Certificate of Entry

Is it correct that holders of PR and Thais can apply and arrange for COE in Thailand before departure? I would like to go to Europe and US for a few days, but I can't even contemplate such a trip, if I know, or estimate, that it would take me months to be away, as I really can't be away for more than 2 weeks. A friend (a Thai) is planning to go to the US and told me that it is possible to apply and arrange for COE before departure here in Thailand. I have my doubts, but can anyone confirm this??

“I does not take very long to get a COE.”

Based upon my recent experience I would disagree with that.  Things can happen during the process: Documents were not “viewable”???  Etc, Etc. Also, this is for the LA Consulate only and based upon my experience  I had to upload proof of flight reservations to Bangkok and ASQ Hotel Confirmation before the COE application was even considered.  

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Based upon my recent experience I would disagree with that.

It of course it can vary but I am aware of people getting one in a few days.

Delays are often incurred if you are having to applying for a visa to use for entry.

"Delays are often incurred if you are having to applying for a visa to use for entry."

Based upon my experience the Visa and COE were two different transactions.  In order to process a COE application one must hold a valid visa or Re-Entry permit first.  The LA Consulate would not process my COE until my visa had been issued.  The Visa was approved in 7 days.  The real fun started when the COE process started.  The joys of the COE process allowed me additional weeks in the USA.  One doe not really know what the COE process is like unless one has had the joy of first hand experience of this unforgettable  experience(I hope to never do it again).  Of course each experience will be different(some will enjoy it and some not so much)>    

8 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In order to process a COE application one must hold a valid visa or Re-Entry permit

Did you go through the process prior to entry visa exempt being possible or you wanted/needed a visa entry.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

“I does not take very long to get a COE.”

Based upon my recent experience I would disagree with that.  Things can happen during the process: Documents were not “viewable”???  Etc, Etc. Also, this is for the LA Consulate only and based upon my experience  I had to upload proof of flight reservations to Bangkok and ASQ Hotel Confirmation before the COE application was even considered.  

It seems you may have been under the misguided impression that you could secure a CoE before you book your flight and ASQ hotel, which of course is not correct. No one can obtain their CoE unless they have all requirements in place. 

Based on my experience the CoE process took 3 hours - from registration, receiving pre-approval to receiving the CoE via e-mail.

IF someone has all their documents in order, in the correct format, with flight bookings, ASQ confirmation etc the CoE process is a quick and simple process. 

IF however, someone registers before they have flight and ASQ bookings and don’t have their documents in the correct format etc (i.e. wrong file type, file size too large etc) they are going to encountered delays - the major delay naturally being the time it takes them to book their flight and ASQ !

The COE process is not difficult and is fairly fast. I applied for my COE from the Embassy in DC on a Thursday night and received it on Saturday morning. This was about 2 weeks ago. You do need the proper paperwork to upload, visa, unless going exempt, insurance, flight confirmation and ASQ confirmation. Only difficulty is the wording on a couple of fields is a confusing.

The Visa process was equally simple on line and took about 7 days round trip from filing, payment, mailing the visa and documents and the return mail back to me. 

I do not assume anyone who had difficulties in the COE did anything wrong.  In my case the Visa approval process was quick and straightforward.  This was done through the mail.  From start to finish 7 days and I got my passport back with the new OA Visa.  The problems started with two documents in the COE process.  I uploaded the same two documents five times in a 10 days.  The first 4 attempts were returned with a "Rejection" email for the following reasons: 1) Need to resize the documents 2) The documents could not be viewed????3) The documents should smaller(really 64KB's???).  For unknown reasons the COE was approved on the fifth attempt and the documents were never changed.  Both the Visa and COE processes are simple and straightforward(on paper) but depending on who reviews your application(s) your results may vary.  

The lesson of the COE process is to allow much more time than the 15 days that are recommended. I would recommend at least 21 days "just in case".  

20 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The COE process is not difficult and is fairly fast. I applied for my COE from the Embassy in DC on a Thursday night and received it on Saturday morning. This was about 2 weeks ago. You do need the proper paperwork to upload, visa, unless going exempt, insurance, flight confirmation and ASQ confirmation. Only difficulty is the wording on a couple of fields is a confusing.

The Visa process was equally simple on line and took about 7 days round trip from filing, payment, mailing the visa and documents and the return mail back to me. 

Dan... you are not allow to say its easy - You’ll be accused of being on high horse by someone who’s crowning achievement is being in Thailand for 10 years !!!

3 Days is a good response. People havre reported that the US takes a little longer so it will be good for people to know that it takes 3 days even on a weekend. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dan... you are not allow to say its easy - You’ll be accused of being on high horse by someone who’s crowning achievement is being in Thailand for 10 years !!!

3 Days is a good response. People havre reported that the US takes a little longer so it will be good for people to know that it takes 3 days even on a weekend. 

Yes I was actually shocked that I got the COE on  Saturday. I think 3 days seems to be about average in the US from the people I've talked to here.  

The wording on the on-line apps could be clearer but hey its a conversion from Thai so it's sort of expected. They could also clean up the instructions a bit but it is doable. 

Archived