 days before he has to go to do his business in Latin America. We had been together for 2 years before that and decided to get married by paper before he left for an original contract of 6 weeks, which was then extended to 3 months. Now he wrote me an e-mail wanting to stay there and move back to England at some unknown time.

Even though, we stayed together as a married couple for 6 days, we have been married for 2 months now. My husband (British) has no assets in UK, in fact, he has credit cards debts.

The reason I posted this case on this forum is that I wish to learn about what to do in the circumstances. It's not just about the money, but I want to know what rights do I have. If he's not coming back to Thailand to sign the divorce paper, what are the options that I can do.

The difficult part is he's in Latin America at the moment, and it's hard to get anything legal done there as I understood.

I do understand you guys feel sorry for me to be involved with this guy. In our prior times together, he left me a few times without saying goodbye before and then came back again and again. It is also my fault to let the marriage happen and I totally understand that.

Thanks Guesthouse for your very detailed advise.

Thanks you all for useful opinions and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and facts.

Khob khun ka

Darya2

I don't know. Try to contact him again and ask if he will at least come back there for a divorce any time soon, if he says yes, just wait untill he says he will come back and make sure you take him to the amphur (unless you can't wait coz you want to marry another guy)

If he says no, go to your Amphur, or the one you got married at and speak to them. Explain the situation and ask what you can do to get out of it. If the amphur says he needs to be there, then you will need to contact his embassy and ask if there is another way you can get it done, if not, you will need to get legal advice, and it will start to cost $$$ or THB.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Dear all,

I am the woman of this scenario. My husband and I got married on 16th March this year, 6 days before he has to go to do his business in Latin America. We had been together for 2 years before that and decided to get married by paper before he left for an original contract of 6 weeks, which was then extended to 3 months. Now he wrote me an e-mail wanting to stay there and move back to England at some unknown time.

Even though, we stayed together as a married couple for 6 days, we have been married for 2 months now. My husband (British) has no assets in UK, in fact, he has credit cards debts.

The reason I posted this case on this forum is that I wish to learn about what to do in the circumstances. It's not just about the money, but I want to know what rights do I have. If he's not coming back to Thailand to sign the divorce paper, what are the options that I can do.

The difficult part is he's in Latin America at the moment, and it's hard to get anything legal done there as I understood.

I do understand you guys feel sorry for me to be involved with this guy. In our prior times together, he left me a few times without saying goodbye before and then came back again and again. It is also my fault to let the marriage happen and I totally understand that.

Thanks you all for useful opinions and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and facts.

Khob khun ka

Darya2

Hi there.

I do not want to be rude here, so Im very sorry if it seem rude when I ask if you are in fact Thai.

All the best

Sailor

Dear all,

Khob khun ka

Darya2

Hi there.

I do not want to be rude here, so Im very sorry if it seem rude when I ask if you are in fact Thai.

All the best

Sailor

That would be good to know, I assume you are Thai, but, your English is very good (as is the English of a lot of Thais) and given some posts in the last few weeks, the TROLL alarm is slowly begining to ring.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Dear all,

Khob khun ka

Darya2

Anyway Darya, get the marriage annulled, like it never happened. You don't want to be responsible for 1/2 of this guys debts do you? Stop thinking about how you can earn on this deal and just pull the plug.

Darya, I suggest you let this thread run the usual mundane course and let the sham of a marriage do the same, if indeed it is for real and not a troll. I'm never sure. Anyone have a take on this?

Dear all,

Khob khun ka

Darya2

Hi there.

All the best

Sailor

That would be good to know, I assume you are Thai, but, your English is very good (as is the English of a lot of Thais) and given some posts in the last few weeks, the TROLL alarm is slowly begining to ring.

เป็นคนไทยค่ะ สามีเป็นคนอังกฤษแต่งงานกันตั้งแต่วันที่ 16 มีนาคม ปีนี้ เค้าไปทำงานที่ฮอนดูรัสหลังแต่งงานกันและจะกลับมา ปลายเดือนมิถุนาค่ะ ตอนนี้เค้าไม่อยากกลับมาเมืองไทย ไม่ทราบเหตุผลค่ะ เพราะคุยกันลำบากมาก สื่อสารกันได้ทางอีเมล์บ้าง สไคป์บ้าง แต่ประเทศในละตินมีปัญหาเรื่องเน็ตเวิร์คกับโทรศัพท์มากๆ เลยค่ะ ไม่ได้เป็นเรื่องแต่งขึ้นมานะคะ ดิฉันต้องการคำปรึกษาจริงๆ และเพื่อนแนะนำให้เข้าฟอรัมนี้โดยที่เค้าช่วยเขียนซีนาริโอให้

ภาษาอังกฤษดีหรือคะ ขอบคุณค่ะ เคยเรียนอยู่ต่างประเทศตอนเด็กๆ ค่ะ ที่มาเลเซีย อเมริกา จบม.6 ที่รัสเซียค่ะ จบเอกภาษาอังกฤษที่ธรรมศาสตร์และเคยทำงานเป็นล่ามค่ะ

ขอบคุณค่ะ

For those who wonder

My friend brokenmoose introduced me to this forum because I need to know what to be done in my case legally. He also helped me with some of the English wording, although I spent my childhood studying in Malaysia, America and Russia. This is not a made up scenario, I really need to know my rights. I got married with my husband on 16th March 2007 and he left to work as I mentioned earlier. We are still married now but he sent me a break up e-mail.

I do not think that he will come back to Thailand to sign any papers. So, does it mean that I 'm stranded here being married to him and can't do anything about it?

Darya2

"Brokenmoose", who wrote the OP, states "Thai friend" in the title.

(Edit - Sorry; Darya's own reply came in before this.)

I see no reason to doubt the poster's sincerity.

Edited by WaiWai

Thanks for that. If you look at the IP addresses of me and Darya, you will see that the messages have been sent from the same computer. I sent the first post then decided that Darya ( who has been at our place all afternoon) should set up her own account at TV. Anyway if you look at my previous posts you will see that I haven't been involved in trolling at all. My friend came round for lunch and was asking my advice, so i decided to ask you lot. This is another example of how trolls ruin forums for genuine posters!!!! this is the second time I've asked this forum for advice on other peoples behalf's! Anyway I hope the whole Troll thing is forgotten, and I do understand there are allot of trolls out there wasting allot peoples time, and I might be questioned, but one last time. we are real people here and this guy has done the dirty on my friend. Anyway life goes on, at least she knows about the wholl annulled side of things, and most of you have been really helpful this afternoon.

thanks, Moose

Thanks for that. If you look at the IP addresses of me and Darya, you will see that the messages have been sent from the same computer. I sent the first post then decided that Darya ( who has been at our place all afternoon) should set up her own account at TV. Anyway if you look at my previous posts you will see that I haven't been involved in trolling at all. My friend came round for lunch and was asking my advice, so i decided to ask you lot. This is another example of how trolls ruin forums for genuine posters!!!! this is the second time I've asked this forum for advice on other peoples behalf's! Anyway I hope the whole Troll thing is forgotten, and I do understand there are allot of trolls out there wasting allot peoples time, and I might be questioned, but one last time. we are real people here and this guy has done the dirty on my friend. Anyway life goes on, at least she knows about the wholl annulled side of things, and most of you have been really helpful this afternoon.

thanks, Moose

you have an awesome translator

if it wasnt for the money why did you marry him. so others can learn.

lady seems responsible so i can insert joke here. thai ladies usually go for farang with money, why choose one with debts.

maybe she is troll, just kidding.

i thought marrying guys with debts was a usa girl thing. check out suze orman show, they have it here in bangkok on weekends.

Edited by blizzard

blizzard,

Anyone ever told you that you have the charm, tact & common sense of a mouldy peanut?

(Brokenmoose & especially) Darya, good luck. I really hope some of the posts here have helped. I'm sure some have. :D

Blizz, you de man! :o

Rain, please stop feeding him or do you actually want to be half of a bad double act?

Slight difference of opinion here, qwertz. We both seem to agree that Herr/Khun/Sir/Monsieur Blizzard is a little, fat, "mai suway" thing of Scandinavian origins who lives under a bridge. However, which of us is feeding him? Me? Or you & the countless others who boost his ego by telling him he's "de man"? Difficult one... My guess is, both. I reckon, like a naughty child, any attention he gets is good attention :D:o