About opening a bank account in Thailand

Opening a bank account in the current climate is a bit of a lottery. If you are on a Non-B with work permit or are retired, it won't be a problem. Otherwise, you will probably end up needing to go to many different branches to try and find a manager that is willing to do it. Many on here will boast about how they have opened accounts on tourist visas, I would take these stories with a grain of salt as it was either done many years ago, or is just false, so irrelevant to your circumstances.

When opening a new account, they won't need to see three statements from your UK bank. And as to it being a joint account, if you have a Thai husband, yes it is possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Get a one year rental contract and take it together with your passport to Krungsri, they will most likely open a bank account for you, type of visa doesn't matter, can be done with a tourist visa. If one branch denies you just go to another.

I think you'll find nowadays that Krungsri are usually asking for a work permit when you ask to open an account and if you don't have one then they'll politely direct you to the exit. But having a one year rental contract will definitely help.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Seriously? Did not know that.

My first bank account was in Rawaii at SCB and was done on a single entry tourist visa.  When Asked why I needed an account, I just explained that I needed to pay my rent by bank transfer to my landlord and it was no problem. 

Since then, moving forward 15 years, I have opened up new accounts and it has been a bit of a chore, had to have either a WP or be on a Retirement Visa.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

My first bank account was in Rawaii at SCB and was done on a single entry tourist visa.  When Asked why I needed an account, I just explained that I needed to pay my rent by bank transfer to my landlord and it was no problem. 

But now you can't do this. Which is why I told the OP to ignore such stories.

3 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

But now you can't do this. Which is why I told the OP to ignore such stories.

That is not exactly what you said

29 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I would take these stories with a grain of salt as it was either done many years ago, or is just false, so irrelevant to your circumstances.

That is what you said, and you stated that it was just false.  Might want to retract your statement then. 

A friend who just arrived from the US, and is now back in Rawaii training Muay Thai for 3 months just went to the same SCB bank in Rawaii and opened up an account on a Tourist visa.  It is hit and miss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is not exactly what you said

That is what you said, and you stated that it was just false.  Might want to retract your statement then. 

A friend who just arrived from the US, and is now back in Rawaii training Muay Thai for 3 months just went to the same SCB bank in Rawaii and opened up an account on a Tourist visa.  It is hit and miss.

Thanks for the input. Like I said it's a lottery. But the general consensus now is that you cannot open a bank account in Thailand on a tourist visa, unless you have some kind of connections. I apologise if I was not clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it was NO problem opening a bankaccount Krungsri
At that time 7 month ago i went together with my girlfriend and the only requirement was that my girlfriend must ""garantee"" for me. She showed her ID and Housebook
I got my account/internetbanking/bankbook
The account is on my name only and put a small amount (500 bht) on it.
Very simple

5 minutes ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

At that time 7 month ago i went together with my girlfriend and the only requirement was that my girlfriend must ""garantee"" for me. She showed her ID and Housebook
Very simple

You last entered Thailand visa exempt, tourist visa or ......?

I received the following today:

Dear Khun ....................,

We would like to inform you that if you would like to open an account for retirement case. Please bring passport and Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” Long Stay (Retirement visa) to any Krungthai branches. the minimum deposit is 500 baht.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Krungthai Contact center at 02-1111111 , 24 hours everyday.

For more information and benefits, please kindly visit www.krungthai.com or via application Line@Krungthai Connext

Sincerely yours,
Krungthai Contact Center
KrungThai Bank PCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I received the following today:

Dear Khun ....................,

We would like to inform you that if you would like to open an account for retirement case. Please bring passport and Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” Long Stay (Retirement visa) to any Krungthai branches. the minimum deposit is 500 baht.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Krungthai Contact center at 02-1111111 , 24 hours everyday.

For more information and benefits, please kindly visit www.krungthai.com or via application Line@Krungthai Connext

Sincerely yours,
Krungthai Contact Center
KrungThai Bank PCL.

Thanks for sharing. Useful to know if I enter Thailand on the Non Imm 0-A visa.

The issue I have is trying to obtain the Non-Imm 0 (Retirement visa) having entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa (TV). I would need to open a Thai bank account to park the 800k THB as part of this visa application requirements and would only be able to bring my passport and TV. I think this would be declined but unable to get final confirmation.

I may try the Line ID and ask direct to clarify.

3 hours ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

Very simple

Oh really?

What branch and who was the person at the bank who opened the account for you.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh really?

What branch and who was the person at the bank who opened the account for you.

What is the point in asking for the name of the employee who was kind enough to help him.?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Albaby said:

What is the point in asking for the name of the employee who was kind enough to help him.?

I think it was a fair enough question. BTW the name of person was not important, more their role at the bank.

I have been here several years and obtained a bank account many years ago. Would of perhaps had a tourist visa at the time. I had to try several banks and finally obtained one. All the others were fixated on work permit, despite me explaining I was obtaining a non O based on retirement, meaning NO work. In the end think I signed a doc that stated I accept no interest.

Fast forward to recent times. I decided to open a dedicated bank account (another bank) at the time when rules for money in the bank method changed. Naturally I had existing bank account. A 12 month lease and more importantly a 12 month extension stamp in passport (non o retirement). Again I had a difficult time. I took my partner to Bangkok Bank as she has a bank account with them. They were prepared to open an account however they wanted some rubbish from my Oz embassy along with something from my Oz bank. This was at head office Sukhumvit bkk. In the end I was able to open FD and savings account with Kasikorn. The point is that to make it sound like a walk in the part gives bit of simplistic approach to it. Good that he had easy experience. Exception to the rule based on my experience. Think I asked him earlier in the thread how he last entered Thailand, meaning visa exempt, tourist visa, etc. Don't think I saw a reply.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, jackdd said:

Get a one year rental contract and take it together with your passport to Krungsri, they will most likely open a bank account for you, type of visa doesn't matter, can be done with a tourist visa. If one branch denies you just go to another.

Agree they are the best, Although until you get a 1yr visa/extension you will be limited on what type of account you can have, the first one will be a tourist acc. and ATM card for electronic use only. Maybe now, but when i opened mine no rent agreement needed only gave name of hotel i was staying at. After you can get a Mee Tae Dai account currently paying 1.% interest. up to 1000000 more and interest goes down. No tax to pay.

Edited by brianthainess
add info

21 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

As someone who has recently traipsed around Bangkok trying to open an account, I can confirm that the first thing that they ask for is a work permit. If you don't have one then they'll try to get rid of you. But I'm not retired, so YMMV.

Same thing happened to me years ago. Went to several banks all wanting work permit and at the time I was needing bank account to obtain non O (RETIREMENT). Eventually I was able to open one and was on tourist visa.

Did you manage to open account and what did you use to enter Thailand last? Tourist visa or......?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you manage to open account and what did you use to enter Thailand last? Tourist visa or......?

I was on a Non-O based on marriage to a Thai national.  Tried to open an account at at least 20 branches, they all wanted a work permit. As I don't work in Thailand, I don't have one. Got lucky at one branch because my wife recognised someone there that she knew from school. Otherwise I think I'd still be looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

As someone who has recently traipsed around Bangkok trying to open an account, I can confirm that the first thing that they ask for is a work permit. If you don't have one then they'll try to get rid of you. But I'm not retired, so YMMV.

Which banks did you try? There are banks where your chances are better, some where they are worse, and there are also banks where it's basically impossible without a work permit. So if you tried some of the "impossible" banks your result is no surprise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Which banks did you try? There are banks where your chances are better, some where they are worse, and there are also banks where it's basically impossible without a work permit. So if you tried some of the "impossible" banks your result is no surprise.

I think I tried at least 6 different banks. But like I said, I'm not retired and not working, living off the proceeds of the sale of a property in the UK, I think they thought that this was suspicious.

Edited by BenDeCosta