Learn Thai Videos

Neeranam

These are spoken too quickly for me. My friend was staying in แพร่ recently to attend a funeral.  He called me on Facetime because he was bored with being “trapped” by locals. They wanted to speak to him but he could only nod and smile because he could not understand everything. I find that encouraging. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, tgeezer said:

These are spoken too quickly for me. My friend was staying in แพร่ recently to attend a funeral.  He called me on Facetime because he was bored with being “trapped” by locals. They wanted to speak to him but he could only nod and smile because he could not understand everything. I find that encouraging. 

You can play these videos at 0.50 0r 0.75x speed, which is often helpful for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad I went back and gave this a second look. At first, I mistakenly thought it was all geared towards learning Isaan which I don't want to confuse myself with just now. But a deeper look revealed a variety of topics and short videos that perfectly match my attention span. I can understand her pretty well, but it takes full concentration. I watch a video once at 0.75X speed, and then a couple of times at normal speed. Brain fatigue sets in and I have to take a break. Doing that a couple of times a day is great practice for listening comprehension. Excellent resource. Thanks.

• Like 1

This is a low intermediate level (my guesstimate) resource that's been mentioned here before. If you can read or learning to read Thai the available transcripts are great. The speaker speaks naturally and is soothing to listen to:

Thai recordings with individual audio, image and Thai transcripts:
https://www.aakanee.com/thai-illustrations.html

Watch the same recordings on YouTube but with the images embedded:
"Pablo Román Thai Recordings"
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOKPImLWvaffrJv9V5cumhj76EN7jjWok

I recommend downloading the Thai transcripts from aakanee.com and then watch the corresponding YouTube videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, tgeezer said:

Most Thai speak informal Thai and not the formal Thai that they teach in Thai courses which are only useful for listening to Thai news or newspapers. Formal Thai has a lot of long Indic words that most Thai don't use in everyday conversation.

I found that the hard way and wasted a lot of money and time on useless Thai courses.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@Neeranam

This isn't learn Thai videos. This is just a guy speaking Thai. 

I might as well watch Thai movies which is more interesting.

First, it seems to be a woman ( she says " ka " instead of" krap" ( I admit that first time I thought it was a guy )) , and yes, not very interesting text and not for learning,  just to listen Thai language spoken in normal speed; I am not so advanced to understand movies, that's why having the thai text in same time is very useful for me 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Aforek said:

First, it seems to be a woman ( she says " ka " instead of" krap" ( I admit that first time I thought it was a guy )) , and yes, not very interesting text and not for learning,  just to listen Thai language spoken in normal speed; I am not so advanced to understand movies, that's why having the thai text in same time is very useful for me 

I am creating a new thread for more interesting videos to learn Thai.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 7:08 PM, EricTh said:

@Neeranam

This isn't learn Thai videos. This is just a guy speaking Thai. 

I might as well watch Thai movies which is more interesting.

It is a girl speaking Thai and I would have thought if you can speak Thai you would know that just by the sound of her voice.

Secondly I think the videos are clearly spoken and helpful.

Edited by mlkik
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlkik said:

It is a girl speaking Thai.

Whatever! I don't care whether it's a lady, boy, or ladyboy.

What is important is the content of the video. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Many people don't realize that as foreigners, we want to converse with the ordinary Thai people and not become Thai newscasters.

The Thai spoken in the videos is too formal and most Thai don't speak like that. It's only for newscasters or in formal situation.

Formal Thai has many Sanskrit/Pali words that isn't used much by ordinary Thai people.

I find that many foreigners can't even understand lower intermediate Thai that is less formal and would be more useful in real-life. 

For those who want to learn formal Thai, you can continue watching these videos but I prefer to watch those videos that ordinary Thai speak.

Are you the Thai teacher or related to her in the video? No offense meant.

Edited by EricTh

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Many people don't realize that as foreigners, we want to converse with the ordinary Thai people and not become Thai newscasters.

The Thai spoken in the videos is too formal and most Thai don't speak like that. It's only for newscasters or in formal situation.

Formal Thai has many Sanskrit words that isn't used much by ordinary Thai people.

I find that many foreigners can't even understand intermediate Thai that is less formal and would be more useful in real-life. 

For those who want to learn formal Thai, you can continue watching these videos but I am watching those videos that ordinary Thai speak.

Are you the Thai teacher in the video? No offense meant.

The Thai spoken in the video was spoken clearly and was normal central Thai which I understood completely. Not formal at all ,just pronounced clearly .

When I began learning Thai 29 years ago I learned to pronounce words clearly and my vocab that I learned included formal and colloquial.

To learn a language and understand to your best ability you need to understand and speak both formal and colloquial as certain situations require a different response.

The original poster has posted these videos to help but unfortunately some people always try to find fault when people try to help others.

Edited by mlkik
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Whatever! I don't care whether it's a lady, boy, or ladyboy.

What is important is the content of the video. 

If you can not even tell the difference between a lady speaking Thai and a man speaking  Thai then I dont think I will be taking language learning advice from you.

Edited by mlkik
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Some more listening practice. Nanake น้าเน็ก is very popular in a phone in format where he gives advice. I think the majority are women callers with various relationship issues. Some are pretty funny and lots of slang. I think even EricTh would approve. With subtitles in Thai.

Here's one that's pretty funny- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1R4jKWGjo

Loads of his videos here- https://www.youtube.com/c/NANAKE555/videos

• Like 1