Thailand suffers sharp fall in rankings of best countries for retirement

rooster59

On 3/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, colinneil said:

No need to wonder why Thailand has fallen in the rankings, just look at the clowns supposedly running the place, like Anutin, his comments about dirty farangs are sure to help.

Last few years there has been a surge in anti farang comments/ actions, anybody now thinking of somewhere to retire will not even consider here.

A rise in xenophobia is understandable with the presence of Covid. As the Covid threat dissipates, so will much of the prejudice. Inflammatory comments by "leaders" are usually taken for what they are. Your statements and assumptions are too broad to be accurate - and I can attest that there are still plenty of Americans who consider Thailand a good prospect. I haven't run into anyone whose sentiments have changed for any reason other than the risk of travel with Covid. And, in fact, since Thailand is much safer than the US, for that reason alone Thailand is a much more attractive prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

Portugal is working great for myself and the Thai wife.

We still miss Thailand but Portugal puts it to shame in many areas and we feel very welcome here

Where are you from originally? 

quote - "the best countries for expat retirees"

From the chart it can be seen Cambodia is 6 places ABOVE Thailand and Vietnam 8 places - not so amazing Thailand!!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, connda said:

Well, no surprise there.  During my recent renewal (based on marriage but I am retired) the IO stared at my bank book for close to 4 minutes looking intensely at the 20 entries from March 2020 to March 2021 which I'd clearly marked and highlighted.

"How can I find a way to kick you out farang.  How?" 

Hey.  Any retirees looking for a place to live.  Check out the graphic which I'll archive myself.

Hey!  Thailand!!!  8th from the bottom of the list!!! Congratulations.  Keep the hate of all things foreigner up and perhaps you can drop to the bottom, then invert the chart, and claim you're Number 1.  Like Number 1 in Road Deaths, and Number 1 in Air Quality.   Number 1 in place retirees avoid like the plague.

Should have married an Latian Mexican.

2021-Retirement-index-by-the-numbers.jpg.ae72ba807f3edc89b0bc742dd51ff5de.jpg.d3e9b8b428759841d4990215c5d1f970.jpg

When he asked how he could kick you out, did he do it with the voice of a Bond villain?

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Just like Singapore and Malaysia, then?

Race and Gender equality is the thing going around the world. Also I do not have any yearning to live in Malaysia, especially not Singapore as am not married to one and no desire to get divorced and then marry one. Now Vietnam women in my eyes are extremely hot and if anything ever happened to my situation here because of immigration or relations with my wife, I would definitely consider it. US people can stay for a year on a visa unless that changed, but then I also know people who can get me a 5 yr. done a lot of business there and palm greasing always opens doors. FDIC or Deposit coverage is 2 - 2.5 million baht per account in those 2 countries. Now Vietnam not sure but they do have many different banks to spread cash out in, but the problem with VN is once you get money in it is hard to send it back out. But the thing is they are all 3 easier to do PR when married and stayed there long time opposed to here. Here is just a Cluster - <deleted> of BS xenophobia . 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Race and Gender equality is the thing going around the world. Also I do not have any yearning to live in Malaysia, especially not Singapore as am not married to one and no desire to get divorced and then marry one. Now Vietnam women in my eyes are extremely hot and if anything ever happened to my situation here because of immigration or relations with my wife, I would definitely consider it. US people can stay for a year on a visa unless that changed, but then I also know people who can get me a 5 yr. done a lot of business there and palm greasing always opens doors. FDIC or Deposit coverage is 2 - 2.5 million baht per account in those 2 countries. Now Vietnam not sure but they do have many different banks to spread cash out in, but the problem with VN is once you get money in it is hard to send it back out. But the thing is they are all 3 easier to do PR when married and stayed there long time opposed to here. Here is just a Cluster - <deleted> of BS xenophobia . 

My point was that Thailand is not alone doing this and even a sophisticated place like Singapore does it. Whether you want, or don't want to live in these places is beside the point.

37 minutes ago, Toscano said:

Truth to tell , Thailand verbally invites foreigner for retirement , thinking only of the money they will bring into the country .

Once you arrive you are soon given the feeling that you are not welcome at all , despite the huge amount of money Farangs bring in every month . The retirement visa is less trouble with a secure deposit of Bt800,000 in the bank . Men on a marriage visa may in some areas may be given a hard time at immigration every year , with the introduction of new previously unheard of documents . If Thailand really wants to welcome foreign retirees , they should cut the <deleted> and make life easy . I left Britain in 1998 and went to live in Italy where I have many friends . After 3 months one has to register with immigration , all being well one is given provisional residency for 5 years when one must apply again . Everything OK one is then given residency in perpetuity , why couldn't Thailand do the same . 

Yet, you still chose Thailand over Italy. Why?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

My point was that Thailand is not alone doing this and even a sophisticated place like Singapore does it. Whether you want, or don't want to live in these places is beside the point.

Some similar things but not really as well. My point is those 2 other countries are easier and throw in VN as well. A lot of retiree are married here and that is part of the give me the other 3 countries make it easier for you as easier to have longer stay as in PR if a connection to a family. Now just retiring with no connection and getting PR it looks easier as long as you have money and stayed there for some time. The fact is that here is not open arms unless you are a woman married to a Thai man, and then essentially this is considered like a Thai man's ownership.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, rooster59 said:

But one of its lowest scores was in the Visas/Residence category where it scored just 57. The Index cited difficulties for retiree expats in Thailand obtaining permanent residency and a lack of  special residence options for retirees.

It also scored poorly in the Opportunity category (56) which examined how easy it is for expat retirees to set up a business in a country or whether there are options for retirees to supplement their income with freelance or online work - which in Thailand there is not.

I don't believe this for one minute ????

That comment was brought to you buy the highest ranking in Thailand.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

In early 2020 Vietnam announced no more 1 year Tourist Visas.

Hopefully they will return to offering those when Vietnam opens again to foreign tourists.

No Retirement Visa offerings.

"I also know people who can get me a 5 yr. done a lot of business there and palm greasing always opens doors."

In early 2020 they were busting foreigners who were setting up paper businesses to get a long term business visa.

I heard a prominent Visa agent telling a client that she had a client who had the Police show up and arrest him. 

Some get blacklisted from entry.

"...the problem with VN is once you get money in it is hard to send it back out."

Correct.

High interest though.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, gearbox said:

Useless ranking by useless rag. Cambodia scores almost as high as France in health, and Portugal scores 30 points higher for climate than Italy, although they are quite close and at the same latitude. And where is the crime score?

How many Aussies retired in Mexico? Probably less than five.

Absolutely agree, completely useless

‘’Informed by hundreds of opinions and real-life experiences—information—compiled by our trusted sources in the best retirement destinations across the globe”.

So based on only hundreds of opinions covering 25 countries, yeah, that is a very solid base for a ranking! 

Edited by damascase
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Worse than a useless rag. It seems very few people are aware that this company has been pumping their real estate developments in Costa Rica for a couple of decades. Then they added Panama and other countries. That's why CR always comes out on top followed by Panama. Look at some expat sites for these countries and you'll get very different viewpoints.

Looks like they are no longer into developments themselves but still make money off these listings:  https://internationalliving.com/listings/. Note the countries and where they are on the list.

Hmmm, just an observation. They could not very well advertise for Thailand sales since we are forbidden to own land?!

6 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

In early 2020 Vietnam announced no more 1 year Tourist Visas.

Hopefully they will return to offering those when Vietnam opens again to foreign tourists.

No Retirement Visa offerings.

"I also know people who can get me a 5 yr. done a lot of business there and palm greasing always opens doors."

In early 2020 they were busting foreigners who were setting up paper businesses to get a long term business visa.

I heard a prominent Visa agent telling a client that she had a client who had the Police show up and arrest him. 

Some get blacklisted from entry.

"...the problem with VN is once you get money in it is hard to send it back out."

Correct.

High interest though.

Actually for VN still doable. As long as you have a letter of invite from a VN friend with a company should be fine. Also these agencies if you know them can get you set up. USA folk are still doing ok. I read all of what you mentioned in the news following VN immigration, but actually as I do have business co0nductred there it is not a problem to go, meet and to stay long time. USA still has 6 mos tourist visa which is easily extended. Actually my really good friends will be opening their brand new factory in 2 more mos. Was just on the phone the other day with them. All in all I don't have any ambition on moving out of CM from my family. But what ever all the countries do I can always find a way to survive in one of them. 

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

Indeed!   Most are far improved.

That all depends on your personal preferences. I guess most Thais would think their country vastly improved as compared to 20 years ago. I even think many expats (those that are here for work) would think so. 

Of course, that doesn’t mean that there are things that one thinks could be improved; and, of course, that also doesn’t mean that there aren’t people who think differently. 

Thailand is no longer a great place it once was, so people should need to just keep a heads up and understand that it might not get any better and start thinking about alternatives, maybe rent hotels in neighbouring countries and test the water out, see how it is???  

Edited by Jaycomet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Boo hoo all these expats pretending they would be out in a heartbeat if not for the pet parrot a cat, a Buffalo, a bar girl, a wife, a lady boy blah blah, what nonsense the reality is most of you would last 5 minutes in the west and you know it. 

Vietnam and Cambodia? Same same but different! 

That's true - people who moan about Thailand moan when they leave and go somewhere else.