Judge in George Floyd police trial weighs impact of $27 million settlement on jury

webfact

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The cop was restraining a person who had a history with the cops. Try reading the link I provided. Sheds a new light on things.

Police  have it tough making split second decisions and dealing with the worst of the worst. In many cases they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

In this case though it's a tough job for the defence when he is literally standing on the guy, with no ongoing threat,  and bystanders are bringing the threat to George Floyd's life to his attention and for a lengthy period he chose to do nothing. 

• Like 1

So the taxpayers are being punished.

Do you think anyone in the government or police department give a happy rats how much it is? No skin off their backs. 

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

So the taxpayers are being punished.

Do you think anyone in the government or police department give a happy rats how much it is? No skin off their backs. 

Yes they do, are they also tax payers?

If tax payers are being punished then they are also punished.

The officers also lost their job, so yes other officers will care.

Thats what the trial will be about. It has nothing to do with him being a felon or a bad person.

It will solely be about whether kneeling on a neck of a handcuffed guy who said he cant breathe for 9 mins would be reasonable or would a reasonable person think it could lead to this.

At least one officer had concerns as he asked chauvin, his superior, if he should be moved.

Edited by onthedarkside

14 minutes ago, Sujo said:

At least one officer had concerns as he asked chauvin, his superior, if he should be moved.

Yes I understand that will be the criminal trial.  However to award $27 million for a person who at the very least contributed greatly to his own death is a travesty of justice.  If George Floyd had ran and the police officer chased him and he died from heart complications from his blocked artery, system loaded with Fentanyl, and Meth Amphetamine would you still say George Floyds family deserved $27 million.  It was strictly the 'OPTICS" that looked bad.  The man had a LETHAL dose of Fentanyl in his system and was Covid positive.  If he was hospitalized and died, they likely would have ruled his death from Covid complications and Drug Overdose. 

19 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Can you link to where it says he must put his knee on his neck?

It sure wasnt the laying on his stomach that killed him.

Yes, in fact neck restraints were in the MPLS police manual and the officers were trained in knee on neck restraint.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-p-d-trained-officers-to-use-the-neck-restraint-that-killed-george-floyd-docs/ar-BB16vgu6

Edited by bluehippie

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Yes I understand that will be the criminal trial.  However to award $27 million for a person who at the very least contributed greatly to his own death is a travesty of justice.  If George Floyd had ran and the police officer chased him and he died from heart complications from his blocked artery, system loaded with Fentanyl, and Meth Amphetamine would you still say George Floyds family deserved $27 million.  It was strictly the 'OPTICS" that looked bad.  The man had a LETHAL dose of Fentanyl in his system and was Covid positive.  If he was hospitalized and died, they likely would have ruled his death from Covid complications and Drug Overdose. 

Punitive damages in the US is very big.

But he died because of a knee on his neck.

The body cam footage and transcripts show that George Floyd was already had "foam" around his mouth.  He was acting agitated and was kicking and banging his head inside the patrol car.  All of that led to him being restrained outside.  The behavior is "consistent" with Excited Delirium which results from drug use.  One thing is for sure, the banging of his head, and foaming at the mouth occurred prior to George Floyd being restrained on the ground and are indicative that he was suffering some "health" problems long before any restraint was placed on him. 
image.png.01ab85f8784f87c134dc7d060d5b9d9b.png

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/transcripts-show-officer-told-george-floyd-it-takes-a-lot-of-oxygen-to-talk-before-his-death

From the link i provided earlier.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/george-floyd.html

The county medical examiner ruled the death a homicide caused by a combination of the officers’ use of force, the presence of fentanyl and methamphetamine in Mr. Floyd’s system and his underlying health conditions.

Note the term, homicide.

Edited by onthedarkside

Ex-officer on trial for deadly arrest asks to show jury an earlier George Floyd arrest

(Reuters) - About a year before George Floyd was killed in a deadly arrest by Minneapolis police officers last May, he had a different encounter with police in which he also became distressed as an officer pointed a gun at him and ordered him out of a car.

On Tuesday, a lawyer for Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer on trial for murder charges for Floyd’s death, asked the judge to allow the jury, which is still being selected, to see evidence of the earlier episode.

In the May 6, 2019 arrest, a panicked Floyd swallowed several opioid pain-killer pills as police approached and was later treated at a hospital. Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s lead lawyer, has argued that the main cause of Floyd’s death a year later, which was ruled a homicide, was the opioid fentanyl found in his blood at autopsy.

Read more here:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-race-georgefloyd-idUSKBN2B82AO

• Thanks 2

Several posts making unsourced and unsubstantiated claims regarding the circumstances and causes of George Floyd's death have been removed, along with a post relying on a non-news media source.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/sep/25/blog-posting/two-autopsies-found-george-floyds-death-was-homici/

Two autopsies found George Floyd’s death was a homicide

"The medical examiner’s office ruled that the manner of Floyd’s death was homicide. 

The cause of death, according to the medical examiner, was "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression." The report goes on to say that Floyd "experienced a cardiopulmonary arrest while being restrained" by law enforcement officers.

What that means: Floyd’s heart stopped as Chauvin restrained him."

AND

"[A second autopsy], requested by Floyd’s family, and conducted by two doctors also found that Floyd’s death was a homicide, though it concluded that they thought he died of asphyxia — or suffocation — not cardiopulmonary arrest as the county medical examiner concluded."

From NBC NEWS

What Derrick Chauvin did to restrain George Floyd was taught and part of the Minneapolis Police Department training manual.  Look at the circumstances where it is permissible to use.
image.png.91ce10c67b498633f958bfad817fbc78.png

Was Mr. Floyd exhibiting aggression.  Was his banging his head an act that taking him out of the car was a potentially life saving purpose. Were lesser attempts at control ineffective. 

If Mr. Floyd had 1. not attempted to pass counterfeit money he would not have been confronted by police.  If Mr. Floyd had not chosen to take Fentanyl and Meth his chances of dying from any restraint would have been diminished, and if he did not choose to become unruly and aggressive while in the back of the police cruiser he would not have been subjected to any further restraint.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-rendered-44-people-unconscious-neck-restraints-five-years-n1220416

55 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

From NBC NEWS

What Derrick Chauvin did to restrain George Floyd was taught and part of the Minneapolis Police Department training manual.  Look at the circumstances where it is permissible to use.

Was Mr. Floyd exhibiting aggression.  Was his banging his head an act that taking him out of the car was a potentially life saving purpose. Were lesser attempts at control ineffective. 

If Mr. Floyd had 1. not attempted to pass counterfeit money he would not have been confronted by police.  If Mr. Floyd had not chosen to take Fentanyl and Meth his chances of dying from any restraint would have been diminished, and if he did not choose to become unruly and aggressive while in the back of the police cruiser he would not have been subjected to any further restraint.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-rendered-44-people-unconscious-neck-restraints-five-years-n1220416

Oh dear, as mentioned earlier, police gave him no reason why he was stopped or arrested.

Im sure you wouldnt be too happy to have a gun on you and restrained for no reason.

regardless, he died because of the knee, thats a fact.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

From NBC NEWS

Police didnt know if the bill was fake, they never checked it.

They simply arrested floyd and never told him why.

How anyone can think kneeling on the neck for 9 mins after the guy is restrained is following the sop is beyond me.

Considering how many people, including black people have been killed by the police forces in the USA, then having the information of

a money settlement come out before the trial of this killer cop, makes me wonder what is up in America.  The idea of having this trial in 

some other country is a good one.  Remember just how many black males have been shot and killed by the USA cops and

just how the courts have handled their cases so far.  ALM is what I believe, but then I live in Canada.  I will watch and try to see if the

eventual trial will really be held with a decent verdict, as most of us have seen the video of Floyds death, all over the world.

Geezer

16 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Considering how many people, including black people have been killed by the police forces in the USA, then having the information of

a money settlement come out before the trial of this killer cop, makes me wonder what is up in America.  The idea of having this trial in 

some other country is a good one.  Remember just how many black males have been shot and killed by the USA cops and

just how the courts have handled their cases so far.  ALM is what I believe, but then I live in Canada.  I will watch and try to see if the

eventual trial will really be held with a decent verdict, as most of us have seen the video of Floyds death, all over the world.

Geezer

I assume a "decent verdict" means one you agree with, yes? What might that be? 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:49 AM, EVENKEEL said:

This settlement never should have happened till after the trial. Or at least shouldn't have been announced.

Then the arrest, charging and trial of the murderer ought to have been handled more quickly. There would have been no riots had the guy been arrested and charged as soon as the video became public.

48 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Then the arrest, charging and trial of the murderer ought to have been handled more quickly. There would have been no riots had the guy been arrested and charged as soon as the video became public.

Exactly, The trial could take years to come up in court as often delays will be asked for by parties to the trial.  Civil and Criminal trials are not connected, they have different standards of proof.  Usually a civil case will occur after a criminal trial - but parties to civil litigation can settle at any time before it comes to court (even in Canada).

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Must have amazing eyesight to see that a bill may be counterfeit without having it in hand and comparing it to a real bill.   I often have bills crumpled in my pocket and if I am pulling something out of my pocket in a car, they can come out of my pocket and look a lot like that (just in a different currency).... but then I am white ... so maybe that helps make the bills look real vs counterfeit...  Derek Chauvin has a very thick jacket with issues with regards to misconduct (well the ones that were not buried) [even in comparison to the other officers in this case].... he should no longer have been a cop at this point. 

Edited by bkkcanuck8

14 hours ago, Sujo said:

Police didnt know if the bill was fake, they never checked it.

The man was under arrest.  Do you mean to tell me if a police officer stopped you here in Thailand that you would not comply with instructions.  

While you may disagree with the tactics of officer Chauvin the reality is that Mr. Floyd 

1. Had drugs inside his car.  The very fact that the police had probably cause meant that even if the money was not counterfeit, he would  be facing drug possession charges. 

2. Mr. Floyd was foaming at the mouth.  They placed him in handcuffs and put him in the back of the police cruiser.  He bashed his head repeatedly against the window ( potentially being a danger to himself).  He violently kicked inside the police cruiser.  Police then used the "knee restraint"   Which as previously explained was a procedure authorized for use by the Minneapolis Police Dept. 

Ok now I would like to challenge you.  George Floyd is in the back of the police cruiser, thrashing and potentially injuring himself.  You are the police officer.  What exactly do you do to prevent Mr. Floyd from being a danger to himself, the police officers and the general public.  Mr. Floyd was 6"6" ( 198 Cm) and weighed 223 pounds ( 101kg)  

image.thumb.png.c36319f3df43c55bb5183bd65de41b0d.png
Over the past 5 years 44 people according to records were rendered unconscious using the technique. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The man was under arrest.  Do you mean to tell me if a police officer stopped you here in Thailand that you would not comply with instructions.  

While you may disagree with the tactics of officer Chauvin the reality is that Mr. Floyd 

1. Had drugs inside his car.  The very fact that the police had probably cause meant that even if the money was not counterfeit, he would  be facing drug possession charges. 

2. Mr. Floyd was foaming at the mouth.  They placed him in handcuffs and put him in the back of the police cruiser.  He bashed his head repeatedly against the window ( potentially being a danger to himself).  He violently kicked inside the police cruiser.  Police then used the "knee restraint"   Which as previously explained was a procedure authorized for use by the Minneapolis Police Dept. 

Ok now I would like to challenge you.  George Floyd is in the back of the police cruiser, thrashing and potentially injuring himself.  You are the police officer.  What exactly do you do to prevent Mr. Floyd from being a danger to himself, the police officers and the general public.  Mr. Floyd was 6"6" ( 198 Cm) and weighed 223 pounds ( 101kg)  

image.thumb.png.c36319f3df43c55bb5183bd65de41b0d.png
Over the past 5 years 44 people according to records were rendered unconscious using the technique. 

Great, you are using Minneapolis as a comparison - a police force that has a long list of misconduct.  Choking (chokeholds) people has been widely banned by police departments across the United States because of the issue of killing people.  'rendered unconscious'  44 of them by one police department.... was asking for it... probably why the city agreed to settle for 27 million.

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

You give the impression that this is a huge number and provide no information.  

Here are the actual numbers  Notice it is about 1,000 each years and in 62% of the cases the victim was also carrying a firearm.  Only 41 out of the thousand were unarmed.  Now what exactly are the police suppose to do when they are face a person involved in potential criminal activity who then brandishes a gun, knife, or other weapon.  Say Please? 

https://www.statista.com/chart/5211/us-citizens-killed-by-police-2016/
image.png.0ddfafef0f3c7dcebbdfbae5b0c84d60.png

Infographic: How Many People Are Killed by Police in the U.S.? | Statista