Taking a trip to southern Thailand

watgate

Myself and the wife and daughter are heading to southern Thailand around the end of March and will be staying in a rental property in Prachuap Khiri Khan for the month of April. I have an ambitious plan and am in need of some info from all you wise and hardened fellow travelers who have explored southern Thailand.  We will be departing Isaan and will spend a nite in a hotel in the Bangkok area and the following day we will be going to Prachuap Khiri Khan to our rental property.

After settling in at the rental house we will be departing for Chumphon, then Ranong, Khao Lak, Phuket, Phang Nga Bay, Surat Thani and then one or more islands such as Ko Samui, Ko Tao, and Ko Phangan. We will then be heading back to Prachuap Khiri Khan, and once there will take a ride to Hua Hin and spend 1-2 nites there.

I would like to know if my proposed itinerary is good in so far as there won't be any having to double back to see something we might have missed along the way.  Our stays in hotels along the route will be flexible and as far as distances go what would be practical as far as distances driven so as to be able to at least see some of the recommended sights and scenery along the way. How is Khao Lak and is it worth a layover to sightsee?  I am figuring on spending at least 2 nites on Phuket and realize it is a big island so any suggestions on what to see considering we will be there for approximately 2 -2 1/2 days for sightseeing. 

Is Chumphon worth spending a nite and what would one recommend to see there?  What about Ranong? Anything interesting to see there and is it worth a layover. I realize we will have to spend at least 7-8 or maybe more nites in hotels as we travel so any info as to distances involved and what is practical would be most apppreciated.

I am looking forward to Phang Nga Bay and want to go to the lookout at Samet Nangshe Resort or Ao Tho Li Viewpoint to get a panoramic view of the bay. We will also most likely take a boat tour to James Bond island.

I understand Surat Thani does not have much to see but is a place one goes to hop a ferry to one or more of the islands such as Samui, Tao, or Phanagan. As I said previously we will most likely spend a nite in Surat Thani and then catch a boat to one or more of the islands.

Basically this is somewhat of a whirlwind excursion to take in a lot of the area down south and hopefully see some of the sights and  attractions it is known for.  After we finish our trip we will have a much better understanding of what there is  to  offer and see and we will undoubtedly have future trips to go to those places or areas we really liked so we can explore in much more greater detail.

So, in summation, any suggestions or recommendations as to places or things to see or hotels to stay at and places to eat would be appreciated. Also, any route planning info such as distances involved considering our itinerary and what is practical each day taking into consideration the terrain and distances involved would be most helpful in our planning.

Thank you.

Doesn't sound very relaxing being on the move all the time like that.  I think you are trying to fit too much in. but that's just my personal opinion.

One thing to consider, Songkran around the 12th April. Many Thais will start to head home for the holidays or to their destination of choice. So the roads will start to get busy. You might want to consider where to be for the Songkran holiday celebrations. If there are any..

HTH

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, watgate said:

After settling in at the rental house we will be departing for Chumphon, then Ranong, Khao Lak, Phuket, Phang Nga Bay, Surat Thani and then one or more islands such as Ko Samui, Ko Tao, and Ko Phangan. We will then be heading back to Prachuap Khiri Khan, and once there will take a ride to Hua Hin and spend 1-2 nites there.

Sounds exhausting.

Wife's family is from the Prachuap province, travelling up from Hat Yai on the N-S highway is something I dread.

• Like 1