I just got offered a teaching job for 30k baht a month salary.

jack71

Somebody said ask how many hours of teaching expected. We are not talking here about a P/T job paid by the hour, but presumably a tenured full-time job with a certain number of contact hours same as other equivalent staff. Given that classes need to be prepared, stick that into one's calculations. Once one has the necessary qualifications your first job is to respect yourself. 30K is not a starting point.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

Do they take retirees for teaching ?  Non-O Visa holders not allowed to work but its boring being completely retired after a busy professional life in the Health Service sector.  Some minimal teaching experience and good  qualifications but not for teaching.  I already have some English teaching notes.  Anyone thanks.

4 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Do they take retirees for teaching ?  Non-O Visa holders not allowed to work but its boring being completely retired after a busy professional life in the Health Service sector.  Some minimal teaching experience and good  qualifications but not for teaching.  I already have some English teaching notes.  Anyone thanks.

It's not difficult to change your visa status.

7 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Assuming that you are Non-O based on retirement. If you have a bachelor degree and a Thai marriage partner then change to a non-O based on marriage, than at least you work legally.

30k is the going rate for government school.

But you mention this is for an EP program, which is a sickening salary offer.

Parents will be paying a lot more for their children to be on this program instead of the standard government one.

Using covid as an excuse too. Not surprising, they are just trying to scrape every satang they can, so will end up being left with non-native Africans most likely, which they are happy to accept due to the wage.

Parents of course won’t be happy, but because ‘covid they cannot find native at the moment’.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

30k !!! Just had to do a double take to check that this thread isn’t from 2005 !!

The THB was a lot weaker back then.

I would not be surprised to see that 30K now is worth something like 45K in 2005.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, Aomelia said:

Colored I haven’t heard that for 50 years in Southern USA last I heard 

You have obviously never met anyone from South Africa's Coloured community. 

Coloured is what they are and what they are proud of being. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 3:32 PM, jack71 said:

I would like to earn above 40k a month to satisfy the requirements for permanent residency. 

Me thinks the permanent residency requirement minimum is 50 000bht. 

And.... fyi the gvt gives 40 000bht a month to the schools to hire foreigners. My source is a MOE employee friend of mine and this was the going rate 18 years ago... it was speculated that the HOD's pocket or use the 10 000bht to their own devise. This is why some MEP's can offer 45 000 a month... they will tell you they charge the parents...

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:

?

They are mainly in the Cape Province and are mostly (as I understand) descendents of Malay slaves. They speak Afrikaans, whereas the Black majority speak a tribal language, Zulu or Xhosa etc. 

Coloureds are fiercely proud of being Coloured. 

4 hours ago, rott said:

They are mainly in the Cape Province and are mostly (as I understand) descendents of Malay slaves. They speak Afrikaans, whereas the Black majority speak a tribal language, Zulu or Xhosa etc. 

Coloureds are fiercely proud of being Coloured. 

"Coloureds", is a wholly non-pejorative term in South Africa, and refers to the large community of mixed-race persons in the country. Some, probably the minority, are Cape Malay.

You are absolutely correct when you mention their pride in being Coloured.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, Postmaster said:

Although you may see it as a constructive use of your free time, the schools generally don't, they apply the same pressure, they will take advantage and demand more and more as the years advance. There used to be gigs where they would ask you to turn up for your lessons, but over the years these got less and less, the "new" head of English or Director would like to see his moneys worth sitting at a desk, even if you were facedown asleep. Thats not to say, during my free periods when I had nothing on the go, I didn't mind sitting around chatting with mathayom kids during their free periods or helping the PE teacher, but I never really earned any respect from the management  for that.

Have you considered China? not going there, but there are plenty of phone apps that you can use, a little like uber for English teachers, you can set your own rate and schedule to suit - I used to make 60K+ working at it for my full time job - there are lots of different types of students, you get businessmen who will practice English in their cars on the way to work, university students preparing for IELTS exams, housewives during the day. As you get to know them, they become your friends and they will book a daily or weekly lesson, it helps if you share an interest and build a rapport. Working in a government school is slightly soul crushing, repeating the same basic grammar year after year, teaching Chinese students can be quite refreshing (at first).

On 3/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, Aomelia said:

Colored I haven’t heard that for 50 years in Southern USA last I heard 

Yet a "person of color" seems acceptable, even politically correct, while "colored" is racist.  Strange language, English.

How can people even survive on 30,000 baht a month?

US $6.25 an hour for a 40 hour work week?

And think about doing that the rest of their lives or 20+ years?

Would the same folks work for 30,000 a month in their own countries?

The US is trying to raise minimum wage to $15/hour. (72,000 baht a month)

How the heck can you ever save enough to retire with peace of mind?

12 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Me thinks the permanent residency requirement minimum is 50 000bht. 

And.... fyi the gvt gives 40 000bht a month to the schools to hire foreigners. My source is a MOE employee friend of mine and this was the going rate 18 years ago... it was speculated that the HOD's pocket or use the 10 000bht to their own devise. This is why some MEP's can offer 45 000 a month... they will tell you they charge the parents...

That old chestnut again.

Your MOE "friend" was talking out of his %$*".

• Confused 1

On 3/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Too many posts on here scoffing at the salary without considering other issues.

How many hours teaching? How many extra activities ,if any? Hours required to be on site? Accommodation? Free lunches? Work permit paid? Holidays paid? Is the job a good one? Are the teachers friendly? 

There are a plethora of things to be considered.

One teaching job that I had was a decent wage. The salary was paid 13 times a year as new year bonus was 1 month full salary. A full month of holiday paid in October and almost 2 months full pay in summer. No need to go to school and clock in. Teachers were good, nice and friendly, extra activities were not required much, free school lunch ( decent food too). Work permit and visa paper work all done and all fees paid. It was a great job and good money.

Then the head of English changed. She was a pain in the %$&*. Mayhem and all sorts of things being thrown on my desk as extra work. More to do as she didn't want to do it. I left at the end of that term. I took a job for less money per month, only 10 months pay a year but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There is more to a job than the money. Job satisfaction is far higher up the list, in my opinion.

First thing I learned in school was money pays the bills and buys things.

Job satisfaction doesn't buy anything.

When you work for peanuts your whole life, when you get to retirement age you are screwed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

First thing I learned in school was money pays the bills and buys things.

Job satisfaction doesn't buy anything.

When you work for peanuts your whole life, when you get to retirement age you are screwed.

When you don't have job satisfaction, spend time working jobs that p*** you off and generally have a miserable time, the chances are you won't make retirement.

One man's peanuts is another man's decent salary. Life is what you make it. Happiness is wealth in itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30,000 Baht is a pretty usual starting salary for a government school, but there is usually a housing allowance (maybe 3,000 Baht above this).

This assumes you are a native English speaker (from a western country), white, have a 4 year degree and are under 60.

If you meet the above criteria, and are also an experienced and qualified teacher, then they will probably go for a 35,000 Baht salary.

If the position is in the English Program, then 40,000 Baht would be a reasonable opening salary.

If you are not white (e.g. are American, English, Australian etc, but look Asian), take 30% off the salaries. If you are from the Philippines, take off 50%.

I am familiar with the scale of payments for secondary schools. I'm not sure about primary schools (which I would of thought would be less).

Sure, you can work your way into higher salaried positions over the years, but you need to start somewhere, get experience with the Thai syllabus / expectations and make contacts. Most of your future jobs will come 'word of mouth'.

A few off-topic posts and replies have been removed.  I think it is a little out of bounds to discuss color.   I do know that I worked with two South African mixed race people and they described themselves as 'colored'.   They also said that, unlike the US, it is not considered pejorative in SA.

Let's get back on the topic.

9 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

When you don't have job satisfaction, spend time working jobs that p*** you off and generally have a miserable time, the chances are you won't make retirement.

One man's peanuts is another man's decent salary. Life is what you make it. Happiness is wealth in itself.

Tell that to yourself when you get to retirement age and you have no money in the bank.

duplicate

Edited by bwpage3

PS look how many retired people there are in Thailand with retirement PENSIONS.

I bet not all 100% spent their life in a happy job?

Now if you want to gamble away old age with nothing to live on, good luck.

If you are SO HAPPY working as a teacher for 30,000 baht a month, Imagine with all that happiness, you live to be 90 years old?

Where is your retirement coming from and how long will it last?