Thailand suffers sharp fall in rankings of best countries for retirement

rooster59

58 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

You are, no doubt benefiting from being 'grandfathered' as far the financial requirements are concerned. That must make life a breeze as far as renewals go.

The previous age for retirement here was 55 years old. To be grandfathered, he would have to have been retired since 1996 (I think). That would make him 80 years old at a minimum.

Immigration used to want to see the 800k per annum drawn down to show that the money was being used for living expenses.

This all changed a few years back to the current situation of 800k in the bank for five months and 400k for seven months. I think that this happened because of the furor caused by foreigners, including retirees skipping out, or being unable to pay their hospital bills.

• Confused 8
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one who hasn't previously heard of Roatan? I now know it's a/an Honduras Island, but I'm still confused as to why it's listed as a separate country.  

Has it really been a year since their last survey was featured on these pages to garner similar responses? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

The previous age for retirement here was 55 years old. To be grandfathered, he would have to have been retired since 1996 (I think). That would make him 80 years old at a minimum.

Well he hasn't queried my reply and he has been living here for 35 years, so I think 'grandfathering' is quite likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Totally untrue on points 1 & 2.

agree to disagree.  Somethings in life are like death,  they are absolute, however, I'm sure we could beat that topic to death as well....it's ALL a matter of perspective.  Good luck to you mate!

Edited by mike787
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

This all changed a few years back to the current situation of 800k in the bank for five months and 400k for seven months.

Hang on a minute. Last November I got my first 1 year extension based on marriage with 400,000 baht in the bank. That amount had to be seasoned for 2 months before I could apply.

Are you saying that before I can renew this visa for another year this coming November,  I have to top up this sum to 400,000 7 months before the application date ?? In other words , before the end of March ??

And don’t forget the banks are dropping the guarantee coverage to 1 million baht as well and the land where married if you are a foreign man to a Thai woman then you are dumped on, but if a foreign woman marries a Thai man then her citizenship is easily granted. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Denim said:

Hang on a minute. Last November I got my first 1 year extension based on marriage with 400,000 baht in the bank. That amount had to be seasoned for 2 months before I could apply.

Are you saying that before I can renew this visa for another year this coming November,  I have to top up this sum to 400,000 7 months before the application date ?? In other words , before the end of March ??

No, you're getting married and retirement extensions confused. For marriage it is still 400k for 2 months prior to application.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Am I the only one who hasn't previously heard of Roatan? I now know it's a/an Honduras Island, but I'm still confused as to why it's listed as a separate country.  

Has it really been a year since their last survey was featured on these pages to garner similar responses? 

I thought it was part of Wales.

4 hours ago, Ventenio said:

roads are safe for the family

air is clean

products never break

houses built well

water drinkable

farangs nice

girls really love you

easy to settle down

embraced by the locals

money isn't everything