Grab, Food Panda and Tuk....how does the driver get paid?

SamSanuk

I make use of all three services for food delivery. Each service has their own delivery fees. 

For example, on Tuk recently, they added 40 baht for delivery. Grab charged me 15 baht a few days ago. 

Does the driver get that delivery money?

If anyone can tell me how the drivers get paid for each service, that would be very helpful in tipping.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard that the drivers cut from the delivery services markup isn't a lot hence their bat out of hell delivery style. I just use the standard 5% to 8% as a guide but usually just tell them to keep the change. For example, a 660 baht delivery, I give them 700 baht and they get 40 baht.

Driver get maybe 20 bth/ delivery. Not more anyway. My misses sister sell sweed's in delivery service company.

Food Panda take 30-33% from her! Still add delivery cost to client so they make good money!

Edited by 2 is 1

I'm sure there's more to it than that. Because my grab food deliveries often come seven or eight kilometers for a 25 baht delivery fee. My Thai friends and family never tip and the delivery drivers don't seem to expect it except from americans! I'm guessing the food companies supplement this or they get a percentage from the food cost.

• Like 1

I used to do Instacart--personal grocery shopping basically and deliver it within an hour....same kind of gig job

Had to use the app and be "cleared" to work..(not a murderer I guess) and sent them pics of approved thermal bags

And that was basically it.. baptism by fire to figure it all out..got most info thru reddit forums or other insta workers

You are an Independent contractor so they dont have to give you insurance or any kind of benefits ..no surprise

It based on your phone and location as to who is nearest...so I would hang out at my fav grocery store which had a nice

coffee shop--prepared foods-etc...id be on my laptop waiting, already on scene as I knew the store and employees well,

as they grade u on timing as its a constant race to improve your stats...i got a few speeding tix due to this......lost $$$

So Id get a "hit" on my phone..id review the grocery order...some were small(lazy)..some big(families), cases of water(stairs)

or old people..etc......the biggest pain was waiting at deli for lunch meat as on a busy weekend it cost me my time "stats"

I was paid a % to shop, and a % to deliver it.....most added tip to bill on credit card BUT that counts as INCOME and is TAXED.

So cash was "under the table" and went back into the gas tank....I dogged my car out and had to replace all the brakes...

and is stressful when people dont answer the door, complain, try to return stuff and the worst part which led me to quit..

they BAIT you with a big tip, you shop and pack a huge order, drive it way out to the edge of your "zone" and have to drive back,

and then they CHANGE the tip, which they allow you to do within 3 days.... the typical bait n switch that people abuse, naturally..

So the wear and tear on your car, taxed tips, gas, labor, stress, miles driven, no insurance...its all falls back on worker..

Then they flood the market taking away your hours so if you quit some other sucker will fill your spot..could be decent as a SIDE

job with and old burner car you dont care about..but it gives you the ILLUSION of good money until you break it all down.....

Moral of the story..tip CASH and if you use them alot..give them your # and pay them off the app..they will love you....

I don't know what the drivers get exactly, but there definitely has to be some money in it, which we can guess by looking at the bikes some of them ride.

Some people ride newish PCX or NMAX, which effectively (purchase, maintenance, fuel...) costs about 2.5 THB per kilometer to run. Then there are people who ride a 10 year old Honda Wave which might cost only 1 THB per kilometer to run. Let's assume they ride about 100 kilometers a day.

I guess the guys riding the PCX aren't the smartest guys, but probably smart enough that they wouldn't ride if they were losing money, they probably still make at least 200-300THB a day. This then means the smarter Honda Wave guys (who spend 1.5 THB per kilometer less for their bike) make at least 350-450 THB per day. That's a normal (if they make more than this, even a quite good) pay for this kind of job.

I tend to tip those who don't annoy me (by asking inane questions about my location while dozens of other drivers are able to use their excellent map) and those who have to wait for my order at the restaurant for a longer than usual time more generously than others. I'd guess that their salary isn't bad compared with similar jobs, but I'm sure some tips here and there are appreciated.

Edited by Caldera

Minimal income, no medical insurance, zero hours contract. Sounds like modern slavery to me. The "gig economy" is a ridiculous concept that takes advantage of unemployment. Companies like Uber & Deliveroo are not profitable but valued at billions. One day this house of cards will fold.

19 hours ago, Caldera said:

I tend to tip those who don't annoy me (by asking inane questions about my location while dozens of other drivers are able to use their excellent map) and those who have to wait for my order at the restaurant for a longer than usual time more generously than others. I'd guess that their salary isn't bad compared with similar jobs, but I'm sure some tips here and there are appreciated.

Frustrating, some of them. Wanting me to go downstairs and collect the delivery. I won't be in it bring it to my room or I won't pay. I use cash on delivery for that reason, they quickly find me.