I just got offered a teaching job for 30k baht a month salary.

jack71

On 5/25/2021 at 8:25 PM, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes 40 K is what you have to make for the immigratie for your extension but the same immigration will only consider your request for residence when you make 80 K + minimum

A married guy can apply for thai citizenship after having a WP / income of thb40k. Its recommended to be slightly above that. ie pay taxes for greater than 3 yrs above that level

4 hours ago, jack71 said:

A married guy can apply for thai citizenship after having a WP / income of thb40k. Its recommended to be slightly above that. ie pay taxes for greater than 3 yrs above that level

Only living here for 29 years, married for 28, Business WP etc etc, that's what I got as an answer after asking for 17 years and the years after.  Ask others, you will get the same answer so where did you get your residentship not in CNX I guess? You must be aware that each immigration office and each officer has the freedom to a different interpretation of the same law. If you got it, good for you if not, what are you talking about. Have a nice day.

• Sad 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:35 AM, Airalee said:

On 3/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, Airalee said:

That’s what I suspected.  I find it interesting that we hear so much over the last year of people in just about every industry taking pay cuts, 401k and investment accounts taking dives, condo rentals at 30-50% off, discounts galore at restaurants, hotels etc but for some reason many think that it doesn’t apply to teachers.

Furthermore...when you say that there is no lack of applicants, I believe that this is one of those things that has kept teaching wages depressed here in Thailand for eons.  Everybody seems to want to teach *here*.  From my understanding, one can go teach in the Middle East and make many multiples of what they would make here.  If it’s just about the money, then why aren’t they rushing off to Saudi Arabia or Dubai?

I'm living proof of that. Currently earning 215k Thai baht a month at today's exchange rate in Saudi. I left because I was never making enough in Thailand to provide for my future. Different people have different priorities at different stages in their lives. I think for many Thailand based teachers, the Middle East has little attraction, due to real or perceived issues regarding availability of booze and women. Plenty of both though if you know where to look.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:13 PM, EricTh said:

Is the cost of living in Arab countries higher than Thailand?

Good question. After 9 years in Saudi I would say that food costs are broadly similar. They used to be cheaper in Saudi. Gas is now about half the price it is in Thailand, it used to be 4 baht a litre! Housing costs are probably more in Saudi for somewhere decent off compound. You could go cheap but you really don't want to do that unless you enjoy living in Pakistan. I have never worked in Saudi where housing was not provided, as in I went from the airport to an apartment or house that was mine to use. Clothes used to be cheaper in Saudi, my wife now tells me that they're pretty much the same. VAT at 15% was introduced a while back which was a big leveler, although there's still no tax on income.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Consumer Prices in Riyadh are 1.09% lower than in Bangkok (without rent)

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Riyadh are 13.99% lower than in Bangkok

Rent Prices in Riyadh are 43.50% lower than in Bangkok

Restaurant Prices in Riyadh are 50.84% higher than in Bangkok

Groceries Prices in Riyadh are 18.82% lower than in Bangkok

Local Purchasing Power in Riyadh is 178.34% higher than in Bangkok

Congratulations on being able to use Google. 

Having lived in both Riyadh and Bangkok, I do wonder where the information for those rental amounts came from. As I said above, you can go cheap in Riyadh, but you don't want to. Dubai it ain't.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, Airalee said:

Probably is, but I really have no idea.  I think it’s the lack of cheap booze and women that make them less desirable than Thailand.

Just have to know where to look. Funnily enough nights out on compounds were often very cheap because it's more BYO bottle round the BBQ or pool, then rooftop bars. Filipino would be the way forward for those with the yellow fever. 

On 3/18/2021 at 4:11 PM, Airalee said:

There has always been a lack of suitable western teachers here which is shown by the proficiency levels.  Probably the same <deleted>ty teachers in Saudi Arabia seeing that their proficiency level is so low too.  But the pay is much better.  So, maybe instead of complaining about the low pay in Thailand, the teachers should move to Saudi Arabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

“Teachers in Saudi Arabia will often make anywhere between $2,600 - $4,000 USD per month.”

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/teaching-english-in-saudi-arabia-salary

Those numbers would be bottom feeder type jobs mostly, like a 30-35k job in Thailand. 

The real money would be in O+G and military type gigs. 6-8k usdpm would be standard, and a real top earner, and hardly any would make it that far, would be on 10k a month. That would likely be after quite a few years served though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I'm living proof of that. Currently earning 215k Thai baht a month at today's exchange rate in Saudi. I left because I was never making enough in Thailand to provide for my future. Different people have different priorities at different stages in their lives. I think for many Thailand based teachers, the Middle East has little attraction, due to real or perceived issues regarding availability of booze and women. Plenty of both though if you know where to look.

Good question. After 9 years in Saudi I would say that food costs are broadly similar. They used to be cheaper in Saudi. Gas is now about half the price it is in Thailand, it used to be 4 baht a litre! Housing costs are probably more in Saudi for somewhere decent off compound. You could go cheap but you really don't want to do that unless you enjoy living in Pakistan. I have never worked in Saudi where housing was not provided, as in I went from the airport to an apartment or house that was mine to use. Clothes used to be cheaper in Saudi, my wife now tells me that they're pretty much the same. VAT at 15% was introduced a while back which was a big leveler, although there's still no tax on income.

Having lived in both Riyadh and Bangkok, I do wonder where the information for those rental amounts came from. As I said above, you can go cheap in Riyadh, but you don't want to. Dubai it ain't.

Just have to know where to look. Funnily enough nights out on compounds were often very cheap because it's more BYO bottle round the BBQ or pool, then rooftop bars. Filipino would be the way forward for those with the yellow fever. 

Those numbers would be bottom feeder type jobs mostly, like a 30-35k job in Thailand. 

The real money would be in O+G and military type gigs. 6-8k usdpm would be standard, and a real top earner, and hardly any would make it that far, would be on 10k a month. That would likely be after quite a few years served though. 

I miss the SID income.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, SomchaiCNX said:

Only living here for 29 years, married for 28, Business WP etc etc, that's what I got as an answer after asking for 17 years and the years after.  Ask others, you will get the same answer so where did you get your residentship not in CNX I guess? You must be aware that each immigration office and each officer has the freedom to a different interpretation of the same law. If you got it, good for you if not, what are you talking about. Have a nice day.

I think you are misguided on the thai citizenship topic. From what I've read there are rules for applying and they are the same across thailand. Theres a pinned topic on this issue and many farang get ctizenship based on marriage. Non married guys have to get PR first which is harder but then they go for citizenship

Just now, jack71 said:

I think you are misguided on the thai citizenship topic. From what I've read there are rules for applying and they are the same across thailand. Theres a pinned topic on this issue and many farang get ctizenship based on marriage. Non married guys have to get PR first which is harder but then they go for citizenship

In order to get citizenship you need PR first. Just tell you what I have been told in CNX asking each year until I gave up.

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

In order to get citizenship you need PR first. Just tell you what I have been told in CNX asking each year until I gave up.

you 100% have no idea. If you are married to a thai lady and you have a WP / paying taxes for income greater than 40k a year you can go straight for citizenship (bypass) PR. Google it or ask on this forum

10 hours ago, jack71 said:

you 100% have no idea. If you are married to a thai lady and you have a WP / paying taxes for income greater than 40k a year you can go straight for citizenship (bypass) PR. Google it or ask on this forum

Thank you for the information, you should take a job at the Thai immigration.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jack71 said:

And for your information, I never intend to ask for Thai citizenship, not interested at all. I asked them for for PR.  I started asking around 1999 or 2000 and stopped a couple years later. Maybe things have changed.  I only trust Ubon Joe on things like this. When I married my wife could not own a house anymore, that law has changed as well even could not have a mobile phone in my name let alone a car, yes many things have changed. 

58 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

And for your information, I never intend to ask for Thai citizenship, not interested at all. I asked them for for PR.  I started asking around 1999 or 2000 and stopped a couple years later. Maybe things have changed.  I only trust Ubon Joe on things like this. When I married my wife could not own a house anymore, that law has changed as well even could not have a mobile phone in my name let alone a car, yes many things have changed. 

So you've not asked about it in 19 years .....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

No, 16, years, 6 months and 5 days ???? . 

No serieus, if I remember well, I asked the last time before they moved to Promenada, a couple years ago.

At the old immigration office they used to have these blue boards with information and announcements. I think that citizenship was even not mentioned on them. 

Edited by SomchaiCNX

• 2 months later...

Be sure to check my previous posts! Revisiting this thread after a while. Again, 30k for putting up with the bored, dry, and pettiness. No thanks. Some of these schools simply can't improve. Anyway..

I tend to focus more on the following:

They have good food or food nearby?

Is it easy?

At least 40k?

In and out is fine?

Filled with Filipinos & Africans? (Not that there is anything wrong with that) Collectivism.

If I'm the sort of teacher that you dislike. Well, grow up.

I wonder* at falangs working for less than 40k and having to be there all day. Unless you're retired! Then your cool! (hopefully)

Besides that, the others get to stay at the schools they do for a reason! ????????

Stay Cool!

Edited by Solinvictus

On 5/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, bermondburi said:

Due to baht depreciation and a payrise, salary now at 235k a month. 

Yep, don't miss the Thai school.

Just tell em you'll take it but as a certified experienced teacher you ask for 40. If they say no you can still find another quite easily since there's a shortage everywhere.

But I don't know why everybody judges the 30 grand. That's about what most of them have as an income per month. That's why they live in Thailand.