Judge in George Floyd police trial weighs impact of $27 million settlement on jury

webfact

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Great, you are using Minneapolis as a comparison - a police force that has a long list of misconduct.

Ok let me show you a comparison.  

image.png.3364518463fcf256473a8e9726e3b80c.png
image.thumb.png.b87e917811925284f5271892f780ffb7.png

This video shows the man entering the Dallas Corrections Lobby.  He was not under arrest but pleading for help. The man was on Cocaine and Meth and suffered from heart disease ( sound familiar)  Despite the video here is what the coroner in events almost identical to George Floyd found.  Now what was different about these two cases.  Joseph Hutchenson who died in the Dallas County Jail was on Cocaine vs. Fetanyl a less powerful drug.   The Medical Examiner specifically pointed out the factor of drugs, hypertension, and heart disease in his findings. Joseph Hutchenson is white, Joseph Hutchenson was not under arrest, and the police officer kneeling on Mr. Hutchenson was black.  Despite being ruled a homicide no charges were filed against the police officers and I can find no record of any payment to Mr. Hutchensons family. 

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Which has nothing to do with what i said.

The clerk called police because of the bill. The police never checked it before arresting him. They also never told him why he was arrested.

Your link doesnt go against that. That states they checked after the arrest.

52 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The man was under arrest.  Do you mean to tell me if a police officer stopped you here in Thailand that you would not comply with instructions.  

While you may disagree with the tactics of officer Chauvin the reality is that Mr. Floyd 

1. Had drugs inside his car.  The very fact that the police had probably cause meant that even if the money was not counterfeit, he would  be facing drug possession charges. 

2. Mr. Floyd was foaming at the mouth.  They placed him in handcuffs and put him in the back of the police cruiser.  He bashed his head repeatedly against the window ( potentially being a danger to himself).  He violently kicked inside the police cruiser.  Police then used the "knee restraint"   Which as previously explained was a procedure authorized for use by the Minneapolis Police Dept. 

Ok now I would like to challenge you.  George Floyd is in the back of the police cruiser, thrashing and potentially injuring himself.  You are the police officer.  What exactly do you do to prevent Mr. Floyd from being a danger to himself, the police officers and the general public.  Mr. Floyd was 6"6" ( 198 Cm) and weighed 223 pounds ( 101kg)  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-rendered-44-people-unconscious-neck-restraints-five-years-n1220416

image.thumb.png.c36319f3df43c55bb5183bd65de41b0d.png
Over the past 5 years 44 people according to records were rendered unconscious using the technique. 

Im not in thailand and this is not about thailand.

If you are arrested they must tell you why. If not arrested then you are free to walk away, even if police tell you that you cannot.

30 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Ok let me show you a comparison.  

image.png.3364518463fcf256473a8e9726e3b80c.png
image.thumb.png.b87e917811925284f5271892f780ffb7.png

This video shows the man entering the Dallas Corrections Lobby.  He was not under arrest but pleading for help. The man was on Cocaine and Meth and suffered from heart disease ( sound familiar)  Despite the video here is what the coroner in events almost identical to George Floyd found.  Now what was different about these two cases.  Joseph Hutchenson who died in the Dallas County Jail was on Cocaine vs. Fetanyl a less powerful drug.   The Medical Examiner specifically pointed out the factor of drugs, hypertension, and heart disease in his findings. Joseph Hutchenson is white, Joseph Hutchenson was not under arrest, and the police officer kneeling on Mr. Hutchenson was black.  Despite being ruled a homicide no charges were filed against the police officers and I can find no record of any payment to Mr. Hutchensons family. 

I dont see 9 mins of a knee into him after he was cuffed and restrained.

33 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Which has nothing to do with what i said.

The clerk called police because of the bill. The police never checked it before arresting him. They also never told him why he was arrested.

It appears as though you are attempting to deflect on issues that really are not pertinent.  The fact the police did or did not check the bill is irrelevant.  Mr. Floyd was under arrest.  Even if the police officers were wrong that in no way gives a person the right to 1. Resist arrest 2. bash your head against the windows of the police cruiser and 3. kick the cruiser interior with your legs. 

Mr. Floyd had been reported by the store employee to be attempting to pass what was believed to be a counterfeit bill.  He stated the man appeared drunk  That alone gave police probable cause to hold him given the fact he was foaming at the mouth, was reported to be drunk and was driving a car.  

Here is the actual account of what took place and you are dead wrong.  He was told why he was being arrested.  Again even if that were not true it is irrelevant since it in now way gives him the leeway to resist arrest or become unruly. 

image.thumb.png.237cd162500ccf010cd4636169973a63.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52861726#16160465786252&{"sender":"offer-0-FJjln","displayMode":"inline","recipient":"opener","event":"resize","params":{"height":410,"iframeId":"offer-0-FJjln"}}

Edited by Thomas J

28 minutes ago, Sujo said:

If you are arrested they must tell you why. If not arrested then you are free to walk away, even if police tell you that you cannot.

This is a lie. In the United States, the police generally DO NOT have to tell you why you are being arrested. 

You crack me up.

• Thanks 2

Chauvin is a bad cop, a racist, had a terrible record, and someone who has been protected by the incredibly toxic police union for a very long time, and that is likely the only reason he was still on the force.

Lock him up. Guilty as charged. Video evidence. What more does a jury need? 

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Chauvin is a bad cop, a racist, had a terrible record, and someone who has been protected by the incredibly toxic police union for a very long time, and that is likely the only reason he was still on the force.

Lock him up. Guilty as charged. Video evidence. What more does a jury need? 

Agree. The video evidence is damning. 9 mins on his neck and even stayed there after he was dead.

Anything about what floyd did or his past is irrelevant.

Chauvin will have a tough time in jail.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Agree. The video evidence is damning. 9 mins on his neck and even stayed there after he was dead.

Anything about what floyd did or his past is irrelevant.

Chauvin will have a tough time in jail.

Hopefully the creep will meet alot of new friends, who will make him feel right at home, and pay lots of attention to him. I hear cops do not do well in prison. Especially racists, who like to choke unarmed men. 

3 hours ago, Sujo said:

OK Perry Mason, provide evidence....please. You can't just throw BS around.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully the creep will meet alot of new friends, who will make him feel right at home, and pay lots of attention to him. I hear cops do not do well in prison. Especially racists, who like to choke unarmed men. 

a judge will take that into consideration at sentencing and may shorten the time he serves.

Police do get it very tough in there.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

How are you going to feel when he walks away a free man?

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Like i did when oj walked. Disgusted with the US system, and it has never recovered.

But at least floyds family are now taken care.

Edited by Sujo

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Quite disenchanted, frustrated, angry, and disheartened, like about 100 million other Americans, and hundreds of millions around the world, who would lose even more faith in the highly tainted American judicial system, it's ability to contain racism within the police departments, it's utter inability to rein in the spectacularly toxic police unions, and the completely broken legal system, with regard to extreme prejudice in favor of high priced counsel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Like i did when oj walked. Disgusted with the US system, and it has never recovered.

But at least floyds family are now taken care.

If Chavin is found not guilty, the cases against the other 3 will collapse. Maybe they should file a lawsuit themselves.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If Chavin is found not guilty, the cases against the other 3 will collapse. Maybe they should file a lawsuit themselves.

Yeah good luck with that. Not gonna happen as they have no grounds.

i doubt they will be guilty, chauvin was their boss.

chauvin alone will do time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, Sujo said:

This isn’t quite correct Sujo.

An officer may detain you with probable cause that doesn’t meet the criteria for an arrest.

Example a traffic cop pulls you over and asks if you know why he stopped you.  The answer is always, ‘am I free to leave?’, it is not ‘yes I might have been speeding’ (handing the officer probable cause.

An officer does not have to immediately tell you why you are being arrested, it is not part of Miranda rights.  However, if the Officer fails to advise you before you seek legal advice he may have prejudiced your rights to obtain the correct legal advice’. 

If detained by a a police officer, your first and last question should be ‘Am I free to leave?’

Officers have the right to use force to prevent you leaving if they are detaining you and sadly the force they use is often lethal, though more frequently lethal for some sections of society than others.

• Like 1

I've seen the full video, and, knowing all the sh*t that the cops have to deal with all day every day, I thought they showed remarkable patience and courtesy. Floyd was a drugged-up criminal resisting arrest - plus one hell of a cry-baby. The kneehold was prolonged but not illegal in itself. The death was a misfortune that Floyd brought on himself. Case dismissed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1