Wall fans.

DrJack54

Recommend Panasonic, I have had 3 for 20 odd years, they just

go on , BUT you must maintain them,important to oil the bearings

with Singer oil, have had some Hatari floor fans and they are <deleted>,

One ,the fan just snapped off,only 6 months old.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

@bankruatsteve got something positive to suggest? Thought not. 

Ceiling fans. ????

Edit:  I laughed at your remote issue bc I had similar with TrueV. A box in bedroom and another just outside in the living area. When my wife outside changed channel it would also change in the BR. I found she was using a sweeping motion. I told her to just point at the box and push all the buttons she wants. Problem solved.  ????

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Ceiling fans. ????

More rubbish! The thread is wall fans. Personally don't like ceiling fans and not the best fit for this dwelling. Move onto another thread and be a distraction there.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

More rubbish! The thread is wall fans. Personally don't like ceiling fans and not the best fit for this dwelling. Move onto another thread and be a distraction there.

Don't know why the hostility? See my edit above. I didn't comment until you asked. Cheers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

with Singer oil, have had some Hatari floor fans and they are <deleted>,

And I have had Hatari floor fans still running perfect after several years and no I would never use oil. When they die I will just buy another. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, Moonlover said:

Agree with the size but not the make. We found that Hatara have a short life, especially if you use swing a lot. The cheap plastic parts that create the oscillation wear out quickly.

We've recently replaced them with 18 inch Mitsubishi. Much more powerful and quieter.

We have four Hatari wall-mounted 16" oscillating fans that I installed new about fourteen years ago. Two on the patio and one each in the kitchen and what was going to be a breakfast nook but now is the laundry/store room. They are all still working but I had to replace the pull strings on the patio ones after they disintegrated after about five years. The kitchen one only gets used when the farang is cooking and the fourth one is redundant unless I burn something and need to clear the air!

I also had to replace the housing on the outermost patio fan that disintegrated after exposure to the elements. Although that model is obsolete, parts were available at Amorn and more recently, easily found on lazada. Ideally the patio ones could be larger but since the patio is narrow, I think the greater air movement won't be where it's needed.

We've also have half a dozen Hatari pedestal fans. Three of them had been retired while we had been living elsewhere because they were 'broken'. I fired them up and they were all low-speed so I replaced the capacitors on them, about 85 baht each from Amorn, and they're all good again... hence we have so many now.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

We have four Hatari wall-mounted 16" oscillating fans that I installed new about fourteen years ago. Two on the patio and one each in the kitchen and what was going to be a breakfast nook but now is the laundry/store room. They are all still working but I had to replace the pull strings on the patio ones after they disintegrated after about five years. The kitchen one only gets used when the farang is cooking and the fourth one is redundant unless I burn something and need to clear the air!

I also had to replace the housing on the outermost patio fan that disintegrated after exposure to the elements. Although that model is obsolete, parts were available at Amorn and more recently, easily found on lazada. Ideally the patio ones could be larger but since the patio is narrow, I think the greater air movement won't be where it's needed.

We've also have half a dozen Hatari pedestal fans. Three of them had been retired while we had been living elsewhere because they were 'broken'. I fired them up and they were all low-speed so I replaced the capacitors on them, about 85 baht each from Amorn, and they're all good again... hence we have so many now.

I admire your pluck and determination in keeping your older fans going. Amorn is one store I really miss. We lived just a 5 minute walk from one back in Udon Thani. They are a great store from I bought a lot of useful stuff. That one is still, to my knowledge, our nearest one but it's 150kms away now!

On our earlier fans, the first items  that wore out where the plastic ratchet and pinions that drove the oscillation. I did get those parts from Amorn. I didn't know about the capacitor. I'll keep that it mind if our current batch start to slow down. Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I admire your pluck and determination in keeping your older fans going. Amorn is one store I really miss. We lived just a 5 minute walk from one back in Udon Thani. They are a great store from I bought a lot of useful stuff. That one is still, to my knowledge, our nearest one but it's 150kms away now!

On our earlier fans, the first items  that wore out where the plastic ratchet and pinions that drove the oscillation. I did get those parts from Amorn. I didn't know about the capacitor. I'll keep that it mind if our current batch start to slow down. Thanks for the tips.

It's not so much pluck and determination as being Scottish.

You can get the capacitors, fan blades, motors and the swing gearboxes on lazada.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And I have had Hatari floor fans still running perfect after several years and no I would never use oil. When they die I will just buy another. 

The throw away society....????

regards worgeordie

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The throw away society....????

And that's a throw away line. The 18" fans where 1600baht each. If it floats your boat to go and buy parts etc and feel good about a repair thats great. I just ring my "jack of all trades thai guy" come and replace it and give him the old boy.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And that's a throw away line. The 18" fans where 1600baht each. If it floats your boat to go and buy parts etc and feel good about a repair thats great. I just ring my "jack of all trades thai guy" come and replace it and give him the old boy.

So you never dismantle and clean them over the years ?

no matter how clean your house,they culminate dust and fluff,

and it's a simple matter to put a few drops of oil on the bearings,

while cleaning the fan.....but it's up to you , it's not repair it's Maintenance.

regards Worgeordie

On 3/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for your post. As I type this post the electrician is in the process of installing 8 of the remote Hatari fans as per your pic. So to the issue. There are 2 in the living meals area. Of course each came with a remote, the issue is (same as air con) the remote is operating both. Turn one off they both close.

Any suggestions from anyone? 

Sorry to hear about your slight problem of both fans reacting to one controller.  As I only have one fan per room I was unaware of this problem.

I've just tried  pointing my controller at the ceiling and in the opposite direction to the fan an it's possible to get the fan to switch on/off/speed control etc.  It appears that the controller is infrared and the signal beam bounces off light colour surfaces back to the fan sensor.  Not sure how you can resolve the issue.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

@007 RED thanks for your suggestion re having the fans plug into GPO instead of hard wired. Can take down in 10seconds.IMG_20210319_175222.thumb.jpg.50d43c4bf0cde662c95fe8aeb082d634.jpg

No problem... that's what the forum is for, to help one another.

I find the high wall mounted power supply socket enables me to remove/replace the fan for cleaning very easily/quickly which I need to do about every couple of months because we live in an area that is susceptible to a lot of dust produced by a nearby coffee factory when they roast the coffee and the wind is in our direction.  The fan seems to attract the dust like a magnet.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for your post. As I type this post the electrician is in the process of installing 8 of the remote Hatari fans as per your pic. So to the issue. There are 2 in the living meals area. Of course each came with a remote, the issue is (same as air con) the remote is operating both. Turn one off they both close.

Any suggestions from anyone? 

Use the touch pad at the bottom of the fan to control it (that is all we ever use on our wall unit).  I have remote floor types in same room and as long as different direction no problem using remote.  Expect you could fashion a shield for one of the wall fans if must use remote.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Use the touch pad at the bottom of the fan to control it (that is all we ever use on our wall unit).  I have remote floor types in same room and as long as different direction no problem using remote.  Expect you could fashion a shield for one of the wall fans if must use remote.  

As Daffy D pointed out putting  your hand close to the remote to shield one fan works fine. 

Interesting and timely post for me as I am about to buy 3 fans.

One difference for me is I plan to put one outside in my front porch, which unless there is a severe rainstorm, should not be affected by water.

However are these wall fans suitable for outside use or are there specific ones for that?

Thanks

55 minutes ago, Saltire said:

However are these wall fans suitable for outside use or are there specific ones for that?

I have 2 Hatari fans on the outside. One above the front porch directed at a table and chairs and the other at the back over my workbench.

Both are obviously under cover and above the "roof" line so even if the rain blows horizontally they don't get wet. 

Given the hindsight I would have have used bigger fans, say 18in, as being outside seems to dispel the air flow more than in a room.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Use the touch pad at the bottom of the fan to control it (that is all we ever use on our wall unit).

Seems a bit pointless in buying a remote control ????

Could have saved some beer money and  bought a normal pull string model :whistling:  

Not really sure bigger is better for concentrated airflow as our Mira 12" wall fans have to be on lowest setting to avoid blowing us away (had to attach one to a 110v transformer to keep speeds low enough for prayer room).   They really blow a very strong storm (and only cost about 700 baht).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsJwWD10IXw6s0gafcXzb

Edited by lopburi3

8 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Seems a bit pointless in buying a remote control ????

Could have saved some beer money and  bought a normal pull string model :whistling:  

Not always under beer drinker control - other outside fan is indeed the pull string type.   Wife does find touch control easier than pull cords (always the wrong cord).

• Like 1